web statisticsweb stats

Business Phone Systems

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
I got laid off too, but that's a different story.

Atcom VoIP Phones
VoIP Demo

Best VoIP Phones Canada

Visit Atcom to get started with your new business VoIP phone system ASAP
Turn up is quick, painless, and can often be done same day.
Let us show you how to do VoIP right, resulting in crystal clear call quality and easy-to-use features that make everyone happy!
Proudly serving Canada from coast to coast.

I have met people over the years who would tell me, "I used to work for the phone company, but I quit."

After a little conversation, it became evident that the reason they "quit" had to do less with their dissatisfaction for the job, than with the company's lack of satisfaction with them, shall we say.

I was laid off once, and rehired.

Arthur P. Bloom
"30 years of faithful service...15 years on hold"

I started out with an Executone franchise in 1979. I was an electricians kid and they hired me as a wire monkey. In 5 years I was a service tech installing Siemens PBX”s . Executone sent me to 8 or so classes at there expense and I was fortunate to receive on the job training from some of the best. I have to say, I don’t think the road I”ve taken is open today. If I had to start all over in today’s environment I would start with computer classes at my local collage. An internship with a local mom and pop interconnect is a great idea, you will learn a lot about your local market and customer service ( don’t take this the wrong way but a poster on the wall stating “ the customer is number 1" is not “customer service” that is to say that customer service out in the real world is very different than what your current employer probably provides). Also you may not find someone willing to train a future competitor. Look around and see what most of your local businesses are using, purchase one of those systems for your house/office, learn it inside and out, sell a few and see how it goes. Good Luck!

Definition of an I.T. expert: A Person with the telephone number of the Person with the answer.
I think that there's good advice here.

First, get an IT base of knowledge. Learn principles of TCP/IP and especially TCP and UDP protocols. 90% of what you need will be covered by an A+ certification (CompTIA A+).

Second, get a job at an interconnect. 90% of what you do, at first, will be cabling, bu that will involve more and more MAC work as you progress. Get the shop expert to show you all his tricks, how to use the toner, the buttset, the color code, etc.

After a year, ask your employer for a certification class for the product that your employer sells (NEC, Mitel, Avaya, Whatever).

And Bob's your uncle.

I ran cables for many years. Really started to dislike it after a while. I actually got laid off. I went to be a cable installer at a small telephone vendor. After about a year, after I mentioned I had another cabing job offer, they started to train me on telephone systems, and gave me access to online training.

From there I quit to go become a full time telephone tech at another company. Took moving to 2 other companies, but at least I am not coming home every day with insolation and ceiling tile dust in my hair everday.

[ [Linked Image from i54.tinypic.com]

Try a few things.
Find something you really enjoy.
Do it for a living.
I tried Cisco and its been my second wife every since.
Good Luck!

CCNA
CCNA Voice
MCSE W2K3
Security +
CS1000 5.5
Toshiba
Comdial
Avaya
Mitel
Norstar
"Took moving to 2 other companies, but at least I am not coming home every day with insolation and ceiling tile dust in my hair every day"

Try being a automotive tech. Oil Greese, you name it in your hair, hands, shirt and you stinky like high heaven because of the hot garage smile

Talking about certifications,

I do not have any per say in this field other then a FCC GROL. I have taken cisco academy long ago and never took the test for CCNA. I have been in the IT support and Telecom support fields for 10 years now with some in between work.

I love telecom work the best. Having the responsibility to being down a department store, change out the equipment and bring it back up in time before the doors open makes me feel really good. I am doing the same now, as we speak for service stations. Its a fast paced responsibility.

But what I really need is certification. What should I care to try for? BISCI, CCNA, A+ some product certifications such as AVAYA,NORTEL,PANASONIC?

I do not have any Fiber optic training. Should this be my first area to get certified in before anything else?

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  MooreTel 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums84
Topics94,284
Posts638,769
Members49,765
Most Online5,661
May 23rd, 2018
Popular Topics(Views)
211,455 Shoretel
188,311 CTX100 install
187,085 1a2 system
Newest Members
Nadisale, andreww, gohunt, Darrick, telecopippo
49,764 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
Toner 23
teleco 7
dexman 4
jc2it 4
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 144 guests, and 298 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Contact Us | Sponsored by Atcom: One of the best VoIP Phone Canada Suppliers for your business telephone system!| Terms of Service

Sundance Communications is not affiliated with any of the above manufacturers. Sundance Phone System Forums - VOIP & Cloud Phone Help
©Copyright Sundance Communications 1998-2024