web statisticsweb stats

Business Phone Systems

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#264027 05/09/08 08:25 AM
OP Offline
I haven't seen this questiona anywhere else so I'm going to ask and sorry if it is a repost.

When running Cat 6 cable does it have to be one continuos run from the wall jack to the network termination panel?

I have a client that is going to have two trailers wired and would like to terminate both trailers wiring at a bix block and then cross patch the bix blocks. Will that casue any issue with the lines?

Atcom VoIP Phones
VoIP Demo

Best VoIP Phones Canada

Visit Atcom to get started with your new business VoIP phone system ASAP
Turn up is quick, painless, and can often be done same day.
Let us show you how to do VoIP right, resulting in crystal clear call quality and easy-to-use features that make everyone happy!
Proudly serving Canada from coast to coast.

#264028 05/09/08 10:24 AM
Technically it should be a continuous run. However, i have made numerous connections somewhat like this (never used bix, but other forms of terminating blocks) and have not seen an issue in performance. Done it with 5e and gigabit throughput, not 6 though. Make sure you're still in limits in regard to total length. And probably wouldn't want to make a habit out of it.

My suggestion is to place switch at the junction point where the two trailers are meeting, if im understanding you right.

#264029 05/09/08 04:25 PM
Yes it should be a continuous run but if you have a few different connections in there and they pass with a certified cat6 cable tester ,then I see no problem.

Denis

/www.myspace.com/redryder2448

http://www.tsacommunicationsinc.com/
#264030 05/10/08 12:16 AM
Moderator-1A2, Cabling
Moderator-1A2, Cabling
As everyone has said so far - it should be continuous to meet EIA/TIA standards. Putting a splice in the middle will probably cause a certified Cat 6 tester to fail the run.

Regardless of passing a certified test the circuit should still work, albeit at a slower speed.

What are they using the cabling for?

If it's just to get on line at 3MBS DSL and to transfer some small files back and forth it'll work fine. Maybe they'll only be running at 10 MBS instead of 700. Who cares.

If however they're sending huge CAD files back and forth they're going to be annoyed.

I assume they're doing this to save money on individual cable runs. If not, then why not run individual cables?

They should be made aware that they will probably not get top speed on this wiring,

Also - are you running this cable in conduit out to the trailers or stringing indoor cable outdoors? That may not matter much on Day 1 or 2, but give it a little time and you'll see some problems.

Sam

"Where are we going and why are we in this hand basket?"
#264031 05/10/08 02:06 AM
RIP Moderator-Nisuko-Tie, General
RIP Moderator-Nisuko-Tie, General
rule of thumb is anytime Ethernet leaves a bldg it should go to fiber

are you factoring in primary and secondary lighting protection on your cooper run ?

using outdoor cable?

If I had to do what you suggest I would terminate to a patch panel in the center trailer and use patch cords to join the links rather than a bix cross connected

Skip
------------------------------------

Serving SW and West central Fl since 1984
#264032 05/10/08 11:44 AM
The trailers are probably temporary.

The customer put in trailers for a reason. It's called going on the cheap.

This customer would not justify fiber converters or even the right protection or grounding.

I bet the trailers have a poor ground anyhow.

Sorry, Ive done too many temp trailers that end up permanent only to shake my head and bite my tongue and walk away.

#264033 05/23/08 06:04 PM
OP Offline
Well the whole big project involves 13 trailers side by sidesetup like a big complex of offices. But they need to be able to move the trailers every couple of years. it is an oilfield company. so they don't want a permanent structure.

outside the trailer will be fiber, the cat6 will just be run within the trailers themselves.

thanks for the input everyone

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums84
Topics94,285
Posts638,781
Members49,766
Most Online5,661
May 23rd, 2018
Popular Topics(Views)
211,755 Shoretel
188,941 CTX100 install
187,190 1a2 system
Newest Members
James D., Nadisale, andreww, gohunt, Darrick
49,765 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
Toner 22
teleco 5
dexman 4
dans 3
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 136 guests, and 103 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Contact Us | Sponsored by Atcom: One of the best VoIP Phone Canada Suppliers for your business telephone system!| Terms of Service

Sundance Communications is not affiliated with any of the above manufacturers. Sundance Phone System Forums - VOIP & Cloud Phone Help
©Copyright Sundance Communications 1998-2024