web statisticsweb stats Business Phone Systems Tech Talk Forum - VOIP & Cloud Phone Help

Business Phone Systems

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
#527435 04/22/11 05:30 AM
Moderator-Vertical, Vodavi
OP Offline
Moderator-Vertical, Vodavi
As we know, some Vertical employees check this site to see what their dealers are thinking. Feel free to use this thread to post suggestions for improvements to Vertical products.

Please keep posts limited to productive suggestions.

Please DO NOT respond to other posters. If you need to respond, please start another thread.

Atcom VoIP Phones
VoIP Demo

Best VoIP Phones Canada

Visit Atcom to get started with your new business VoIP phone system ASAP
Turn up is quick, painless, and can often be done same day.
Let us show you how to do VoIP right, resulting in crystal clear call quality and easy-to-use features that make everyone happy!
Proudly serving Canada from coast to coast.

Retired Moderator
Retired Moderator
1. Backlight support for the Edge Phones for the MBX.
2. Temp greeting support both mailboxes and system greetings for the MBX
3. A line cord wired for pins 3&6 on one end to 4&5 on the other for SBX phones. This cord would come in the box along with the standard cord.
4. Individual CO ring tones for both the MBX and SBX.

www.myrandomviews
"Old phone guys never die, they just get locked in some closet with an old phone system and forgotten about"

Retired, taking photographs and hoping to fly one of my many kites.
Moderator-Avaya, Nortel
Moderator-Avaya, Nortel
Would like to add..

I second everything Derrick said..and...

The ability to record greetings from stations othter than attendant/port 1.

I would really be a great selling point to have backlights on the SBX IP series. Maybe on the next gen of SBX IP phones?

When you hit a persons mailbox, the ability to zero out or try another extension

the ability to check your voice mail box from another phone on the system

The ability to disable camp on and just have the phone ring on a second call.

Soft keys and visual display of voice mail similar to SBX

remote access on a port other than 80.

These aren't really improvements, but wants....

I would like to see both modular and amphenol connections available.

I would really like to see the CPU card go from 6 digital/6 SLI to 6/4/2, with the 2 being two trunk ports.

Z-man
Avaya SME Authorized Partner
www.omniofficetech.com
Moderator-Vodavi, Vertical, XBlue
A line cord wired for pins 3&6 on one end to 4&5 on the other for SBX phones
This would also be quite useful in reverse when testing SBX digital phones on the 2nd digital port (1st pair) on the new EKSU or new 3x16 station board. I currently fabricate my own.

- Dave S. -

You can never appease your ideologue opponents.

Ok I will have a shot at it. On the Wave system

Never release a version early. Always alwasy make sure it is ready. Better to delay then deal with the mess.

1. Handsfree answer on intercom without needing a voice call button

2. Direct lines on buttons to enable squared (key system) installs without having to jump thru so many hoops and then still not quite work with viewpoint

3. SOHVA like on the original Comdial FX and DSU II etc

4. Simplifiy the software patch system so it is easy to know where you are and what level patches are needed. The software updates on V connect should be in date order. As they are added. Also should be broken down by version. ie. 1.5 sp 2 etc. Group together.

5. Bring back the TUP program

As far as the SBX and MBX all the comments by everybody else I second.

Jim

Jim Hoey

SST Communications
597 West Montauk Highway
Lindenhurst, New York 11757

631 956-0100

www.sstcom.com

Business telephone systems on Long Island and New York City like Comdial, Vertical, Avaya, Panasonic
Admin
Admin
#4 of what ComdialJim said X10.

[Linked Image]
Retired Moderator
Retired Moderator
Okay guys this thread is being monitored by Vertical. I thought you should know they are paying attention.

www.myrandomviews
"Old phone guys never die, they just get locked in some closet with an old phone system and forgotten about"

Moderator-Vertical, Vodavi, 1A2, Outside Wire
Moderator-Vertical, Vodavi, 1A2, Outside Wire
I'm glad that someone is monitoring this thread. Dealers are the most valuable form of input, good, bad or indifferent. How else can we convey our feelings about a product line that we are expected to represent unless our feelings are conveyed directly 'from the horses' mouth'?

