web statisticsweb stats Business Phone Systems Tech Talk Forum - VOIP & Cloud Phone Help

Business Phone Systems

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
OP Offline
As you may be aware from my recent rash of questions, I recently started playing around with BCM50's.

At time of install (by some hack), client insists he paid for keycodes to 32 sets. Element Manager indicates only 20 sets/ports active. There are exactly 20 sets installed at the location.

Question is: Is there a way to "activate" dormant ports/extensions? Do they lay dormant until activated, or is their inactivity an indication that they were not purchased?

D. Ocean
Miami, FL
Nortel Phone System Service
VoIP Demo

Nortel Phone System Service in Canada

Do you need a Nortel Phone System technician or specific Nortel parts?
Atcom to the rescue! Our telephone techs have qualified experience servicing and troubleshooting Nortel CICS, MICS, & BCM telephone systems.
Service in Canada from sea to sea.

Station ports are activated by license.

Marv CCNA, CTUB
TeleMarv Services (Retired)
Providing telecommunication solutions in Ottawa Canada since 1990
OP Offline
Right. So, if licensed, they would appear "active" in the list of ports when viewing through Element Manager? Right now, all ports in excess of the original 20 are grey'ed out.

I'm wondering if I have to do something else to "activate" the ports within Element Manager (assuming they are bought/paid for).

D. Ocean
Miami, FL
Former Moderator-Nortel
Former Moderator-Nortel
The MOST digital station key codes you can activate with digital key codes are 12. Those 12 reside on the main unit.
If you want more than 12, then you add an expansion unit.
You must have 1 keycode for the expansion unit.
That keycode will enable whatever module you have in the expansion unit.
If you put a 16 DSM in there you will have 16 digital ports.
If you put a 32+ DSM in there you will have 32 digital ports.

If you have a second expansion unit, you need another expansion key code and it will enable what ever module you put in there.

And the expansion ports may not show enabled until you connect a digital phone to each set of 16 ports.

If CON is the opposite of PRO
Then what is the opposite of Progress?
Former Moderator-Nortel
Former Moderator-Nortel
Just taking a guess at your "only 20 ports" showing.

Do you have a 16-port DSM in the expansion?
That would give you 16 ports.

Then you may have only activated 4 digital ports on the main unit.

That would give you the 20 ports.

Most sales will come with enabling expansions before enabling main unit ports. Cheaper.

If CON is the opposite of PRO
Then what is the opposite of Progress?
OP Offline
There are two expansion cabinets. One expansion houses the PRI card. The second expansion appears to have a 16-port DSM card.

Not sure which is which, as the amphenols are not labeled, and I'm not familiar enough with the port numbering to know which ports are on the main cabinet and which are on the expansion. I guess I'll have to do some more reading/exploring in the browser.

If I punch down a set to the next available port, the system will see it, but the phone doesn't show time/date (no power to the digital set).

I think you may be correct with the 4 digital ports on the main/16 on the expansion. I'll have to physically trace the amphenols to determine what's/what.

Thank you.

D. Ocean
Miami, FL
DN's on expansion would have different bus # than the one on the main base unit if you look at them thru Element Manager. If you have the license but have no actual set plugged in, the stat will show enabling instead of enabled .

Danny,
It sounds like you are mixing up how Norte (now Avaya) licenses the BCM50. All VM license are based on Key codes. The Stations and Analog ports are mixed licensed. example: The base unit is key code driven but any MBM in the expansion slot are whole licensed by the expansion key code.

DataElectric-Avaya/FL Gov, SMB & Enterprised Partner
www.edataelect.com
Danny,
Also please keep in mind that the BCM50 works on a resource bases and the system was designed to support 30 phones.

Very easy to find the amount he paid for by the element manager under licensing or logging on to the KRS website (avaya partners only) for the current licensing in the system

DataElectric-Avaya/FL Gov, SMB & Enterprised Partner
www.edataelect.com

Moderated by  MooreTel 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums84
Topics94,262
Posts638,693
Members49,757
Most Online5,661
May 23rd, 2018
Popular Topics(Views)
211,098 Shoretel
187,703 CTX100 install
186,794 1a2 system
Newest Members
BPopilek, Rich F, LewisR, TDKs79, Buttinset
49,757 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
dexman 18
Toner 14
TDKs79 8
jc2it 4
Who's Online Now
1 members (Curlycord), 81 guests, and 241 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Contact Us | Sponsored by Atcom: One of the best VoIP Phone Canada Suppliers for your business telephone system!| Terms of Service

Sundance Communications is not affiliated with any of the above manufacturers. Sundance Phone System Forums - VOIP & Cloud Phone Help
©Copyright Sundance Communications 1998-2024