web statisticsweb stats Business Phone Systems Tech Talk Forum - VOIP & Cloud Phone Help

Business Phone Systems

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
BertZaz Offline OP
OP Offline
Hi Everyone,

Since I have received some very helpful info from you in the past, I thought I would report here on my success in cloning my TVP200 Voice Mail Hard Disk Drive.

I found this KX-TVP200 for a good price. Year of manufacturing is 1997. This machine comes from a small business that shut down a few years ago. I was praying that the HDD would still work after sitting idle in an unknown environment for that long. It did. But as soon as I could, I started to work on cloning this HDD onto another one, knowing that if the original HDD failed, I would be in big trouble.

The original HDD is a 1.3GB drive. I had no idea of what was on this drive as far as OS, patrition and format, so my only hope for success was to try to clone it in a bit-by-bit/Sector-by-Sector fashion onto a somewhat bigger drive. I chose an old 3.2G drive I already had. I first tried the built-in TVP200 copy method described somewhere else on this forum, but it did not work, probably because the target drive was bigger and/or not recognized.

So I turned to an old PIII PC. I tried various cloning freeware (I prefered a diskette bootup version) and eventually found one free version that worked. I is called HDClone 4, by Miray Software. https://www.miray.de/products/sat.hdclone.html

I initially put the source and target drives on the same IDE bus, configuring one as Master and the other as Slave, but the BIOS had issues with the Source Drive. I put both HDDs as Masters, one on the Primary bus and the other on the Secondary bus. That worked on my PC. I then did a sector-by-sector cloning, with no special settings required. Bingo, it worked! The Panasonic booted up like with the original drive. But I did not stop there...

I don't like the idea of a 24/7/365 continuously spinning drive, as it is the case on the TVP200. So I ordered in an IDE to SD card HDD adapter, the cheapest one I could find on eBay (<$10). I cloned the original drive onto a 2GB SD/MMC card, put that into the TVP200. It worked too! Now I have a totally silent TVP200.

For those who fear that the Flash technology inside the SD card has a limited write cycle life, let me say this: When the TVP200 sits idle, I don't hear much activity on the HDD. I thing it sits pretty much idle too. This TVP200 is installed in my home... with a typicall 100,000 write cycle expected life, I think it will work for many years to come.

There you go!

Bert.

Atcom VoIP Phones
VoIP Demo

Best VoIP Phones Canada

Visit Atcom to get started with your new business VoIP phone system ASAP
Turn up is quick, painless, and can often be done same day.
Let us show you how to do VoIP right, resulting in crystal clear call quality and easy-to-use features that make everyone happy!
Proudly serving Canada from coast to coast.

whats the audio like using flash drive?

BertZaz Offline OP
OP Offline
Exactly the same. Read access time on a flash drive is actually faster than on a HDD. So there should be no difference.

No one is going to waste time on that product now.

BertZaz Offline OP
OP Offline
No one? really? I see those units still selling on eBay...

That trick will likely work on newer models too. That's why I thought I would share...

ebayers are not my clients !if for some reason I need a flash drive for tvs I can order one with a warrantee!No headaches

Thanks for the tip. We have a TVS75 with a noisy drive. The SD card / IDE adapter trick is something I will try out.

This solution also works well with a KX-TVS125, using HDClone. With this unit, the trick seems to be using a drive that is "very close" to the origional size of 41.1GB. Anything with a formatted capacity of less than 40GB or larger than 50GB does not seem to work.

Anyway, thanks for the Info. Now I have a spare for when the dinosaur dies!

I finally had a chance to try this on our TVS75 and did not succeed.

I bought an eBay IDE to SD card interface just for the hack. I used EASEUS Disk Copy 2.3 and did a sector by sector copy of the Panasonic drive to a 4GB SD card. The clone reported no errors, but the VM box will not boot from the flash drive.

I tried other SD cards. All I had were 1GB (too small) and 4GB (perhaps too big). So my failure may be due to the SD card size and it would have been nice to try a 2GB.

I may try again, but that will have to wait for a another rainy day.

Moderated by  Carl Navarro, OBT 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums84
Topics94,262
Posts638,697
Members49,757
Most Online5,661
May 23rd, 2018
Popular Topics(Views)
211,113 Shoretel
187,717 CTX100 install
186,810 1a2 system
Newest Members
BPopilek, Rich F, LewisR, TDKs79, Buttinset
49,757 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
dexman 18
Toner 11
TDKs79 7
teleco 4
Who's Online Now
3 members (Curlycord, BPopilek, JBean3329), 67 guests, and 426 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Contact Us | Sponsored by Atcom: One of the best VoIP Phone Canada Suppliers for your business telephone system!| Terms of Service

Sundance Communications is not affiliated with any of the above manufacturers. Sundance Phone System Forums - VOIP & Cloud Phone Help
©Copyright Sundance Communications 1998-2024