Vodavi and Comdial products have maintained a rock-solid reputation in the industry for decades. It is important that Vertical knows that we want to continue this reputation.

Ed Vaughn, MBSWWYPBX
Moderator-Avaya, Nortel
Moderator-Avaya, Nortel
I have gotten good support and feedback from Vertical so far. Their inside sales team communicates pretty well. I am starting to understand that some of the things we take for granted here, they don't do in Europe. So they are making a system that is used globally, so the migration is going to take a bit.

Z-man
www.omniofficetech.com
Retired Moderator
Retired Moderator
Exactly. The Aria (which looks like the XTS) software would feel strange to us as well.

www.myrandomviews

All of the above forementioned, plus... I

Would like ring over paging to be a standard application like the STS.

Would like the "call back" button to be labeled voice mail, or allow a vm programmable button.

Would rather the analog and digital pinout be reversed. I don't like the idea of using a "special cord" or having to rewire all the jacks.

Would like the option of an 8 port vm.

Would like a 4x8x2 base configuration.

Would like the 30 button XTS sets to work with the SBX.

Would like the STS to come back or change the programming method of the SBX to reflect the STS. ( I know this won't happen, but as long as we're making wishes... )

"I thought I was wrong once, but I was mistaken"
Moderator-Avaya, Nortel
Moderator-Avaya, Nortel
When posting in this thread, lets start making our suggestions with an equipment heading so they can differenciate the equipment, and also, when someone asks for something that might already exist, they can get help.

Z-man
www.omniofficetech.com
Ted Offline
MBX: How about Station relocation. As I understand it, the only way to have continuous station numbering for digital phones is to remove via flexible number programming stations 106 thru 111 and then insert the next digital station 112 etc.

STS/XTS: updating the documentation. I don't believe they have updated the new software documentation since 2008. Granted the STS is history but it will still be supported for 7 yrs. It would sure take a lot calls out of tech support queue.

Moderator-Avaya, Nortel
Moderator-Avaya, Nortel
I would say they need to extend their tech support hours a bit. Lots of installs and cutovers happen after hours. It would be nice to know we can get ahold of someone during those times if needed.

Z-man
www.omniofficetech.com
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
Indeed Z-man I had a cut this weekend due to a defaulted out Executone IDS and my sales rep is on vacation. I tried Vertical Friday morning but all I would get is a fast busy when I called. I still have tons of questions since this is my first MBX.

Moderator-Avaya, Nortel
Moderator-Avaya, Nortel
On both the MBX and SBX systems, you record the voice mail user name seperately from the mailbox. They should just make all recording functions right from the mailbox instead of a different code. This would uncomplicate some things for sure.

Z-man
www.omniofficetech.com
Moderator-Avaya, Nortel
Moderator-Avaya, Nortel
If they ever consider a chasis redesign for the MBX, I hope they design the amphenols to come out the side or the back, or design a front cover to conceal the cables.

Z-man
www.omniofficetech.com
Retired Moderator
Retired Moderator
Sension the makers of Disco CA and Invocall..they tell me that none of their software (and I am still using it a lot) is compatible with the SMDR output of the MBX. I hope that this can be addressed. I was hoping to add an MBX to an existing XTS voip network but I need to add another CA pbx and supervisor seat. I can't do that with the MBX as it now stands.

www.myrandomviews

Moderator-Avaya, Nortel
Moderator-Avaya, Nortel
On both the MBX and SBX, we need a way to simply let a user leave a voice mail for another user, especially from a phone that doesn't have a voice mail box. Also the ability to retreive your messages from any phone.

Z-man
www.omniofficetech.com
Retired Moderator
Retired Moderator
Why not just port the Vodavi software over to the MBX? Charge extra if you want for those who don't want to use the LG software.

www.myrandomviews

Moderator-Avaya, Nortel
Moderator-Avaya, Nortel
MBX. Ability to disable exclusive hold.

Z-man
www.omniofficetech.com
Possibly add a couple of more tech support technicians or train an old Vodavi or Comdial tech up on the SBX system. Lately it seems the hold times are getting longer and longer.

