Business Phone Systems

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
mope Offline OP
OP Offline
Have a working 1a2 system and have recently noticed my cards say "Brand Rex LC-400E Music on hold"

I really want to get the moh feature working. Where the heck do i connect my music source? I installed this system so I have a little knowledge about it. I am by no means a pro like some of you though. The only info I found on my ksu was "55IC*KSU" I currently use 3 lines, The ksu has 4 cards in it only 3 of them are the Brand Rex Music ones.

Any info or help would be great.

Thanks

Mope

Atcom VoIP Phones
VoIP Demo

Best VoIP Phones Canada

Visit Atcom to get started with your new business VoIP phone system ASAP
Turn up is quick, painless, and can often be done same day.
Let us show you how to do VoIP right, resulting in crystal clear call quality and easy-to-use features that make everyone happy!
Proudly serving Canada from coast to coast.

Moderator-Vertical, Vodavi, 1A2, Outside Wire
With the LC400E, only one line card in the system can have music on hold. If you connect the same music source to more than one card, callers will be able to talk to each other while on hold, something I am sure that you DON'T want. In order to isolate them, you'll need an ITT K403 MOH card in a separate mounting, which is all but impossible to locate anymore.

If you only need MOH on one card, you'll need to connect the music source to pins 3 and 18 of the card slot itself. This means that you'll need to unwrap the existing wires on the pins, then insulate and store them. Connect your music source to these same pins and you'll be all set. Be sure to keep the volume low at first because if it's set too high, you will blow out the input transformer on the LC400E card.

Ed Vaughn, MBSWWYPBX
Ed , wow that's good.

I can't remember but at one time about 12+ years ago a company came out with a 400 type card that had volume control for music on the front of the card. It also had speed dial chip and exclusion privacy...

What the heck was it's name? They advertised in the gear along time ago.

mope Offline OP
OP Offline
Would I be able to wire 3 audio sources (one to each card) and avoid customers talking to each other on hold? A few cheap fm radios wouldnt bother me.

Could you go into a little more detail on the pin 3 and 18? Should I wire into the back of the slot? or if i wanted it to look like crap can I just stuff the wire in the proper position in the slot when I put the card in?

Love the help thanks guys!

Absoulutely! That would be the easiest (and certainly cheapest) way to go. Just be careful with the wires coming from pins 3 and 18. Make sure that they are insulated and stored away and you will be just fine.

With the 551C, you can take the black plastic back cover off and gain full access to the wire wrap pins of all card slots. You can route the MOH cables up into the backplane area by snipping a small notch in the gray plastic housing and nobody will see a thing.

Please don't try to mash wires into the actual slot pins. If you do, you will run the risk of introducing 24 volts DC into your radio's output. Doing so will surely fry it. Earlier 551 units had all four slots wired with 24VDC on pins 3/18 of every slot, but on the "C" units, only slot four had this. Better to play it safe.

Ed Vaughn, MBSWWYPBX
As Ed said, pins 3 and 18 would be on the back door of the 551 shoebox. The wire wrap. Pin 3 would be a A- lead but then you have to watch out for commons to get to pin 18. Remember that the first card is common in the KTU and to the set.

I could email you a diagram but still it might be trial or error. It doesn't' always work bases on the model and type.

It's a screwball approach for music on hold with a 551. though it can be done with persistence.

mope Offline OP
OP Offline
thanks for the advice guys, i will pull my box off the wall this weekend and give it a try...if i get time.
I'm sort of suprised that they marked these cards as "music on hold" when it takes a bit of modification to use it.

thanks
mope

San/Bar made a MOH line card that did not require any external hardware. Their cards had built-in isolation transformers. Those are pretty rare these days though.

Ed Vaughn, MBSWWYPBX
Ed, for this person to make the music on hold work he will have to start by skipping the conventional wiring after the first line.

Remember, We used to skip pairs after the 5th line to wire a up a 10 button?

He has to take this same approach and Have some type of audible isolation for each line that was part of the hold ctkt.

Some type of choke variable resistor Ic latch would be needed.

One could play around with some voltage Ic relays that Mike sandman sells. I have used them and they work.

It's like an old Lionel train set as a hobby. I should have known that 1a2 would have come to this.

Couldn't he use some kind of isolation transformer for the music input? We frequently have to change mic level to line level signals or vice-versa...

Jeff Moss

Moss Communications
Computer Repair-Networking-Cabling
MBSWWYPBX, JGAE
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  ChrisRR, EV607797, Silversam 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums84
Topics94,283
Posts638,765
Members49,764
Most Online5,661
May 23rd, 2018
Popular Topics(Views)
211,446 Shoretel
188,302 CTX100 install
187,081 1a2 system
Newest Members
Nadisale, andreww, gohunt, Darrick, telecopippo
49,764 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
Toner 23
teleco 7
dexman 4
jc2it 4
dans 3
Who's Online Now
1 members (dans), 183 guests, and 143 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Contact Us | Sponsored by Atcom: One of the best VoIP Phone Canada Suppliers for your business telephone system!| Terms of Service

Sundance Communications is not affiliated with any of the above manufacturers. Sundance Phone System Forums - VOIP & Cloud Phone Help
©Copyright Sundance Communications 1998-2024