Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
#472771 12/16/09 10:45 AM
Moderator-Toshiba
Moderator-Toshiba
Originally posted by PacketSmasher5000:
99% of the time hosted solutions are pure trash. I get three calls a week with the same story... some guy promised me the sun and the moon on hosted.. my t1 goes down every other day and my phone is reduced to the worlds most expensive paper weight.. hosted is great if you sell it.. it sucks if you buy it. You never own anything except the phones and eventually you will get pissed enough to give up and then you have to look for something that can run your polycom or cisco endpoints..... if you are a interconnect and you're even remotely considering hosted DON'T DO IT!.. the easy revenue from the carrier is sexy at first.. but you will get the pissed off end user call eventually and he's not going to blame the carrier.. he's got your neck to choke.... the ONLY time hosted really works for is those customers who are in a distributed system and only plan on using the phones in any given location for a temporary time (contract work).. great for commercial builders who move their offices every two years to a new job.. this technology can work great.. but you need a bulletproof T-1 and QoS to even begin to think about deploying something like this..
Hi PacketSmasher5000,

I am relatively new the hosted VoIP world and have a few questions about your statement/post. When you say "three calls per week...", who are the most common hosted providers you hear of? With the T-1 going down every other day, have they looked into a different solution for internet service?

One more question. smile

With the service going down so often, does their provider not forward calls to an alternate location when their internet is down?

- Tony
Ohio Data LLC
Phone systems, data networks, firewalls and servers in Central Ohio.
Some people aren't used to an environment where excellence is expected.
Atcom VoIP Phones
VoIP Demo

Best VoIP Phones Canada

Visit Atcom to get started with your new business VoIP phone system ASAP
Turn up is quick, painless, and can often be done same day.
Let us show you how to do VoIP right, resulting in crystal clear call quality and easy-to-use features that make everyone happy!
Proudly serving Canada from coast to coast.

#472772 12/16/09 04:47 PM
Our company does a lot of hosted VoIP. We have few problems with a T1 and a QOS router we install. Edgewater is our router of choice.

I don't think a T-1 going down all the time is a hosted VoIP issue. Even if you don't use VoIP, why would you put up with your T-1 going down all the time. Today the Internet is just as important to most businesses as their phone lines. Even the telco carriers are getting into Voip with their combined voice/data service.

When we install a system we make sure they have enough bandwidth, and we use our routers. In most cases we have very good call quality. If there is a problem we work to try and fix it as part of our service.

On the other side, I had 2 customers change their 6-8 business lines in their phone switch to Vontage over DSL. In both cases I put them back to analog POTS within a week.

#472773 12/16/09 06:44 PM
Moderator-Toshiba
Moderator-Toshiba
Originally posted by newtecky:
On the other side, I had 2 customers change their 6-8 business lines in their phone switch to Vontage over DSL. In both cases I put them back to analog POTS within a week.
Ditto.

We had a local spa change their dial-tone to Vonage. They had 7 lines, if memory serves. They had missed all calls for two days in a row and couldn't port one of the numbers for some odd reason. The call quality was flaky at best... only working well on 2 or three of the lines at a time.

The problem with Vonage and the like, is that they are not Business grade solutions. They were touting $650-700 savings per month for this customer. But at what costs, only being able to utilize 1/3rd of your lines to any standard of quality?

After about 3-5 weeks of back and forth with Vonage and many dropped, missed and poor quality calls... they were back to POTS and we were reconnecting to their Bell feeder.

- Tony
Ohio Data LLC
Phone systems, data networks, firewalls and servers in Central Ohio.
Some people aren't used to an environment where excellence is expected.
#472774 03/22/10 07:13 PM
50+ phone lines is a bit pricey for hosted VoIP services. You should choose wisely and select providers that can be scaled to suit business needs and avoid payment services which you are not using.

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums84
Topics94,287
Posts638,784
Members49,767
Most Online5,661
May 23rd, 2018
Popular Topics(Views)
211,813 Shoretel
188,970 CTX100 install
187,204 1a2 system
Newest Members
A2A Networks, James D., Nadisale, andreww, gohunt
49,766 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
Toner 22
teleco 5
dexman 4
dans 3
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 103 guests, and 176 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Contact Us | Sponsored by Atcom: One of the best VoIP Phone Canada Suppliers for your business telephone system!| Terms of Service

Sundance Communications is not affiliated with any of the above manufacturers. Sundance Phone System Forums - VOIP & Cloud Phone Help
©Copyright Sundance Communications 1998-2024