Lately it seems the hold times are getting longer and longer.
I"d like to report that just yesterday, I was surprised by being answered in just seconds. I didn't even have time to get my coffee! But losing Dave Foster there was certainly hard for them (and us).

- Dave S. -

To add to my report of on-hold times, I needed to contact tech support again on the 21st and today, the 22nd. My hold time on the 21st was again less than a minute but today it was about 3 minutes. I have been impressed to say the least!

- Dave S. -

Retired Moderator
Retired Moderator
All the techs at Vertical have been helpful to me the last couple of days. I spend more time on hold after they answer my call while they are discussing my question or problem than I do on hold waiting to get answered. They have been pretty patient with me as I work out my learning curve with SBX 3.5 (which is different from 3.0) networking options and setup.

www.myrandomviews

18 minutes on hold today for sts tech support. My luck is obviously not as good as everybody else.

The SBX needs to go above 12 lines. It needs to reflect the STS as much as possible since it is the system that has replaced it. 24 lines, 48 stations, 8 port vm. I have a customer who has 16 lines and 38 telephones. If they wanted a new system tomorrow, my only choice is what?... The MBX? I don't know enough about the sytstem to make a judgement, but I would think I would be over-priced vs my competition.

Does the SBX offer a full duplex telephone? If not, there should be, or continue making the 30 button 3017-71's and have the SBX work with them.

Moderator-Avaya, Nortel
Moderator-Avaya, Nortel
The SBX does take a PRI...

Z-man
www.omniofficetech.com
Retired Moderator
Retired Moderator
There are no full duplex speaker phones. They were not a big seller. I never installed any. What I want is the backlight to work.

Yes the the SBX does take a PRI, but my install is, how should I put this, not working like I want it too. For some reason, not known to me or to tech service, the PRI looks like it is all working but the first 6 circuits do not work for outbound even though they are programmed exactly like all the rest! I reconfigured the logical assignment as I was instructed to do, but that really set the system on its head. I lost the use of my voip channes even though they were also programmed correctly. I had to restore the config back to the state it was originally in.

By the way. The SBX is a 36 line system....I think.

www.myrandomviews

I'm the exact opposite Derrick. I have sold many full duplex telephones but only a few back-lit ones. As far as lines go, 36 may be right with a PRI + copper, but copper alone is only 12 lines, and that isn't sufficient. BTW, you are making me very nervous about PRI's on the SBX.

One of my issues is that I have, for the last several years, sold the STSe "gold" version and have a lot of customers with STS systems, but use the 30, 12 , and 24 button telephones. My point is that if the SBX is replacing a line of equipment, it should reflect, as close as possible, the system it is replacing. If they made the 24 button sts phones compatible, they should be able to make the 30 button's compatible as well. There are a lot of things I like about the SBX, but there is much left to be desired.

Moderator-Avaya, Nortel
Moderator-Avaya, Nortel
Lets start a new thread on this in the Vertical category in regards to line size.

Z-man
www.omniofficetech.com
In the MBX, I'd like to see:
1. Station side SIP supported
2. When extension A is forwarded to ext. B, the caller end up in station A's mailbox.
3. Better (and clearer) documentation.

In the SBX, I'd just like to make money selling it. And I am afraid of feeling the same pain with the MBX.

CCR options..Busy/no response/etc. Transfer directly to a mailbox. Same for overflow in Station groups.

Call logs for Hunt groups. very Handy

VM admin & system admin from more then just the Attendant phone. also admin from a softphone/ip phone. Makes remote admin easier.

Proper passwords for ftp. The existing one is a security problem.

Softphone. NETDSS on a key doesn't help, it should say the extension number. I've not tried the separate pc running the blf manager, but it sounds a bit clumsy, and requires a pc.

Names, It would be nice to have the same setup as a cell phone. Press 2 three times for c, instead of pressing 2, then press 3 for the third digit.

Get rid of the blinking light on CFNA and DND. Way too distracting. same on Flex keys. The display already says it's forwarded!

Speed dial access. Who is going to search the speed dial for an internal extension? External dial by name is option 3, you can't even see it when you dial by name. It should be option 1.

