web statisticsweb stats

Business Phone Systems

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
OP Offline
Thanks, it sounds too easy. I'll put the order in on ebay and hopefully try it out by the end of the week. I can buy a cloth cord later from the sandman website if I want to make it more "authentic".

Atcom VoIP Phones
VoIP Demo

Best VoIP Phones Canada

Visit Atcom to get started with your new business VoIP phone system ASAP
Turn up is quick, painless, and can often be done same day.
Let us show you how to do VoIP right, resulting in crystal clear call quality and easy-to-use features that make everyone happy!
Proudly serving Canada from coast to coast.

welcome to the forum!

The cord you have is actually the original cord, made by Western Electric and fitted to the phone by the Bell System installer who installed it. Your phone would not have been installed with a cloth cord.

At the wall end, the cord most likely attached to a small plastic block [about 2" square] known as a 42A block. These can still be found [ask your local phone guy to look in his junk box], and if you can scare one up, it would actually be a quick and easy way to get hooked up.

There is also a series of jacks, also made by WE, that take a "4-Prong" plug. Depending on how old you are, you may remember them as they were still very common 20 years ago. They are also still around, and are a viable option.

Sorry if we sound anal about authenticity [we kind of are]. The flat modular cords just look bogus coming out of a 500 set. smile

Jim
Speaking from a secure undisclosed location.

Moderator-Vodavi, Vertical, XBlue
The flat modular cords just look bogus coming out of a 500 set.
And using a knock out tool to cut the cases to retrofit them for full modular cords is something I wish I could go back and undo.

- Dave S. -

You can never appease your ideologue opponents.

Moderator-Avaya-Lucent, Antique Tele
Moderator-Avaya-Lucent, Antique Tele
When you hook up your new modular cord, you'll need to take that black wire on the terminal with the yellow line cord wire (it's going to the ringer), and move it to the terminal that the green line cord wire goes to.

Originally posted by MooreTel:
Arthur, changing the cord [b]OR installing that piece of crapola on the end of the cord will still devalue the phone. [/b]
dave, i think i know what you mean, mod to spades, no need to modify the phone, here in the great white north, dave can vouch, we never had modular 500's, they just had silver spade to modular cords put on them

Jay, a recovering IT guy
Moderator-Nortel, Computers, General
Moderator-Nortel, Computers, General
Sorry, Jay, you're wrong. Sherbrooke & Guelph, Ontario were traditionally the test locations for anything new for Bell.

When Bell was testing the "Modular" change, installers were transferred in from all over to blanket each city. Went over well in Sherbrooke, not so well in Ontario. Jacks were installed and cords were changed.

Once the test was complete Bell introduced the "QSQM" designation to phones with a modular cord. For example, a traditional 500 set was "D-500-(colour code)" while the modular equivalent was QSQM 500-(Colour code)".

My point was that the true value for the OP's set would be diminished with whatever conversion made to it.

Scientists say that the universe is made up of Protons, Neutron & Electrons. They forgot "Morons".
Dave. (CTUB) Canadian Techs Use Bix!
i meant dave, they were "modular" in the sense they plugged into jacks, but the phones were never full modular like the ones south of the border, the user couldnt change the line or the reciever cord himself. i was a bit un clear.

as for the OP's phone, ive gotten a few like that in my collection, luckily they werent cut off, so i put one of those old 4 pin plugs on it, available at radio shack to this day. i was lucky enough to find sets that still had that little grommet on the end of the wire.

Jay, a recovering IT guy
Jeffery C,

Looking at your 500 set again, you might want to give it a little polishing to make it shine! I like to use "Magnolia Glayzit Telephone Refinisher" but perhaps "Armour all" would suffice.

Arthur, your thoughts on this?

- Dave S. -

You can never appease your ideologue opponents.

OP Offline
Thanks for all the help guys. I swapped out the original cord with a spade to modular connection. I also had to move the black wire from G to L1 to make it ring. I can hold on to the original cord if I want to get more adventurous later, but I really don't have the time or tools to repair the old cord. I know it doesn't have a fully antique feel, but I have a functioning, and apparently indestructible telephone that is worth the $30 I now have invested in the project. More importantly, my wife loves the rotary dial and the way it rings. This was fun.

I'll check my supply and find you a 3-conductor black cord. It may take a while, because I'm lazy.

Arthur P. Bloom
"30 years of faithful service...15 years on hold"

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  Touch Tone Tommy 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums84
Topics94,287
Posts638,784
Members49,767
Most Online5,661
May 23rd, 2018
Popular Topics(Views)
211,903 Shoretel
188,981 CTX100 install
187,206 1a2 system
Newest Members
A2A Networks, James D., Nadisale, andreww, gohunt
49,766 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
Toner 22
teleco 5
dexman 4
dans 3
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 105 guests, and 174 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Contact Us | Sponsored by Atcom: One of the best VoIP Phone Canada Suppliers for your business telephone system!| Terms of Service

Sundance Communications is not affiliated with any of the above manufacturers. Sundance Phone System Forums - VOIP & Cloud Phone Help
©Copyright Sundance Communications 1998-2024