web statisticsweb stats Business Phone Systems Tech Talk Forum - VOIP & Cloud Phone Help

Business Phone Systems

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
#442727 06/18/05 02:28 AM
RCR Offline
Just curious, why do you pull a differant color for the 2nd data?

Highest Regards,

Rodney
Atcom VoIP Phones
VoIP Demo

Best VoIP Phones Canada

Visit Atcom to get started with your new business VoIP phone system ASAP
Turn up is quick, painless, and can often be done same day.
Let us show you how to do VoIP right, resulting in crystal clear call quality and easy-to-use features that make everyone happy!
Proudly serving Canada from coast to coast.

#442728 06/20/05 07:06 AM
I think the important thing, is to be consistent with the color you use. I use yellow for data and green for telco. Just make sure you use different colors for data and phone. If you choose a color stick with it don't change, that way if you go back to that company again you know what is what. Now faceplates are different, the comon colors are white and ivory, depends on the color of the wall.

#442729 06/20/05 02:33 PM
We've standardized on white CAT5E (or CAT6) for data and white CAT3 for voice. We can USUALLY tell by touch which is which, but if that doesn't work, read the cable, it'll tell you what it is! I've had situations where we ran short on a job and had to pick up extra from suppliers who don't necessarily carry our brand (Commscope, by the way); this way white is usually available in whatever brand is available. We also use orange jacks for data and white jacks for voice. For mutliple voice outlets in one faceplate we use different icons.

#442730 10/29/05 09:07 PM
We always match the faceplate for voice... usually 6 pin jacks...

My standard colors for data are personal choice.. and going back to the consistency thing.. I find that blue looks great on bright white face plates and is found alot in our area.. and when the office has ivory face plates.. then I like using dark green... looks a bit better against the ivory than the blue...

In the several hospital environments we work in, the customer has always specified orange for data... I don't know if this is a standard for that industry or not...

It easier for ongoing operations to settle on a standard and only stock your standards.. than to have to keep multiple colors around for any given situation...

As for cable coloring... I always use white for voice.. and colored cable for data... In large installations, where I have multiple data jacks per workspace... and a large TR, I pull cable consistent with the color for the jack.. ie... Use an open patch bay... populate with white, blue, yellow and green in that order... then pull white, blue, yellow and green cable to every wall jack.. keeps things very consistent and makes troubleshooting easier.. also makes your TR look very clean and professional...

I have even split out the four colors into seperate vertical patch bay racks... one rack with white patch panel jacks, white cable and white wall jacks... and another vertical patch bay rack for blue... and yellow, and green.. etc... that way your jack numbering is clean within each jack color... you can also use this to specify... voice on white... data 1 on blue... fax on yellow... etc.. on green..

All depends on the size of the installation and the number of drops you are trying to organize...

CC

Craig Conley - Conley Communication Services
510-760-8128 or [email protected]

[Linked Image from conleycomm.com]
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Silversam 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums84
Topics94,262
Posts638,697
Members49,757
Most Online5,661
May 23rd, 2018
Popular Topics(Views)
211,111 Shoretel
187,716 CTX100 install
186,809 1a2 system
Newest Members
BPopilek, Rich F, LewisR, TDKs79, Buttinset
49,757 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
dexman 18
Toner 11
TDKs79 7
teleco 4
Who's Online Now
2 members (Curlycord, OBT), 57 guests, and 409 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Contact Us | Sponsored by Atcom: One of the best VoIP Phone Canada Suppliers for your business telephone system!| Terms of Service

Sundance Communications is not affiliated with any of the above manufacturers. Sundance Phone System Forums - VOIP & Cloud Phone Help
©Copyright Sundance Communications 1998-2024