Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
#445394 03/23/07 03:35 AM
Originally posted by jeffmoss26:
What is an MC10?
It's a building terminal, but it is not a DEMARK. It belongs to Teleco. Sorry Jeff I don't own a digital camera and a quick search on google didn't bring one up.

Retired phone dude
Atcom VoIP Phones
VoIP Demo

Best VoIP Phones Canada

Visit Atcom to get started with your new business VoIP phone system ASAP
Turn up is quick, painless, and can often be done same day.
Let us show you how to do VoIP right, resulting in crystal clear call quality and easy-to-use features that make everyone happy!
Proudly serving Canada from coast to coast.

#445395 03/23/07 04:18 AM
Moderator-Comdial
Moderator-Comdial
Telcos down here have been using outdoor NIU's for specials for quite awhile. They look like pregnant NIU's and contain 2 circuits.

#445396 03/23/07 05:32 AM
I think that the original installers could have at least provided better protection for the exposed cables. Exposed cables combined with a few mischievous youngsters could result in service problems. TechHead: Geographically speaking, where in the "USA" is this site? Could local weather elements pose any potential hazzards with exposed cables?

#445397 03/23/07 05:40 AM
That looks like a clean NIU from here. It should have been inside, but heck that looks pretty clean conpared to some out there.

#445398 03/23/07 06:20 AM
OP Offline
jacktel: Thanks for the idea about writing the letter to the telco to advise them that the boxes will be locked due to an unsecured install. Honestly, the telco complains quite a bit when they come out to work on things since I keep the NIU locked already, but perhaps something more "formal" might prompt further action.

Hal: I couldn't agree with you more. I wish I would have a least been able to be present when the NIU was installed 6 years ago so that I could have argued with the telco at that time.

I think I read something one time regarding that the NIU is to be placed as close to the CPE as possible for the line (which is actually at the other side of the building), but I need to do some research before I call to file a complaint.

Mike: We are located in Iowa, so of course we have snowy, frigid winters and hot, humid summers; a cable's best friend.

Thanks again everyone, I really appreciate the comments.

#445399 04/25/07 01:47 PM
To the OP: Not bad... I've seen MUCH MUCH WORSE!!

If could look better but it's nothing out of the ordinary.

I gotta find some of the pics I took when I was doing REHAB in this area.

There was a housing project where the local kids were using term covers as sleds and the little girls were getting their brother to get them wire from the terms for their dolls hair...

Don't even get me started about the mouse infested terms in the countryside.The mice chew the insulation and use it for nesting material. My goodness the smell of a terminal that has a family of mice living in it is TERRIBLE!!

A CST's favorite numbers:0962/600
#445400 04/25/07 01:52 PM
Originally posted by hbiss:
It's the "snowball effect". DEMARC was installed outside. Then the T1 was installed and they put it next to the DEMARC because they don't want to be responsible for IW between the DEMARC and the remote unit. The remote unit is the DEMARC for the T1- after that it's the customer's responsibility. So no, you cannot legally move it yourself.

Like I said before, this all goes back to the "intelligence" of the owner or contractor who was present when service to the building was installed. I have found that most times with small commercial buildings telephone service is an afterthought. Build the building, finish all the site work, landscape then expect the TELCO to bring in service. It probably wouldn't have cost much if anything to locate the DEMARC inside at a suitable location with a little planning. But once its installed you are stuck with it unless you want to shell out big bucks to have it moved.

-Hal
Believe it or not it's usually not that they don't want to be liable for a longer run of IW to the remote unit. It's that they didn't want to have to run it! I don't know about in other areas of the country but when I worked for the phone company I got paid by the hour not by the job and I certainly didn't get a commission or have to pay for repairs out of my own pocket. SO, I just like 99.9% of my co-workers didn't care. Probably notwhat you want to hear but it is the truth...

Remember guys, most TelCo Techs aren't running the company line they are just doing a job. I NEVER tried to stick it to subs because it was better for the company. I only stuck it to subs that were rude to me smile I got paid the same NO MATTER WHAT I did.

A CST's favorite numbers:0962/600
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  Silversam 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums84
Topics94,287
Posts638,793
Members49,767
Most Online5,661
May 23rd, 2018
Popular Topics(Views)
212,184 Shoretel
188,992 CTX100 install
187,380 1a2 system
Newest Members
Robbks, A2A Networks, James D., Nadisale, andreww
49,767 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
Toner 23
teleco 7
dexman 5
dans 4
Who's Online Now
1 members (nortelvoip), 146 guests, and 166 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Contact Us | Sponsored by Atcom: One of the best VoIP Phone Canada Suppliers for your business telephone system!| Terms of Service

Sundance Communications is not affiliated with any of the above manufacturers. Sundance Phone System Forums - VOIP & Cloud Phone Help
©Copyright Sundance Communications 1998-2024