web statisticsweb stats

Business Phone Systems

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
OP Offline
I have a customer with a Nortel Northstar system isntalled. I found a number on the top front left of the unit that was MOX16. THey have some CD's thats I think have the installers manueal. WHen I try to open the file, it says its password protected. It also says that its the same password of the default installers password.... Dont know what that is.. Need help..

We were called to this site because when they press the button for night mode, the phones will only ring one time and then the voice mail pics up and says "The person you are trying to reach is not available" then it hangs up... It worked before so that, when in night mode, all phones in the building would ring and then after 4 rings, it would go to the auto attendent. Dont know what happen but the lady said it worked fine one day and then next moring it stopped. Can anyone help me with this situation... I have never worked on this type of phone system before. We installed a Landmark system back in 95 and thats what we thought we were going to go service. However, we got there, and its been changed out. The original installer is no where to be found so they called us back....

Any information would be helpfull...

Matthew

Armor Security Systems

Nortel Phone System Service
VoIP Demo

Nortel Phone System Service in Canada

Do you need a Nortel Phone System technician or specific Nortel parts?
Atcom to the rescue! Our telephone techs have qualified experience servicing and troubleshooting Nortel CICS, MICS, & BCM telephone systems.
Service in Canada from sea to sea.

How does the ringing work during business hours?
When you turn on ringing services for night mode you are just making the incoming calls ring to what ever ext's are in the ring group you have set up in night mode. So if the lines are suppose to a ring 4 times at night i don’t think you need to use night service. You may want to look at the evening and nonbusiness timers in the voice mail system to make sure the correct greeting are set to play in those time slots.

If they are using night ringing too go directly to the AA you need to look at what ext's are setup in the ring group for night ringing. The voice mail DN's should be in the group and on other DN's

You don’t drown by falling in the water. You drown by staying there.
Moderator-Nortel, Computers, General
This is a voicemail question and has nothing to do with the "0x16" which is only an expansion module for extentions.

If this "Worked one day and not the next", then it sounds like either someone's been playing around with the voicemail OR it's been like that for a while & they just noticed.

You either have to get a trained Nortel installer on site or have their "System Co-Ordinator" check their voicemail settings.

This is NOT a job for an untrained installer. This is also why it is password protected & no, we will not divulge the passwords (they may not be default anyway).

Scientists say that the universe is made up of Protons, Neutron & Electrons. They forgot "Morons".
Dave. (CTUB) Canadian Techs Use Bix!
OP Offline
well, The phone in day mode are supposed to ring only the office phones. After 4 rings it should go to auto attendant. In night mode, All phone in the building should ring and after 4 rings, go to auto attendant. I notice that the UPS the system was plugged into no longer works. they have the KSU plugged into the wall outlet directly.... everything works fine in day mode.. Just not in night... Where Can I get a installer manual for this (or programming manual). The customer does not want to pay to have someone come out and program it from Nortel. They want us to fix it, and if I had the book, I could do it....I have programmed other phone systems before.... As I stated before, we dont really even know how this system got installed in this building. We had the system before, we also have the burglar and fire alarm system. so they want to keep the business with one company.... I want to say that SWB/SBC might have installed it... but Im not sure... It went in back in 2001...

Matthew

RIP Moderator-Mitel, Panasonic
RIP Moderator-Mitel, Panasonic
Matthew, as a neophyte Nortel guy with Mitel certification, Panasonic knowledge, Partner, Definity, Toshiba, NEC, Iwatsu Adix and Ztd knowledge, and yes even Landmark knowledge, I'm telling you that Dave is absolutely right. If someone hadn't 'walked me around' in the Nortel systems, I could have done SERIOUS damage and not had a clue! Based on the 'M0X16' you are dealing with a MICS. But there are at least 2 more cabinets, 1 being the main KSU and 1 being the VM. And I'd take a wild guess that the memory support cap(s) are gone and reprogramming will only be good until the next AC power glitch. Get some knowledgeable help. Part of being a GOOD phone man is knowing when to back away quietly! smile John C. (Not Garand)

When I was young, I was Liberal. As I aged and wised up, I became Conservative. Now that I'm old, I have settled on Curmudgeon.
Sorry, I posted the same time as Lightninghorse.

That could also be a Modular 8x24 Expanded system. If the UPS has blown, that would be the first step. Next would be to have the whole system attached to the UPS. 3rd step is to check that the system AND VM haven't defaulted. If they have, the caps will have to be changed and everything reprogrammed again.

Without all the manuals and passwords, you're dead before you even start.

If you want it to ring on Night Service, it MUST ring during the day.

I have no idea of your abilities with phone systems, but if you're not VERY familiar with the Nortel Voicemail, you could screw it up very easily.

I strongly recommend that you get someone in there that knows Nortel VM. If your client insists that they only want to deal with one vendor, that being you, then sub it out where you're the contact company, but have a knowledgable person/company actually do the work. Whatever YOU do, could very well end up costing the client a whole lot more $$$$ if you don't do it right.

Sometimes you just have to say "NO" to the client. They can't always get what they want.

P.S.: Please keep in mind that this forum is for the "End User" & their type of questions; not to train someone to be an installer on the different systems out there. No offense meant.

Scientists say that the universe is made up of Protons, Neutron & Electrons. They forgot "Morons".
Dave. (CTUB) Canadian Techs Use Bix!

Moderated by  MooreTel 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums84
Topics94,284
Posts638,769
Members49,765
Most Online5,661
May 23rd, 2018
Popular Topics(Views)
211,455 Shoretel
188,311 CTX100 install
187,085 1a2 system
Newest Members
Nadisale, andreww, gohunt, Darrick, telecopippo
49,764 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
Toner 23
teleco 7
dexman 4
jc2it 4
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 144 guests, and 298 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Contact Us | Sponsored by Atcom: One of the best VoIP Phone Canada Suppliers for your business telephone system!| Terms of Service

Sundance Communications is not affiliated with any of the above manufacturers. Sundance Phone System Forums - VOIP & Cloud Phone Help
©Copyright Sundance Communications 1998-2024