Business Phone Systems

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Moderator-Vertical, Vodavi, 1A2, Outside Wire
There should be no need to open the network. The transformer inside has no bearing upon the operation of the ringer. Terminals on the network A and K just have a capacitor connected between them an that is all. If it fails, which I don't think it has, a separate capacitor can be connected externally across terminals A and K.

There is a reason why the networks are riveted to the base of the phone. They never fail. I think that you are wasting your time to try to remove it and troubleshoot there.

Didn't you say that you got the phone to work properly other than ringing? If so, I'd put that network back together pronto and hope that by dragging the components out through the "goo", you didn't break any of the fine transformer windings. This transformer comprises the voice coil to balance the transmit/receive levels and has nothing to do with the ringer at all.

When I suggested that you check for continuity, I meant testing between the individual leads on the ringer coil itself.

Ed Vaughn, MBSWWYPBX
Atcom VoIP Phones
VoIP Demo

Best VoIP Phones Canada

Visit Atcom to get started with your new business VoIP phone system ASAP
Turn up is quick, painless, and can often be done same day.
Let us show you how to do VoIP right, resulting in crystal clear call quality and easy-to-use features that make everyone happy!
Proudly serving Canada from coast to coast.

At this point, the phone is a chock, or an anchor. They are routinely thrown away, and are worthless (well, worth about $5.00). The goo is there for a reason. It keeps people from futzing with the network. The "transformer" is the ringer coil. If it's open, throw it away and replace the ringer. If you want to educate yourself in telephony, there are much more interesting devices upon which to learn. Let me know where to send a ringer.

Arthur P. Bloom
"30 years of faithful service...15 years on hold"

Z07 Offline OP
OP Offline
Thanks guys.

Ed, I did test the "coil" by disconnecting the wires from the net and checking for continuity between the terminals. I checked every possible combination and they are all isolated from the others. I can only guess why it failed.

Arthur, I'll PM you my contact info but I've got to pay you something for the ringer.

I only bent the tabs on the net and cracked one side enough to see and feel the goo before I stopped. I haven't drilled out the rivets yet.

I know you all have better things to do than educate me on old phone tech and I am greatful.

Business makes progress. Fortune passes everywhere.
Glad to help you learn a little bit about these creatures. Arthur, that was very generous of you to offer to provide a replacement at such a "discount". What a place this is.

Ed Vaughn, MBSWWYPBX
Ringer is in the mail. It's a priceless antique, date code 1959, by the way.

I'm never sure whether I mean priceless or worthless.

Arthur P. Bloom
"30 years of faithful service...15 years on hold"

Z07 Offline OP
OP Offline
Thanks, Arthur!

I'll post a pic of my "new" phone when it's all put together with your ringer.

Business makes progress. Fortune passes everywhere.
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums84
Topics94,279
Posts638,739
Members49,764
Most Online5,661
May 23rd, 2018
Popular Topics(Views)
211,291 Shoretel
188,177 CTX100 install
187,020 1a2 system
Newest Members
Nadisale, andreww, gohunt, Darrick, telecopippo
49,764 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
Toner 15
jc2it 4
dexman 4
teleco 4
Who's Online Now
1 members (sk), 107 guests, and 91 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Contact Us | Sponsored by Atcom: One of the best VoIP Phone Canada Suppliers for your business telephone system!| Terms of Service

Sundance Communications is not affiliated with any of the above manufacturers. Sundance Phone System Forums - VOIP & Cloud Phone Help
©Copyright Sundance Communications 1998-2024