Business Phone Systems

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
OP Offline
Originally posted by hbiss:
Larry makes an excellent point. Why are you installing boxes anyway? Let the sparkie do his job and take the heat if there is a problem.

-Hal
To be blunt, I feel that 'pure' sparkies (i.e., no tel/data experience) have no more business putting in our conduit/boxes than they have doing any other aspect of our job. I've mentioned elsewhere on this forum some of the problems I've had with sparky installed conduit and boxes - there's enough horror stories there to make another thread.

ETA: I realize I didn't answer your question. We don't always do our own conduit work. Somewhere along the line we got into it.. I remember now: mid '07, EC bid the v/d work a 44 room addition onto a hotel when it changed brands. The LV crew was fired from that job and it fell into our lap. Conduit work started then.

Some jobs still do not call for conduit (or do but customer does not want to pay for it), so everything is free-wired like a home would be. I have never worked one of these jobs where the EC installed our boxes, and only one where the studs were actually marked for us.

How does one have a "bay" with a staggered wood stud wall? 2x6" top and bottom plates with 2x4" studs staggered every 8" means the entire wall is a bay. This type of construction is prevalent in smaller (90 rooms or less) hotels in the area.

Even with separated bays, room layouts are often so tight that moving, say, a data box for a desk, 2' either way often means it's going to end up behind a cabinent, armoir, picture, mirror, or even inside a closet.

Larry, right now, I've got the opposite mindset of you: every time we run across an unfishable, missing, unfinished, or stubbed out to an inaccessable space conduit, I ask myself "Why did we let the EC do our conduit/box work?"

Back on topic, I will make it a point to get with the AHJ when I can. In most cases right now, it's too little, too late as the jobs are already under contract. Adding in several k of putty pads/sheetock baffles/whatever to a job for proper/required firestops not bid that way will bite the boss, not me.

Am I wrong in thinking that UL Fire Resistance Directory is supposed to have products, applications, ratings, etc. that building codes and NFPA (and the NEC?) are based upon? It might not have all the answers I'm looking for, but it can't hurt to have a copy either.

That there is no apparent definitive answer to the question of box separation and firestopping is troubling. AHJs are too variable in their knowledge - some are extremely well-learned, others seem somewhat oblivious to v/d/v cabling other than an occasional "is that plenum wire?" or "keep it off the ceiling grids and sprinkler pipes". I'm sure we've all seen things pass inspections that shouldn't or have been failed for proper work.

Jack

The question is more important than the answer.
Atcom VoIP Phones
VoIP Demo

Best VoIP Phones Canada

Visit Atcom to get started with your new business VoIP phone system ASAP
Turn up is quick, painless, and can often be done same day.
Let us show you how to do VoIP right, resulting in crystal clear call quality and easy-to-use features that make everyone happy!
Proudly serving Canada from coast to coast.

Moderator-Vertical, Vodavi
Moderator-Vertical, Vodavi
Originally posted by Fletcher:
Larry, right now, I've got the opposite mindset of you: every time we run across an unfishable, missing, unfinished, or stubbed out to an inaccessable space conduit, I ask myself "Why did we let the EC do our conduit/box work?"
:rofl:

Valid point!

OP Offline
*bumped for new information*

Originally posted by Fletcher:
I will make it a point to get with the AHJ when I can...
Done. On a recent job, the electrical inspector allowed direct back to back box placement in fire rated walls, but all boxes in that wall had to be wrapped with putty pads - reason being that the pre-cut holes in the metal studs couldn't be firestopped, thus the entire wall was considered a single bay.

Jack

The question is more important than the answer.
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Silversam 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums84
Topics94,284
Posts638,772
Members49,765
Most Online5,661
May 23rd, 2018
Popular Topics(Views)
211,461 Shoretel
188,325 CTX100 install
187,092 1a2 system
Newest Members
Nadisale, andreww, gohunt, Darrick, telecopippo
49,764 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
Toner 23
teleco 5
jc2it 4
dans 3
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 100 guests, and 341 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Contact Us | Sponsored by Atcom: One of the best VoIP Phone Canada Suppliers for your business telephone system!| Terms of Service

Sundance Communications is not affiliated with any of the above manufacturers. Sundance Phone System Forums - VOIP & Cloud Phone Help
©Copyright Sundance Communications 1998-2024