web statisticsweb stats Business Phone Systems Tech Talk Forum - VOIP & Cloud Phone Help

Business Phone Systems

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
#483321 05/15/12 09:19 AM
OP Offline
I have been off and on trouble shooting this noise that comes over our PA speakers. Its a AC noise, sounds like something is shorting out. Only wish it has, then I would be able to fix it. This noise is erratic, it happens at different times and for different intervals. So I have been reading some of these forums and noticed I am not the only person with this problem. Ill list things that I have done.

Valcom 2003A PA System, ( 12 ) 24 volt drop ceiling speakers, 10 Bull horn speakers and 2 separate power supplies. We also have a radio receiver playing call on hold music. This music is also played in our production area through the bull horns. We have disconnected the receiver but still have the noise. Our phone system is located in our server room. All computers seem to be running good. You would think if a computer component is shorting bad things would be happening.

This noise never happens over the Bull horn speakers.

1. Disconnected speakers one at a time. Ran though all the runs and noise never stopped. All speakers have separate run to the 66 block.

2. Physically checked all cables running to the 66 block. No nicks ( from mice or snags ) no runs are running parallel with high voltage. No runs are laying over any light fixtures. All runs are cat 5. Ungrounded per Valcom. The longest run is maybe 60 foot. There are no motors or such in our drop ceiling.

3. Disconnect tip and ring from PBX

4. Replaced all power supplies

5. Replaced Valcom 2003A controller

6. Disconnected tip and ring from all speakers

7. Pulled a isolated 120 volt grounded circuit for the entire phone and paging system.

8. Bypassed the UPS

9. Replaced 66 punch down blocks for both speakers and for Valcom 2033A.

10. Pulled new cat 5 wire for all speakers

11. Replaced surge protector

12. Disconnect bull horns from PA system

13. Disconnect drop ceiling speakers from PA system. No more noise. But noise never happens over bull horns anyways.

Valcom says there is no way of testing each speaker. As I said before I have disconnect each speaker 1 by 1 and the noise is still there.

Now here is something interesting. We have about 50 digital Panasonic telephones in our plant. Only one phone will pick up this noise. This phone is located in our break room. If I disconnect the phone run at the 66 block, I still here the noise, even over the disconnect phone. We have 2 vending machines, noise existed before these vending machines arrived. We have a refrigerator but there is no correspondence between compressor starting and when we hear the noise. I have traced this run back to the 66 block. Again nothing wrong with the cable and no motors or cable laying on light fixtures. I could really use some more things the look at here. Ive done every thing that I can think of except find the problem. Oh, our telephone provider was absolutely no help. Valcom states Ive checked all that they know to check.

Jason
Atcom VoIP Phones
VoIP Demo

Best VoIP Phones Canada

Visit Atcom to get started with your new business VoIP phone system ASAP
Turn up is quick, painless, and can often be done same day.
Let us show you how to do VoIP right, resulting in crystal clear call quality and easy-to-use features that make everyone happy!
Proudly serving Canada from coast to coast.

#483322 05/15/12 11:04 AM
Admin
Admin
You said two power supplies and the noise is only on the ceiling speakers.

Do the bull horns use one power supply and the ceiling speakers the other? If yes then check the power supply and power cables. My guess is the power is intermittently shorting to ground or some thing that it shouldn't.

Merritt

Business Telephones & Equipment + Commercial Audio/Video Products
Commercial Communications . . . Turner, Maine
If it was built after 1980 don't expect it to work right.
#483323 05/16/12 03:25 AM
OP Offline
Now, one power supply powers the bull horns and the other supplies the ceiling speakers. As I mentioned in my first post. Power supplies have been replaced and all new cat 5 cables have been pulled to the speakers. frown

Jason
#483324 05/16/12 03:37 AM
Is the noise a low hum? You said it sounds like something shorting out, so do you mean clicking? These things usually pick up AC induction, which would be a hum. If that's what it is turn off the breakers one at a time until it goes away. That will at least let you know what circuit is causing it. Also if it is AC induction shielded speaker cable grounded on one end should fix it, you're gaining nothing using CAT5. You could try grounding all the unused pairs in your CAT5, one end only and make them common to ground.

Retired phone dude
#483325 05/16/12 04:04 AM
OP Offline
Its not a hum like a ground loop hum. Its is more like crackling, like the sound you hear when welding. Speaking with Valcom the OEM, they state shielding the speaker run is not necessary. We all know that the OEM does not always no best, so it might be worth a try to shield the cable. This system has been up and running since 2001. Just last year 2011, no building change, this noise starts. I would like nothing better then to start throwing breakers. My issue is the breakers I need to throw, control our computer systems and offices. The second issue with throwing breakers, this noise is so erratic that we can hear the noise only once a day. Maybe the next day 4 times, maybe 30 times in one day. This noise follows no suit so I cant relay it back to any type of AC that would start and stop like that.

Jason
#483326 05/16/12 04:09 AM
Wouldn't hurt to ground your unused pair to see if it would help.

Retired phone dude
#483327 05/16/12 04:58 AM
Admin
Admin
Unless the horns and ceiling speakers are different audio feeds the problem has to be in the power. Try plugging the power into a different AC circuit. A good way to test if noise is being picked up by audio pair is when the noise is happening short the audio pair together and see if it stops.

Merritt

Business Telephones & Equipment + Commercial Audio/Video Products
Commercial Communications . . . Turner, Maine
If it was built after 1980 don't expect it to work right.
#483328 05/16/12 05:13 AM
OP Offline
I did disconnect tip and ring on all the speakers. Noise is still here, so it is on the power side. I did pull a isolated 120 volt circuit to the phone system and replaced power supplies. I'm thinking the issue lays between the punch down block and the speakers. But what????????????????????????? No motors, wires are high and tight. No nicks.

Think I am going to try what Bill suggested and ground all the unused pairs of the cat 5.

Jason
#483329 05/16/12 05:50 AM
RIP Moderator-Mitel, Panasonic
RIP Moderator-Mitel, Panasonic
Remember that since all the drop ceiling speakers are (apparently) in a separate zone from the horns, you are running two of the 3 zones. ANYTHING that gets on the speech pair from any speaker is going to ALL the speakers, but not to the horns. Also, it would seem that you still have 1 unused zone in the
2003. Move the speakers to it and see what happens.

When I was young, I was Liberal. As I aged and wised up, I became Conservative. Now that I'm old, I have settled on Curmudgeon.
#483330 05/16/12 09:52 AM
OP Offline
We are using all 3 zones. The controller was replaced already so I think its safe to say not a controller issue. Zone 1 Bull horns, Zone 2 upstairs offices, Zone 3 lower offices.

Jason
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  metelcom 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums84
Topics94,262
Posts638,693
Members49,757
Most Online5,661
May 23rd, 2018
Popular Topics(Views)
211,097 Shoretel
187,703 CTX100 install
186,792 1a2 system
Newest Members
BPopilek, Rich F, LewisR, TDKs79, Buttinset
49,757 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
dexman 18
Toner 14
TDKs79 8
pvj 4
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 89 guests, and 251 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Contact Us | Sponsored by Atcom: One of the best VoIP Phone Canada Suppliers for your business telephone system!| Terms of Service

Sundance Communications is not affiliated with any of the above manufacturers. Sundance Phone System Forums - VOIP & Cloud Phone Help
©Copyright Sundance Communications 1998-2024