web statisticsweb stats Business Phone Systems Tech Talk Forum - VOIP & Cloud Phone Help

Business Phone Systems

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#106061 07/06/07 12:18 PM
Tangent Offline OP
OP Offline
I work at a post production house in NYC. We have two 3300 ICPs connected via T1s for our different locations.

We recently had a bunch of 5330 IP phones installed at a new site. Since the desks weren't installed yet, we had our vendor just program the extensions for us and I assigned the phones to the extensions as the desks were installed.

During the install, I noticed that a few of our phones are having an issue where they never get past the DHCP discovery. I can plug them directly into the switch and it still hangs right there. If I leave it long enough I get a DHCP timeout error. All of the other phones get an address fine and work fine, even on the same port as the "broken" phones.

When I check the leases in the controller, it shows the MAC address for the phone I'm assigning as "CONFIG RESERVED". I'm assuming this is a reservation made by the system when I assign the phone's MAC address to the extension.

It may be possible that the phones had issues updating the first time they were attached to the network. Is there a way to force a firmware upgrade on the 5330? Has anyone else experienced this problem with the phone hanging at DHCP discovery?

Thanks in advance,
Phil

Atcom VoIP Phones
VoIP Demo

Best VoIP Phones Canada

Visit Atcom to get started with your new business VoIP phone system ASAP
Turn up is quick, painless, and can often be done same day.
Let us show you how to do VoIP right, resulting in crystal clear call quality and easy-to-use features that make everyone happy!
Proudly serving Canada from coast to coast.

#106062 07/08/07 05:58 AM
Do you have enough IP Addresses reserved for the number of phone you're installing?
If you unplug a phone that's working, will a different get an IP Address??

www.ResaleSystems.com 24 x 7 Mitel Parts and Free Tech Support
#106063 07/08/07 12:20 PM
DSU Offline
I agree - look in form 47 subform 2 - DHCP Leases then subform 9 - Expand. Make sure the range allows enough ip addresses for the amount of phones you are installing. Also verify the "line" is plugged into the "line" jack on the phone and not the PC jack.

Rich

#106064 07/08/07 04:32 PM
Tangent Offline OP
OP Offline
Yes, I've checked the DHCP scope and it has plenty of address space available.

We recently added an additional 30 phones and all of those phones came up with the only change to the system being the addition of the licenses. The problem seems to be isolated to those few particular devices.

I am using Cisco 10/100 PoE switches, so I'm sure the port is correct as the phone powers up. smile I've also tried switching the phone with a known good connection and I get the same issue.

One thing that might have occurred is that the initial firmware update on the phones took a little while longer than usual. The phones sometimes seemed to hang at the "Upgrading HTML Applications" screen as well. Some of the end users may have tried to power cycle the phones if they found them in this state. This is why I wanted to try re-flashing the devices to factory before sending them back.

#106065 07/09/07 10:01 AM
lmb Offline
We have dual controllers here and I had a similar problem until I assigned a static controller ip to the phone. It seems that the phone will try to sync up to the secondary controller even though it has already reserved an IP on the primary.

Try assigning the ICP IP on the phone itself.

#106066 07/11/07 04:49 AM
Check you DHCP scope options you may have to add option 125 there is a revision issue with some of the phones.

Alex Kroger
Pinnacle Communications Corp
Mitel/Hitachi
Nationwide Hospitality Provider
#106067 07/20/07 06:02 AM
Tangent Offline OP
OP Offline
Just as a follow up, we ended up sending the phones back.

We tried setting the phones manually with no luck. Option 125 was being used, but the phones didn't even get as far as getting an address from the system so we ended up just swapping them out with new phones.

Thanks for the help guys.

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums84
Topics94,279
Posts638,738
Members49,763
Most Online5,661
May 23rd, 2018
Popular Topics(Views)
211,284 Shoretel
188,168 CTX100 install
187,015 1a2 system
Newest Members
gohunt, Darrick, telecopippo, highlysecptial, BPopilek
49,762 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
Toner 14
dexman 4
teleco 4
jc2it 4
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 64 guests, and 74 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Contact Us | Sponsored by Atcom: One of the best VoIP Phone Canada Suppliers for your business telephone system!| Terms of Service

Sundance Communications is not affiliated with any of the above manufacturers. Sundance Phone System Forums - VOIP & Cloud Phone Help
©Copyright Sundance Communications 1998-2024