web statisticsweb stats Business Phone Systems Tech Talk Forum - VOIP & Cloud Phone Help

Business Phone Systems

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
remp Offline OP
OP Offline
I need to build an adapter cable with a RJ9 handset plug on one end and a 2.5mm headset plug on the other.

Long story... Our ATT 972's have a 2.5mm headphone jack but the signal is too weak for a mobile phone headset. Ergo, we need to use headsets with amplifiers and they only accept a RJ9 input.

Can someone post wiring diagrams for standard RJ9 handset plugs and 2.5mm headset plugs? With that info, I'll be able to build the adapters.

...thanks

Atcom VoIP Phones
VoIP Demo

Best VoIP Phones Canada

Visit Atcom to get started with your new business VoIP phone system ASAP
Turn up is quick, painless, and can often be done same day.
Let us show you how to do VoIP right, resulting in crystal clear call quality and easy-to-use features that make everyone happy!
Proudly serving Canada from coast to coast.

Moderator-Vertical, Vodavi, 1A2, Outside Wire
What's an RJ9? Do you mean a handset cord jack? I have never heard that terminology before, so I don't know how to accurately answer your question.

The policy on this forum is that your profile be completley filled out, so if you would take care of that, you may get a better answer. Welcome aboard!

Ed Vaughn, MBSWWYPBX
Moderator-Allworx, Nisuko-Tie, Vodavi
Moderator-Allworx, Nisuko-Tie, Vodavi
I just got done with spending hours & hours to try to adapt an old mod plug headset to a 2.5mm last week. The hours were spent looking at catalogs to find an adapter that would work. Tried a 1 male tail with two females so that you could plug in the headset and the handset. It just didn't work out well at all. Low volume. I'm really down on trying to get headsets for customers. Hours of frustration, and they still don't like what you come up with. Perhaps get a headset with a built in vol control. Perhaps do a google for 2.5mm/adapter/mod plug. Good Luck. Going with amplified headset may cost 3 to 4 times the cost of that phone. Whenever you fight the design or have cheap innards to begin with ---you're fighting a losing battle.

RIP Moderator-Mitel, Panasonic
RIP Moderator-Mitel, Panasonic
I'm with JWR. I hate headsets. Customer wants to 'try it out'. Let's take a poll, how many of you have 'trial' headsets you can't legitamently sell 'cause they're used and refurb cost can't be justified. Gotta say we have been successful with Plantronics CS50. Make up our own adapter cables for 76XX Panasonic. Our sales spiel is we have them, you pick them up at our store. Warranty issues direct w/manufacturer. (We test them before they leave the store.) 50% restock charge.
It works! And no more headaches. Our attitude is, "We know the headset works, but will you work with the headset!" John

When I was young, I was Liberal. As I aged and wised up, I became Conservative. Now that I'm old, I have settled on Curmudgeon.
I don't know if this is what you are looking for but I found a headset amplifier with both handset and headset connections at: https://www.radioshack.com/product/...ntronics+amplifier&parentPage=search
I hope this may be helpful or not.

Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
You can have your customer contact "Hello Direct" they sell headsets for just about anything and if they don't work or the customer just doesn't want it they can send it back for a full refund. their number is 1-800 hi hello

2.5 mm headsets
Much easier way to go!

lol... You DON'T KNOW WHAT AN RJ9 CONNECTOR IS???!!!

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!!!

If ya don't know what an RJ9 is, go back to your old job at McDonald's.
Hello, Mr. TechmanJed:

The Universal Service Order Code (USOC) was developed between the Bell System and the FCC as a uniform standard for ordering network connection jacks. These registered jacks (RJs) were devised so that a customer could order their service from any telephone company in the country and be assured of receiving the exact same thing. For example, an RJ11 is a single CO line appearing on pins 3/4 of a 6P4C modular jack, an RJ21X is a block containing up to 25 CO lines, etc.

There never was an RJ9, RJ10 or RJ22 handset connection developed under this program. USOC "RJ" designations are wiring patterns upon different types of jacks, not specific pieces of hardware. Additionally, any "RJ" designation ends at the wall. No component of a telephone set has an "RJ" designation, period.

The fact that you and yours have developed your own home-grown connector terminology is all well and good, but don't come here with the intention of insulting others with your inaccurate information. I challenge you to take a handset cord from a Toshiba phone and plug it into the handset of an AT&T Trimline phone and expect it to work. This little test itself should prove that there is no uniform standard in handset jack wiring.

From another forum:

RJ-numbers are well defined standards in a telco environment. It describes signal names and wires used on several plugs/jacks. So using the name RJxx in a data network or other non-telco environment is misleading. It is about the same common error like using RS232 for a DB25 or DB9 connector. As a wiki article has stated, handset leads and the like have no RJ-- definition, being a part of an appliance, not of the network itself. There is no official standard for this type of connections, nor can there be, so 4p4c is the best you can name it. At the same time you'd better be aware that not all manufacturers use the same pin out.

HERE IS SOME ADDITIONAL SUPPORTING INFORMATION

Oh, and Mr. TechmanJed, I'd think twice about coming here, dragging up a thread that started 3.5 years ago and slinging insults at senior management of this forum in the future.

Ed Vaughn, MBSWWYPBX
Originally posted by EV607797:
Oh, and Mr. TechmanJed, I'd think twice about coming here, dragging up a thread that started 3.5 years ago and slinging insults at senior management of this forum in the future.
Ed,

I agree!

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums84
Topics94,256
Posts638,657
Members49,756
Most Online5,661
May 23rd, 2018
Popular Topics(Views)
210,765 Shoretel
187,581 CTX100 install
186,327 1a2 system
Newest Members
Rich F, LewisR, TDKs79, Buttinset, Housetech
49,756 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
dexman 16
Toner 12
TDKs79 7
Who's Online Now
1 members (Curlycord), 82 guests, and 59 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Contact Us | Sponsored by Atcom: One of the best VoIP Phone Canada Suppliers for your business telephone system!| Terms of Service

Sundance Communications is not affiliated with any of the above manufacturers. Sundance Phone System Forums - VOIP & Cloud Phone Help
©Copyright Sundance Communications 1998-2024