web statisticsweb stats

Business Phone Systems

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
When I first hooked up my T1 to my ESI, I punched #24 stranded wire into the 66 pins corresponding to the T1 inputs. It worked fine the first time. A few months later, I was switching T1's around. Lo and behold this time after punching down a few times, I couldn't get a sync. Somehow, I realized that I probably wasn't making good contact. I stripped off a little bit and slid the wire in the slot as much as possible then wrapped it around the terminal a little, and shoved a bridge clip over it. After the same routine for the other 3, I immediately got sync, and was back up and running.

I'll have to pick up some scotchloks or something so I can re-wire it with a more preffered method.

Rob Cashman
Customer Support Engineer
Atcom VoIP Phones
VoIP Demo

Best VoIP Phones Canada

Visit Atcom to get started with your new business VoIP phone system ASAP
Turn up is quick, painless, and can often be done same day.
Let us show you how to do VoIP right, resulting in crystal clear call quality and easy-to-use features that make everyone happy!
Proudly serving Canada from coast to coast.

That would never work in todays studios...

Well, it wasn't that long ago and a balanced mic line is still a balanced mic line. This guy I think said he did the QVC studios also and used 66 blocks for the mic lines.

-Hal

CALIFORNIA PROPOSITION 65 WARNING: Some comments made by me are known to the State of California to cause irreversible brain damage and serious mental disorders leading to confinement.
Admin
Admin
This guy I think said he did the QVC studios also and used 66 blocks for the mic lines.
Thats maybe why the audio is so poor when you listen to QVC

Merritt

Business Telephones & Equipment + Commercial Audio/Video Products
Commercial Communications . . . Turner, Maine
If it was built after 1980 don't expect it to work right.
I agree with KLD tin the ends. By the way when I use music on hold cords, I get them from radio shack . Come in 6 foot lengths in RCA or 1.8mm with one end already pre-tinned. Makes for a perfect punch on 66-110 blocks.

Also not to call out or critique Robcalltroll but you stated "When I first hooked up my T1 to my ESI, I punched #24 stranded wire into the 66 pins corresponding to the T1 inputs". And closed out with "I'll have to pick up some scotchloks or something so I can re-wire it with a more preffered method". I'm guessing you cut a patchcord and punched one end to a block. None of the above mentioned is a preffered method. Always try to keep everything jacked so you can "plug and pray". Use solid wire off the block to a jack then plug up. The original post was about audio cables so when I read your post I had a vision. Telco tech comes out for a trouble ticket on your T-1 and finds that mess hooked to the smart jack! I'm not picking on you but I've been there brother and I got a t-shirt!

Yes Rob, the right way would be to take a piece of CAT3 cable and press a plug on the end of it then punch the other end down.

I always cringe when I find an installation full of line cords used to interconnect the KSU with the CO's or extensions.

-Hal

CALIFORNIA PROPOSITION 65 WARNING: Some comments made by me are known to the State of California to cause irreversible brain damage and serious mental disorders leading to confinement.
Moderator-Vertical, Vodavi, 1A2, Outside Wire
Moderator-Vertical, Vodavi, 1A2, Outside Wire
My personal preference is to run a piece of JK, jumper wire or anything solid from the 66 block to a 42A block and make the transition to the audio cable using the screw terminals.

I have seen a MOH cable, I assume factory-made that had a 6/C mod plug on one end. I guess they wanted it to just plug into a jack connected to the MOH input of the KSU. I would imagine that would be a bad idea since if plugged into a live jack it would blow the MOH device. Not a bad concept, but it obviously didn't last for that reason. It could have been field-terminated though.

I am with you Hal on your second item.

Ed Vaughn, MBSWWYPBX
Yeah hal that reminds me of one time I sent a new guy out to install a Partner system. Actually I was wanting to test his skill level since this was his first install working for our company. This guy talked like he might at least know the basics. Even said "Man ,I've installed a ton of Partners. Sent him out on the job and about 7 hours later he calls and says franticly "Bring me a new cabinet, processor and 308 exp card cause I've got static like hell! I thought to myself " Lets go check this dude out somethings not right"! Got over there and seen he ruined 15 patch cords needless to say! Well he learned his lesson at my expence. Personally if I see stranded wire on a 66 block or even 110 bix krone... I don't like it! But I do wonder why scotchloks work so dog gone good on just about any type wire under the same gauge ratings? Their an IDC type connection too!

IDC connections can work on stranded wire just fine, if designed for that purpose.

Practically all ribbon cable is stranded, and practically all of it is terminated with IDC connectors.

I think the big problem with 66 blocks and stranded is that the 66 block has a large piece of metal that starts out completely shut and tends to cut clear thru most of the fine strands wheras 110 blocks and ribbon connectors have a slight gap and less "spring" so they do less damage.

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  Silversam 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums84
Topics94,283
Posts638,765
Members49,764
Most Online5,661
May 23rd, 2018
Popular Topics(Views)
211,446 Shoretel
188,305 CTX100 install
187,082 1a2 system
Newest Members
Nadisale, andreww, gohunt, Darrick, telecopippo
49,764 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
Toner 23
teleco 7
dexman 4
jc2it 4
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 158 guests, and 284 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Contact Us | Sponsored by Atcom: One of the best VoIP Phone Canada Suppliers for your business telephone system!| Terms of Service

Sundance Communications is not affiliated with any of the above manufacturers. Sundance Phone System Forums - VOIP & Cloud Phone Help
©Copyright Sundance Communications 1998-2024