Bluetooth.

PGM 227 authorization. Allow duplicates in remote PC admin.

smtp vm settings. programmable port settings. Many ISPs now restrict port 25.

sip port 5060 not adjustable.It looks like it is but doen't work in PC admin. I don't know about doing it on a keyset.

Flex key access to remote mailboxes on networked systems. also a msg light on the key.

Get rid of the high pitched beep on certain functions and when accessing admin etc. maybe a lower pitched beep?

When programming a speed dial, if your first digit is a star (*) key, it turns on display security? Maybe some other digit or nothing? Right now you have to press pause or D-tone to just have a star at the front of the dialing string. We use it for provider voicemail access (*98), co call forward cancel *73 etc.

Cheaper network license costs and voib cards. The costs currently limits sales.

easyset-needs a redesign. so does Nomad.

PC attendant? LG LDK has one.

iphone/android/smartphone softphone app?

I'll leave it at that. If all the ideas on this posting were applied to this system can you imagine how many more sales it would generate?

When I say posting I mean the entire page, not just my stuff.

Every suggestion on this page comes from an end user or a tech who sees potential by adding the feature. Yes, it costs money to implement, but the extra sales should more then offset the costs.

SBX should go to 15-16 CO ports, but I think the architecture limits it. maybe a high density CO card, say, 6 ports. They did it with stations, why not CO's

SBX - better ring sounds!
SBX - breakout cables need to be wired different so your extension numbers dont bounce around on the blocks, or change the port numbering on the cards(which I doubt they do)
SBX - dump the Windows based program and go to a Web based programming tool!

us linux guys need some love too!
I second the Android/Iphone app idea too, what a selling point that would be, to be able to do some phone functions i.e. forward your deskphone to your cell phone from your cell phone out in public somewhere, then make a call from your cellphone's data plan connected to the office so no one knows your not in the office!

Retired Moderator
Retired Moderator
Improve the documentation, especially the programming and operations guide for the SBX and MBX.

www.myrandomviews

Improve the documentation, especially the programming and operations guide for the SBX and MBX.
aok

- Dave S. -

Type ahead on the voice mail. I hate waiting for the associated prompt to end before I can enter a digit.

- Dave S. -

WAVE:
1. If you add a SIP phone and you goto the features (buttons), if they list the option as a button, it should work.. System park/ Directed Park... They will park but not retrieve without an additional button programmed for autodial and the *65 or *63 code... Waste of more buttons.

The Tech of Southwest Michigan
Stevensville, MI

How do I get the blue smoke back into the system??
Admin
Admin
Originally posted by Vgallagher:
WAVE:
1. If you add a SIP phone and you goto the features (buttons), if they list the option as a button, it should work.. System park/ Directed Park... They will park but not retrieve without an additional button programmed for autodial and the *65 or *63 code... Waste of more buttons.
clap clap clap clap clap
Exactly! You have no idea how big an issue this is for some customers.

[Linked Image]
Moderator-ESI - Executone
Moderator-ESI - Executone
SBX We Need a " On Demand " Key.

I can see the light at the end of the tunnel..

Retirement 2019 ( It has happened )
What is an ON Demand key?

Jim Hoey

SST Communications
597 West Montauk Highway

631 956-0100

www.sstcom.com

Business telephone systems on Long Island and New York City like Comdial, Vertical, Avaya, Panasonic
Admin
Admin
He is talking about a programable single key for each mode of ring service similar to the old night service key we used to have instead of DND + code.

[Linked Image]
Multiple user access profiles in the wave500/2500

The SBX Nav button only shows 2 choices + OK. Why not put a down arrow on the 3rd line along with OK when more choices are available?

- Dave S. -

STATION LOCK! Yes I mean to shout! Is Vertical listening?

Why isn't Station Lock on the SBX yet? A customer with 20 DSS units (don't ask why) required an emergency service visit 60 miles away because the entire system locked up.

This customer thought they had a bad phone and simply swapped a Phone/DSS combo for the evening shift. Never mind that all the line cords and jacks are labeled phone and DSS. They mixed up the cords and when the units defaulted they began swapping more phones and crossing more cords.

