web statisticsweb stats Business Phone Systems Tech Talk Forum - VOIP & Cloud Phone Help

Business Phone Systems

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#133662 05/25/07 08:04 AM
sortonb Offline OP
OP Offline
I am a new office manager at a company that really has no idea how their phone system works. Even the tech guy I called out spent hours basically just fumbling around the last time I called him out, so this time I want to figure it out myself. I think that we had a power surge last night, and today, I am not able to check voicemail and get an "Inactive Feature" message when I try feature 981, 983, 903, etc. I have read other posts on this, but can't figure it out.

When requested to power down the flash, does that mean the phone? I tried that, waited 10 minutes, and nothing changed. Then I just learned that there is a box on the wall, and tried unplugging the black cord leading into the box, plugging it back in, waiting 10 minutes, and still, nothing changed. Can anyone help?

Also, once it is all reset, I am going to have to re-record all messages??

Thanks in advance for any help you can give!

Nortel Phone System Service
VoIP Demo

Nortel Phone System Service in Canada

Do you need a Nortel Phone System technician or specific Nortel parts?
Atcom to the rescue! Our telephone techs have qualified experience servicing and troubleshooting Nortel CICS, MICS, & BCM telephone systems.
Service in Canada from sea to sea.

You have to figure out which unit is your voicemail. It could be a small flat box (CallPilot or Startalk Flash) or a large box the same size as your phone system control unit (Norstar Applications Module or NAM). You will need to reboot this unit and wait for up to 10 minutes. The unit should come back online, but if it doesn't or if you have trouble identifying your voicemail unit, then call a reputable dealer.

Hi sortonb and welcome to the board welcome

First off, do you have documentation for your phone system and your voicemail?

If so, the answers to your questions are in the manuals.

If you need help with the terminology used in the technical manuals, you may consider taking a system administrator course for your particular manual. You should be able to find a competent qualified vendor in your area to train you properly.

If the last guy didn't make the cut, go to the top of this page and click the installer tab to find someone local to provide you with good service. There are many good companies out there.

To try to answer your question. Sounds like the unit may be damaged. In order to troubleshoot it further would require a qualified professional to be on-site.

Richard
AVAYA-NORTEL-SAMSUNG-PANASONIC-MITEL
www.acceleratedtelecom.com
sortonb Offline OP
OP Offline
In the back there is one big Norstar box, and then a smaller, flattish, gray box. It says "StarTalk Flash". Inside it there is a cartridge, a black cord plugged into the first slot, a white cord with individual wires running into the 2nd and 3rd slot, and a red light. How do I reboot, just unplug the unit and wait 10 minutes?

There is no good documentation on-hand, just some info about how to use voice mail and I have downloaded some things since I've been here. We are a very understaffed struggling company and there's no way anyone is sending me to a training course!

Yes unplug the power cord (black) from the Star Talk Flash
1 minute would be more than enough, make sure the connectors coming out of the white cord have a tight connection in the port.

If you can't access your voice mail after ten minutes check the cables coming out of the bigger box. You most likely have three cables, one is the power, no need to check that one. Its the other two, make sure they are pushed tight into where they are plugged into.

If still no voice mail, you will need to call in a tech.

We get old too soon, smart too late

Moderated by  MooreTel 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums84
Topics94,262
Posts638,697
Members49,757
Most Online5,661
May 23rd, 2018
Popular Topics(Views)
211,112 Shoretel
187,717 CTX100 install
186,810 1a2 system
Newest Members
BPopilek, Rich F, LewisR, TDKs79, Buttinset
49,757 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
dexman 18
Toner 11
TDKs79 7
pvj 4
jc2it 4
Who's Online Now
2 members (justbill, Curlycord), 55 guests, and 422 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Contact Us | Sponsored by Atcom: One of the best VoIP Phone Canada Suppliers for your business telephone system!| Terms of Service

Sundance Communications is not affiliated with any of the above manufacturers. Sundance Phone System Forums - VOIP & Cloud Phone Help
©Copyright Sundance Communications 1998-2024