web statisticsweb stats

Business Phone Systems

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#477782 05/02/09 09:47 AM
OP Offline
I have a modular phone line tester that is telling me my lines are reversed polarity (red light), but the phone and my DSL modem are both working. When I test the line out on the back of my DSL modem I get a circuit ok (green light). Is it a normal occurrence for a home phone line to be wired in reverse, and does it take away from the quality of the connection?
To say I’m an amateur at of phone lines and wiring is putting it mildly, I wasn’t aware of the issue until I self installed a jack in my bedroom to a bare line coming out of the molding, by way of downloaded instructions from Lowe’s. I’m trying to hook up a second DSL modem in my room, but don’t want to go to all the effort if it isn’t going to work properly because of the reversed polarity issue.
Will just reversing the red & green solve the problem? Or do I need to start from the source and make the corrections from there?
Any HELP will be greatly appreciated.

Leroy

Leroy
Atcom VoIP Phones
VoIP Demo

Best VoIP Phones Canada

Visit Atcom to get started with your new business VoIP phone system ASAP
Turn up is quick, painless, and can often be done same day.
Let us show you how to do VoIP right, resulting in crystal clear call quality and easy-to-use features that make everyone happy!
Proudly serving Canada from coast to coast.

#477783 05/02/09 09:54 AM
RIP Moderator-Nisuko-Tie, General
RIP Moderator-Nisuko-Tie, General
Leroy

while the polarity should be correct it really doesn't matter to modern equipment and yes reversing the wires at the jack will correct the polarity issue

you cant have two DSL modems on the same line if you want a second computer in a new room you need to run a Ethernet connection from the existing modem to the new location or add a wireless router at the existing modem location

welcome

Skip
------------------------------------

Serving SW and West central Fl since 1984
#477784 05/02/09 01:16 PM
Spam Hunter
Spam Hunter
I've had instances on my home phone line (before converting to FiOS) when the polarity started off correct, but Verizon ended up switching it while clearing cable problems.

I Love FEATURE 00
#477785 05/02/09 02:55 PM
Moderator-1A2, Cabling
Moderator-1A2, Cabling
Polarity was more important years ago when the original Tone dials did not have a polarity guard in them - reverse polarity and you couldn't dial out. Now it's much less important.

And listen to Skip! One DSL modem per telephone line. No more!

Sam

"Where are we going and why are we in this hand basket?"
#477786 05/03/09 06:57 AM
Adding a 2nd modem to the line is just going to prevent both from synchronizing w/ the DSLAM. Stick to one and run ethernet or use wireless as stated above.

Reverse the wires to correct the polarity issue if you want things to be "right." Otherwise, it will not affect any service the way it is.

Moderated by  dexman 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums84
Topics94,289
Posts638,795
Members49,767
Most Online5,661
May 23rd, 2018
Popular Topics(Views)
212,352 Shoretel
189,012 CTX100 install
187,392 1a2 system
Newest Members
Robbks, A2A Networks, James D., Nadisale, andreww
49,767 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
Toner 21
teleco 6
dexman 5
jsaad 3
dans 3
Who's Online Now
1 members (Touch Tone Tommy), 152 guests, and 413 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Contact Us | Sponsored by Atcom: One of the best VoIP Phone Canada Suppliers for your business telephone system!| Terms of Service

Sundance Communications is not affiliated with any of the above manufacturers. Sundance Phone System Forums - VOIP & Cloud Phone Help
©Copyright Sundance Communications 1998-2024