web statisticsweb stats

Business Phone Systems

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
DCapone Offline OP
OP Offline
Does anyone distribute a line of phone to several rooms in a method other than below using a 66 block?

IE..

Terminate cables from all rooms to right side of block.

Terminate phone line to left side of block and punch down from 1 pin set to the next and clip across to corresponding "rooms"?

Atcom VoIP Phones
VoIP Demo

Best VoIP Phones Canada

Visit Atcom to get started with your new business VoIP phone system ASAP
Turn up is quick, painless, and can often be done same day.
Let us show you how to do VoIP right, resulting in crystal clear call quality and easy-to-use features that make everyone happy!
Proudly serving Canada from coast to coast.

Admin
Admin
It depends on what the phones are. Standard slt phones I would do it that way but if you use the non ksu phones then you need to watch the total wire length

Merritt

Business Telephones & Equipment + Commercial Audio/Video Products
Commercial Communications . . . Turner, Maine
If it was built after 1980 don't expect it to work right.
DCapone Offline OP
OP Offline
Using Cat5 cable, what would the limit on the rooms be if the average cable run was say 40 ft, would it follow the standard networking rule of 300 ft?

This concept recently came up in my head in that I have been considering using levitron structured wiring kits, however I don't know if their room distribution units are doing anything more than what I am doing on the block and they don't seem to indicate any type of limit and press the fact that they are expandable (12+ rooms).

For a a POTS line there isn't any distance limitation, and certainly not something you would have to worry about in residential construction. The only thing I would avoid is CAT5. Long runs can attenuate a DSL carrier due to the tight twists. Use CAT3 like you are supposed to, save the CAT5 for the computers.

I think what you are thinking about doing with a split 66 block is fine. I would stay far away from any kind of structured wiring product. Much easier and cheaper to do it the tried and true way and when the next guy comes along he won't want to rip it out.

-Hal

CALIFORNIA PROPOSITION 65 WARNING: Some comments made by me are known to the State of California to cause irreversible brain damage and serious mental disorders leading to confinement.
Moderator-Avaya-Lucent, Antique Tele
Moderator-Avaya-Lucent, Antique Tele
The distance limitation you run into is with non-ksu multiline phones, like the AT&T 954's, or whatever they are called these days.

If you have a lot of wire between sets, they become unreliable with the lights and intercoms.

You obviously have a lot more wire involved with home runs, although I'd never recommend looping wiring these days.

They will sell or mail you a "filter" that you install between the MPOE and the wiring block that helps compensate for excessive wiring.

Originally posted by hbiss:
The only thing I would avoid is CAT5. Long runs can attenuate a DSL carrier due to the tight twists.
You've stated this before, and I'm curious to know how you determined this to be the case? (That, given equal length runs of Cat3 and Cat5, the Cat5 would attenuate the signal more).

Spec sheets are no help. At 1MHz, they claim Cat5 has less attenuation than Cat3.

DCapone Offline OP
OP Offline
Thanks for the replies, I don't really due non-ksu multiline installations in anything but small offices where i highly doubt any distance limits would come into. I had a moment of concern because of POTS residential installations where total cable lengths can make it to 500+ ft mark.

hal,

I'm also curious as brian is where the info that cat3 is better than cat5.

I ask because i frequently pull a single run cable with 2 RG6 and 2 Cat5 bundled.

I think it may all be academic anyway. The DSL signal should never be so weak that even 500 feet of Cat5 should cause a problem. Consider the distance between the DSLAM and the MPOE.

Moderated by  Silversam 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums84
Topics94,288
Posts638,794
Members49,767
Most Online5,661
May 23rd, 2018
Popular Topics(Views)
212,349 Shoretel
188,998 CTX100 install
187,390 1a2 system
Newest Members
Robbks, A2A Networks, James D., Nadisale, andreww
49,767 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
Toner 23
teleco 7
dexman 5
dans 4
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 130 guests, and 401 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Contact Us | Sponsored by Atcom: One of the best VoIP Phone Canada Suppliers for your business telephone system!| Terms of Service

Sundance Communications is not affiliated with any of the above manufacturers. Sundance Phone System Forums - VOIP & Cloud Phone Help
©Copyright Sundance Communications 1998-2024