web statisticsweb stats Business Phone Systems Tech Talk Forum - VOIP & Cloud Phone Help

Business Phone Systems

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Moderator-Vertical, Vodavi, 1A2, Outside Wire
OP Offline
Moderator-Vertical, Vodavi, 1A2, Outside Wire
That's just it: These people aren't in the United States at all. They are using VOIP and spoofing fake numbers with US area codes to make the calls look legitimate. I would imagine that suing a company in India would be nearly impossible.

I'm still amazed that my credit card company sold my information over a payment that was two weeks late. What appears to have happened is that being one of the banks in peril (no name necessary), they just hire these people to make their collection calls for a bounty. It used to be that if your payment was late, you just paid a late fee on the next bill. Not any more. They are hiring these Baghdad Bounty Hunters on day one.

Oh and Hal, I have a very good number (actually both of them are, -4848 and -0707) and I'd hate to give them up due to my having landed on a junk salesman's list. There must be a way for the general public to be protected from having to take such drastic measures.

I think it sucks that we are even having this discussion at all. It disgusts me the way companies abuse the relationships with their customers or the amazing technology of telecommunications to sell people crap that they do not want to buy.

Ed Vaughn, MBSWWYPBX
Atcom VoIP Phones
VoIP Demo

Best VoIP Phones Canada

Visit Atcom to get started with your new business VoIP phone system ASAP
Turn up is quick, painless, and can often be done same day.
Let us show you how to do VoIP right, resulting in crystal clear call quality and easy-to-use features that make everyone happy!
Proudly serving Canada from coast to coast.

I would imagine that suing a company in India would be nearly impossible.

Ed, they are working for somebody here like Chase, Amex, Capital One, etc. They are the ones you would sue.

-Hal

CALIFORNIA PROPOSITION 65 WARNING: Some comments made by me are known to the State of California to cause irreversible brain damage and serious mental disorders leading to confinement.
this is from the FTC web page (https://www.ftc.gov/bcp/edu/pubs/consumer/credit/cre18.shtm) and may help:

Where do I report a debt collector for an alleged violation?
Report any problems you have with a debt collector to your state Attorney General’s office (www.naag.org) and the Federal Trade Commission (www.ftc.gov). Many states have their own debt collection laws that are different from the federal Fair Debt Collection Practices Act. Your Attorney General’s office can help you determine your rights under your state’s law.

It also says that you can send a registed letter (with receipt of delivery) to the collection agency asking them not contact you further.

I'm still amazed that my credit card company sold my information

Ed, the financial industry is SCUM, ALL of it! They took advantage of everybody for their own gain and paid off and blackmailed the government to get their way. Now they are crying the blues because the s*** hit the fan. They deserve whatever crap we can give them.

Change your numbers, get some other nice ones. I did and I didn't have any of the problems you have.

-Hal

CALIFORNIA PROPOSITION 65 WARNING: Some comments made by me are known to the State of California to cause irreversible brain damage and serious mental disorders leading to confinement.
Ed: All I can tell you is get their manager on the line, figure out who they are subcontracting for, then tell them you will be filing a harassment complaint with the FTC against their client.

Stopping a collections call is tough stuff. The laws on what they can do all vary by state. Some places it's no more then 2 calls a day, other places it's one call every 3 hours, etc. If it's wrongful collections (in your case) then you definitely need to play hard ball with them. Call and open an FTC complain for EVERY call they place to you. Record these calls as evidence. Document them in your CDR's/etc. Then go find a hungry lawyer and tell him he can keep 80% of whatever he gets you to sue the client. I'm a big fan of the idea that stupidity should be painful.

As far as the regular telemarketer/cold-calls, they are supposed to scrub their list every 30 days. So if it's been more then a month, start telling them you are on the FTC DNC list, and that you would like to know the Company Name, thier name, and the company contact information to file an FTC Complaint. Again, record it and make records. File an FTC complaint for every call.

For cold-calls, most states don't allow you to call before 9am or after 9pm, and some allow you to call half the day on Saturday. There are also all kinds of different laws and regulations regarding state observed and federal holidays too.

KLD Offline
I got tired of the dinner time salesmen years ago before the Do Not Call....so I call forwarded my number to my defunct competitor's number with the lady that tells you this is not a working number. After about 30 days they quit calling....and if the CID is unknown to me, you go to Helen....you know, you go to Helen Waite..... laugh

Ken
---------
I used to recieve the travel fax to Cancun for $199 for 6 days including air fare. You know what I am talking about. I have asked them to stop sending but they kept coming 2 to 3 a week. One day I was feeling a little ornery and devised a little plan. I have 4 lines into the business. I put their 800 number on a speed dial button and placed a call. When they answered I said please hold, and placed a call on line 2. I did this for about a half hour. The same guys kept answereing the phone and kept sreaming at me to get a life. I fianally talked to one of them and told them to remove my number from their fax list. I told him if I get another fax I will take the gloves off next time. I don't know if it worked but I had a smile on my face the rest of the day. And I know it cost them some money on the 800 number.

Mike

RIP Moderator-Mitel, Panasonic
RIP Moderator-Mitel, Panasonic
If only you could get their fax number and send them a fax on a loop of paper that says remove my phone number, xxx yyy zzzz, from your list or meet me in court, your choice. smile John C.

When I was young, I was Liberal. As I aged and wised up, I became Conservative. Now that I'm old, I have settled on Curmudgeon.
Moderator-Avaya
Moderator-Avaya
I have done this before....
Fax them back and loop a black peice of paper...waste all their ink...

Sure, they may be using fax servers, but it will tie their lines up for a bit

They did not list a fax number.
I have sent faxes back as well. When I have sent faxes back I had the person calling me whining that my fax was tying up their fax line. I replied no I am just returning what you sent me. No more faxes from that comapny!!

I love the 800 numbers.

Mike

Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  MooreTel 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums84
Topics94,262
Posts638,695
Members49,757
Most Online5,661
May 23rd, 2018
Popular Topics(Views)
211,098 Shoretel
187,707 CTX100 install
186,794 1a2 system
Newest Members
BPopilek, Rich F, LewisR, TDKs79, Buttinset
49,757 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
dexman 18
Toner 14
TDKs79 8
Who's Online Now
3 members (Toner, Curlycord, Professor Shadow), 97 guests, and 243 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Contact Us | Sponsored by Atcom: One of the best VoIP Phone Canada Suppliers for your business telephone system!| Terms of Service

Sundance Communications is not affiliated with any of the above manufacturers. Sundance Phone System Forums - VOIP & Cloud Phone Help
©Copyright Sundance Communications 1998-2024