Eventually, everything locked up with every phone in Scout mode and the database was completely defaulted. All the dip switches were in "save" mode but I had to reinitialize and load a backup database. 4 hours were shot with windshield time and site time.

Please make this SBX idiot proof! This has all occurred under the warranty that I gave them. How do I call this user error and not a design oversight? XTS and Triad with Station Lock on would have prevented this.

Please, please, Vertical, address this oversight!

- Dave S. -

Dave I am from the Comdial side of the house. Can you tell me what station lock is?

Jim Hoey

SST Communications
597 West Montauk Highway

631 956-0100

www.sstcom.com

Retired Moderator
Retired Moderator
It locks the extension to the type of phone that was connected to it before the lock was turned on. Station lock keeps the customer from swapping different types of phones....ie an 8 Button Uni phone with a 30 button phone which would screw up the button programming for both sets. I would love to go one better and have a button lock feature as well.

www.myrandomviews

I have been told by former Vertical employee that Vertical does not plan to promote the MBX / SBX product anymore. They are moving hard towards the Wave and we should not expect any improvement in the SBX product. The SBX is the worst product we have ever installed. Tech support for the SBX has become nothing more than smoke and mirrors. My suggestion is to either fix the problems or fix the support department.

MNBob
Retired Moderator
Retired Moderator
Well based on what I have heard about the dealer meet, new feature packages including the one announced over a year ago for the SBX are supposed to come out soon. Let's hope so.

www.myrandomviews

We have felt that way for a long time. We are a long time Vodavi dealer, and we have finally given up on Vertical.

Originally Posted by bcstechs
We have felt that way for a long time. We are a long time Vodavi dealer, and we have finally given up on Vertical.

Pretty much the same story here... just one reason after another to go elsewhere.

"There is one thing and only one thing in which it is granted to you to be free in life, all else being beyond your power: that is to recognize and profess the truth." - Leo Tolstoy
Retired Moderator
Retired Moderator
I add this because of the last post.

I am retired now and don't have much skin in the phone game any longer so my opinion should be considered unbiased.

Vertical has a real winner with the new configuration of both the Summit 80 and the Summit 800 (yes it does look like the MBX....but its what drives it that counts) and so any former Vodavi dealer would be doing themselves a huge disservice by not taking a very close look at this product. I recently worked with the people who bought my compnay. They asked me to help with an emergency install of a Summit 80 to replace an XTS that one of my oldest former customers a Private School had. It had a power supply failure after a power surge and just a couple of months before that the MPB card had to be replaced...so they figured it was time to change.

They really like the Summit phones and the way the system operates. It the words of the operator...both the staff and the parents of the students love it...the voice mails move faster, the parents have fewer troubles dialing thru the system...it is a great improvement.

Vertical finally did it....came out with a system superior to the XTS both for the user and for the installer.

Derrick.

Last edited by Derrick; 01/01/16 09:25 PM.

www.myrandomviews

Hi Derrick,
Coming from you that really means something. I will give it a shot. Thanks

Jim Hoey

SST Communications
597 West Montauk Highway

631 956-0100

www.sstcom.com

Retired Moderator
Retired Moderator
Good for you! If you need help or have questions PM anytime!

www.myrandomviews

Administrator
Administrator
Unpin this thread do to the fact it has no action in more than 5 years

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  EV607797, MnDave, nfcphoneman 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums84
Topics94,279
Posts638,738
Members49,763
Most Online5,661
May 23rd, 2018
Popular Topics(Views)
211,284 Shoretel
188,170 CTX100 install
187,018 1a2 system
Newest Members
gohunt, Darrick, telecopippo, highlysecptial, BPopilek
49,762 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
Toner 14
teleco 4
jc2it 4
dexman 4
Who's Online Now
1 members (OBT), 80 guests, and 67 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Contact Us | Sponsored by Atcom: One of the best VoIP Phone Canada Suppliers for your business telephone system!| Terms of Service

Sundance Communications is not affiliated with any of the above manufacturers. Sundance Phone System Forums - VOIP & Cloud Phone Help
©Copyright Sundance Communications 1998-2024