web statisticsweb stats

Business Phone Systems

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
I have been told by a few suppliers that all 5e is produced with the intent of meeting a 350 MHz standard but, only the more expensive stuff is tested to make sure it meets that spec. In the end, I doubt any of them actually test it. The 100 is probably as close to 350 as the 350 is, but that's just my cynical guess.

Atcom VoIP Phones
VoIP Demo

Best VoIP Phones Canada

Visit Atcom to get started with your new business VoIP phone system ASAP
Turn up is quick, painless, and can often be done same day.
Let us show you how to do VoIP right, resulting in crystal clear call quality and easy-to-use features that make everyone happy!
Proudly serving Canada from coast to coast.

Moderator-Avaya
Moderator-Avaya
I would say your about right Mark.

Avaya SMB Authorized Business Partner. ACIS/APSS
ESI Certified Reseller/Installer
www.regal-comm.com
HJB Offline
Originally posted by MASSTECH:
All - Thanks for the input!

The application is rather simple, voice/data on the same network, POE switches. Customer wants to push Gig as both the IP phones and switches are Gig.

We do it all the time, this is the first time I came across a specific request for 350Mhz. (once again not customer driven, but competition suggested)

The cables that we usually use is Supperior-Essex Cat5e. The minimum compliance cable is 6 cents less per foot, than the "high-end" stuff from the same manufacturer.
Definitely go with the higher-end CAT-5E cable.

Hans Broesicke, RCDD
HJB Offline
The mfgs do sweep test the cable to ensure compliance with the standards. They need to ensure that they are supplying a quality product in order to protect their name/reputation and also to minimize risk seeing as they are often warrantying this product for 25+ years into the future.

Hans Broesicke, RCDD
Definitely go with the higher-end CAT-5E cable... especially from Superior Essex.
So to make sure I understand... Superior Essex is consider low end? What brands are the high end? ADC, Belden, CommScope?

Candor - Intelligence - Good Will
HJB Offline
Originally posted by richardmorris:
Definitely go with the higher-end CAT-5E cable... especially from Superior Essex.
So to make sure I understand... Superior Essex is consider low end? What brands are the high end? ADC, Belden, CommScope?
They're certainly at the low end when it comes to price. As far as quality goes I've had a few contractors complain about it. But, that can be said of most cables out there. I'll go so far as saying that Essex is known for price, not performance. That doesn't mean it performs poorly, it just means that their selling point is that they are inexpensive when compared to other manufacturers.

Manufacturers that I would consider high-end would be:

* Belden
* Systimax
* Berk-Tek

Hans Broesicke, RCDD
KLD Offline
Hmmmmmmmm-------RCDD?

Real Cool Data Dude ??????

:shrug:

High priced names not high priced performance.

The best cable produced is junk if not properly handled during installation. When cable is difficult to work with and terminate it becomes degraded very quickly.

So buy what you need and use the proper manpower and technics to install and terminate --- not a big name manufacturer.

My income tax return worth.

Ken
---------
HJB Offline
Originally posted by KLD:
The best cable produced is junk if not properly handled during installation. When cable is difficult to work with and terminate it becomes degraded very quickly.

So buy what you need and use the proper manpower and technics to install and terminate --- not a big name manufacturer.
I just ran into someone who installed 750,000' of CAT-6 PLENUM cable because it was extremely inexpensive. It wasn't any brand that you probably have heard of. Anyways, they are now looking to purchase another 750,000' because the first 250 or so drops that they tested all FAILED. All of them. Now they have to reinstall all of the cable.

Cable quality does matter as this contractor learned the hard way.

I deal with Superior Essex every day and I never encounter problems with it.

Regarding installation workmanship... I always assume that it is installed properly. You have to make that assumption in any product comparison.

Hans Broesicke, RCDD
HJB,
Want to make sure all understand I was not trying to get you to dis Superior Essex and perhaps get yourself in trouble. I suppose that is possible. Few of us as individuals get to buy a box of every brand of cable out there for comparison. That would get expensive. So we sorta rely on each other to do the testing for us, thus part of the reason for a forum in the first place. All cable is not the same, just like all of most any product is not the same. Generally, and I think we would all agree, generally, we get what we pay for. I realize we have veered off topic just a bit but I think this needed to be said.

Is it ok to mention brand names and give our opinions about them, so long as it's done in a objective and respectful manner?

Candor - Intelligence - Good Will
Online Content
There's nothing wrong with giving your professional opinion of a product. Probably should start another post for that topic though.

Retired phone dude
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  Silversam 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums84
Topics94,289
Posts638,795
Members49,767
Most Online5,661
May 23rd, 2018
Popular Topics(Views)
212,352 Shoretel
189,007 CTX100 install
187,392 1a2 system
Newest Members
Robbks, A2A Networks, James D., Nadisale, andreww
49,767 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
Toner 23
teleco 7
dexman 5
dans 3
Who's Online Now
1 members (justbill), 144 guests, and 403 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Contact Us | Sponsored by Atcom: One of the best VoIP Phone Canada Suppliers for your business telephone system!| Terms of Service

Sundance Communications is not affiliated with any of the above manufacturers. Sundance Phone System Forums - VOIP & Cloud Phone Help
©Copyright Sundance Communications 1998-2024