web statisticsweb stats Business Phone Systems Tech Talk Forum - VOIP & Cloud Phone Help

Business Phone Systems

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
OP Offline
My mechanic shop has an old Meridian. He was about to trade it in for a newer system when his business partner decided to abscond.

Every time power blinks, he loses system programming. It wouldn't be so bad, but it defaults to pulse dialing. I visit, reprogram, and tell him it is almost time for that new system, then he cries the no-money blues.

If I recall correct, the DR5 s/ware cartridge contains a capacitor that holds voltage to prevent this. Do I just swap the cart and reprogram one last time? If this is so, do any of ya'll have a cheap cart with a good capacitor?

I don't mind getting credits for auto repairs, but would like to fix it permanently.

it's all tip and ring
Nortel Phone System Service
VoIP Demo

Nortel Phone System Service in Canada

Do you need a Nortel Phone System technician or specific Nortel parts?
Atcom to the rescue! Our telephone techs have qualified experience servicing and troubleshooting Nortel CICS, MICS, & BCM telephone systems.
Service in Canada from sea to sea.

You can purchase a refurb DR5 cartridge for pennies on the dollar. Check with your local supplier or on-line.

D. Ocean
Miami, FL
Moderator-Allworx, Nisuko-Tie, Vodavi
Moderator-Allworx, Nisuko-Tie, Vodavi
Maybe the sponsor of this website would have some cartridges. Click on the "Equipment" link on the top of this page. The problem with selling just the cartridge is---then all you have left is a cabinet with no cartridge.

In the past, I have cracked them open, desoldered the capacitor and resoldered a new one to replace it--and went on my merry way. But I haven't worked on one of those in about 5 years. It helps if you do 4/5 or 10 of them, so you get better and faster. Doing one is just a PITA.

Or you could buy a new car and let someone else worry about your mechanic's phone system.

With the prices MY mechanics charge, they could certainly afford a new phone system, and a gold-plated one at that! smile

D. Ocean
Miami, FL
Moderator-Nortel, Computers, General
It's always better to change the Cap. Changing the cartridge is risky at best....who knows how good the Cap in that one is.

Do your mechanic a favour & talk him into upgrading to a CICS...AND install a UPS.

Scientists say that the universe is made up of Protons, Neutron & Electrons. They forgot "Morons".
Dave. (CTUB) Canadian Techs Use Bix!
OP Offline
the UPS in in place, and if he buys a system, it winds up being I buy it, and gain credits for future repairs.

I guess I will crack the module and solder the cap in place. Anyone know the cap value?

it's all tip and ring
Even with a new system, a UPS is still highly recommended and well worth the bucks.

1.0F / 5.5v

Scientists say that the universe is made up of Protons, Neutron & Electrons. They forgot "Morons".
OP Offline
Thanks Dave!

it's all tip and ring
RIP Moderator-Mitel, Panasonic
RIP Moderator-Mitel, Panasonic
Two things: 1 That cap is hard to find 'around town'. If you're running into that PM me and I'll tell you where we get 'em. 2 Check me on this, but the 616 has one on the mother board too. We replace both whenever we have a problem. Not sure if it's important, but it's easy once you are in there. John C. (Not Garand)

When I was young, I was Liberal. As I aged and wised up, I became Conservative. Now that I'm old, I have settled on Curmudgeon.
You're right John, there is also one on the board.

Moderated by  MooreTel 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums84
Topics94,262
Posts638,693
Members49,757
Most Online5,661
May 23rd, 2018
Popular Topics(Views)
211,098 Shoretel
187,703 CTX100 install
186,793 1a2 system
Newest Members
BPopilek, Rich F, LewisR, TDKs79, Buttinset
49,757 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
dexman 18
Toner 14
TDKs79 8
Who's Online Now
2 members (Curlycord, dexman), 54 guests, and 245 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Contact Us | Sponsored by Atcom: One of the best VoIP Phone Canada Suppliers for your business telephone system!| Terms of Service

Sundance Communications is not affiliated with any of the above manufacturers. Sundance Phone System Forums - VOIP & Cloud Phone Help
©Copyright Sundance Communications 1998-2024