Business Phone Systems

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#132800 04/04/07 03:37 AM
Velcro Offline OP
OP Offline
Hi All, I recently moved a Nortel CICS, not my specialty, but got it moved and reprogrammed but two of the users are a little hard of hearing and want to permanently increase the volume of thier handset. I assumbed like most systems that if you adjusted the volume while on a call that it would stick for the next call. Not so...Is there a way to adjust the volume of the handset for just these two users? Can I adjust the gain on the trunks to increase the volume a little for CO calls system wide?
Thanks,
Velcro

Nortel Phone System Service
VoIP Demo

Nortel Phone System Service in Canada

Do you need a Nortel Phone System technician or specific Nortel parts?
Atcom to the rescue! Our telephone techs have qualified experience servicing and troubleshooting Nortel CICS, MICS, & BCM telephone systems.
Service in Canada from sea to sea.

Go into configuration programming, scroll to system programming, feature settings, receiver volume, change the default setting to "use set volume". Now when an individual changes their handset volume, it will retain the setting.

yes, in system programming, there is a setting called "handset volume" changed from system to user.
Some reason Nortel thinks it should return to the default volume setting.
You cannot adjust the gain of the CO trunks within the system, perhaps a device before the system if this is the route you want to take!

Two girls later and I'm back.....lol...been gone a while but see same faces still here. Lol
RIP Moderator-Mitel, Panasonic
RIP Moderator-Mitel, Panasonic
"Can I adjust the gain on the trunks to increase the volume a little for CO calls system wide?"

If everyone 'wants a little more volume on lines', that usually indicates that levels on lines are marginally adequate. The fun part is that the telco will ask if they can carry on a conversation. If they say yes, that's the end of the conversation! If they say no, the trouble writer will say 'well, we're are talking ok'. Again, end of conversation. There are a couple of things you need to get past this point. A 'loop tester', and the phone number for the '0' Db/ milliwatt tone. The 1st will cost $300-$500. The second is a lot tougher. Why would the telco give you the information you need to force them to do extra work! And you need to have the 1 in the C.O. that your lines are working out of. Otherwise, you are subject to gain/loss problems between C.O.s. If they have problems intra-C.O., it stands to reason that they may have problems inter-C.O.! Alternative? Set up your own '0' Db tone generator on the same C.O. exchange. MORE $! Anyhow, the idea is the '0' Db tone leaves the C.O. at (Fancy this) '0' Db. The 'loop tester' is used to measure the level on the 'loop' at the customer site. The level will AlWAYS be less than the transmitted '0'Db level.(IF it isn't, SOMETHING is wrong. Meter setup, crossed pair, way too loud '0' Db tone,(Like +10!), measuring inside phone system,Something is wrong) Therefore it's always a negative number. Sometimes it's described as "neg (NUMBER)" like NEG 4.5. Other times it's described as down (NUMBER), like 'DOWN 4.2'.
Specs for Ground start are usually -4.5 to -6 Db. You can get 'singing', hollowness, or just plain screeching at -4 to -4.5 or even -5 if you are going groundstart to groundstart. My preference is -5 to -6. Telcos usually won't do anything unless you can demonstrate -7 or worse.
Loop start is a whole different world! I personally have never found printed specs for loop start loss! But, that said, if your loss is -8 Db, complaints will be fairly common. At -10 most people will complain A LOT! However, the telco will generally do something if you can demonstrate -8.5. And do NOT let the tech on site say there are no adjustments. There are, but he is NOT a C.O. tech, so how would he know.
Now if you and the telco tech(s) are on good terms, and I'm assuming Fernley is a small town and you work with the same telco tech(s) every day, then you are probably in luck, IF you have cultivated a good relationship. 'Course if you do nothing but bad mouth 'em and backstab 'em, well rotsa ruck! Burnt bridges are HARD to rebuild. I've gone so far as to lend them a hand when I know they could use it and I've got time. Heck, I've learned stuff from them that helped me, and them, at a later date, and vice-versa. It doesn't pay the bills right away, but what goes around comes around. Besides, you may find out he/she is really a nice person, with some hobby that you have in common. I used to go auctioning with 1 SWB (oops now AT&T) guy. Went hunting with another 1. (I was REAL careful not to irritate him! smile )
Anyhow, hope this ramble helps, PM me if you wish. John C.

When I was young, I was Liberal. As I aged and wised up, I became Conservative. Now that I'm old, I have settled on Curmudgeon.
Moderator-Nortel, Computers, General
Moderator-Nortel, Computers, General
What release are the sets? Older sets will not accept the "Set Volumn" feature.

Dave

Scientists say that the universe is made up of Protons, Neutron & Electrons. They forgot "Morons".
Dave. (CTUB) Canadian Techs Use Bix!
Former Moderator-Nortel
Former Moderator-Nortel
TWO things:
A) Make sure it is not just the handset. Went to a new customer site, one guy complained that he could hardly hear the caller. Everyone was joking that he was just losing his hearing. I put a new handset on and he said, "I can hear again.".
B) I have heard rumors but don't have any proof for this. Go into LINES. If you have the later software, look for LossPkg: Change it to LongCO. I have heard that it increases the volume a little bit. At times I think it works and other times not sure it did anything.

If CON is the opposite of PRO
Then what is the opposite of Progress?

Moderated by  MooreTel 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums84
Topics94,284
Posts638,772
Members49,765
Most Online5,661
May 23rd, 2018
Popular Topics(Views)
211,461 Shoretel
188,328 CTX100 install
187,093 1a2 system
Newest Members
Nadisale, andreww, gohunt, Darrick, telecopippo
49,764 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
Toner 23
teleco 5
jc2it 4
dans 3
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 142 guests, and 285 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Contact Us | Sponsored by Atcom: One of the best VoIP Phone Canada Suppliers for your business telephone system!| Terms of Service

Sundance Communications is not affiliated with any of the above manufacturers. Sundance Phone System Forums - VOIP & Cloud Phone Help
©Copyright Sundance Communications 1998-2024