web statisticsweb stats Business Phone Systems Tech Talk Forum - VOIP & Cloud Phone Help

Business Phone Systems

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
OP Offline
Hi everyone,
I just bought a 6x and went to set the system up.
I plugged a laptop right into the LAN port and released and renewed the IP.
At first I thought it was strange, but the ip was showing as 192.168.0.2.
I tried to ping the allworx unit at both 192.168.2.254 and 192.168.0.254 - no luck.
Also was unable to login to the web based management.
I started the unit in safe mode and released the ip again.
This time, everything booted up as 192.168.2.254 - no problems pinging the allworx server.
Login to the safe mode works and I have access to the console.
At this point I tried resetting the allworx back to default and rebooting the machine.
It still reboots back to the wrong ip and I cannot access the console.
One other thing - in safe mode the dhcp server starts at 192.168.2.1 - not the 192.168.0.2 when in normal mode.
Anyone seen this before?
Anyone with any ideas?

Thanks
Chad

Last edited by voodoo_ca; 09/09/12 05:38 PM.
Atcom VoIP Phones
VoIP Demo

Best VoIP Phones Canada

Visit Atcom to get started with your new business VoIP phone system ASAP
Turn up is quick, painless, and can often be done same day.
Let us show you how to do VoIP right, resulting in crystal clear call quality and easy-to-use features that make everyone happy!
Proudly serving Canada from coast to coast.

Moderator-Allworx, Nisuko-Tie, Vodavi
Who did you buy this 6x from?? I'd be calling them ASAP.

Odd things happen when the PS for the 6X is bad and also when the SD Flash card is bad.

What "console" are you talking about??

OP Offline
I am just talking about the setup screen (console) through a web browser.
Bought the unit online - been talking with the guy I bought it from - he said it was working.

In transit, the CMOS battery inside came loose - I reinstalled it - wondering if that caused an issue.

Thinking about trying a firmware update to see if that helps.

Sounds like this is new for you racedog?

Chad

Yep. That's the reason I don't buy Allworx products from the internet, e-bay etc. I have four techs (including myself) that have gone through the week-long certification training and for about 6 years now, we get support from Allworx or our equipment vendor. It makes things a lot easier. Rather than spending inordinate amount of time on troubleshooting an "off the wall" problem, we know that we can immediately get an answer from our tech support or get a new replacement shipped right away. The support we get is excellent. It's really a comfort to be able to talk to someone who knows the system backwards and forwards. Sometimes, they use TurboMeeting and we just watch while they do the programming & tweaking. They use the same language and terms as we do, and everything, so far, has worked out quite well.

The other day we bought a new IP camera and fired it up. It came up for awhile, but seemed to develop little "quirks". I called our vendor and quickly got a replacement camera---plugged it in and "voila" everything works great. If I had bought the camera from the internet (someone I didn't know) or from e-bay----I would have spent weeks of troubleshooting thinking that it was something that I had done wrong.

It's a business/purchasing plan that we adhere very closely to. If we're talking about a "core" product, that requires specialized programming & set-up---I get certified on the product and purchase from vendors who can provide support. If its a non-essential peripheral---then I can use some other sources and look at price as a gauge.

What software is the Allworx?? I'll get a hold of one of my techs to see if he can shed some light on your problem. I've never run into something like this, (never had a CMOS battery pop out) but maybe he has. I wouldn't think that it would make a difference---but maybe so.

OP Offline
Just an update on this entire topic.
After rebooting the system a bunch of times, I was finally able to have the login function normally and I was able to work on the normal IP for the system.
Dont ask me why the initial few times things were not right - somehow that worked itself out.
I have been using the system for 5 days now with no problems.

As an aside the system seems to be limited to 7 digit dialing - and I have yet to determine how to change that. We are in a unique area here where they recently implimented a manditory area code dialing. So it doesnt matter if the call is local or long distance, you must dial our area code. You can tell the system thinks everything is 7 digit because if you do not dial 1 before the call, everything is stopped on the display after the 7th digit of your call.

This also seems to mess with using the TAPI dialer from programs like Outlook.

So far its a nice system - much nicer than our previous Toshiba setup that was getting dated and I had ZERO control over. At least this is all web based, and something that I am familiar with.

Thanks for all the help.
Chad

Make sure your NANPA is enabled. Check your External Dialing Rules. These are all in the Dial Plan section. Seems as though you are dealing with some residual programming from a used system.

Your area is not unique. We have used 1 plus numbering for over five years, now. However, some CLECs may still have 7 digit dialing for local---but I haven't run into any for quite some time.

OP Offline
I was looking at that section - NANPA is enabled
At first I left the "home" area code section blank.
Then I added my (519) area code as home, and made note that the area code needed to be dialed - For some reason I am not seeing this on the system. Faily sure I tried a reboot too.

I did notice that one of the phones was fine doing this, while the others seem to not work. Perhaps a residual programming thing like you are talking about.

I didnt think there were any settings on the phones themselves in relation to this aspect.

Another small question - When you are talking on the phone and an incoming call comes in, your phone will still ring out loud. Most people find this distracting - is there somewhere to change this? If someone is on the phone, do not let their extension ring?

Thanks
Chad

Another small question - When you are talking on the phone and an incoming call comes in, your phone will still ring out loud. Most people find this distracting - is there somewhere to change this? If someone is on the phone, do not let their extension ring?

You need to work a bit with the User Guide for the model of phones that you have. What you're looking for is in the phone programming---"Config" then "Preferences" then disable the "Off Hook Ringing".

Last edited by JWRacedog; 10/02/12 11:00 AM.
OP Offline
Great - Thanks agian.
found that one!

I found a bit of an anomoly - 2 of the 10 phones that I have are fine with 10 digit dialing.
I have been trying to call from Outlook and numbers get cut off after 7 digits. The other day during a simple "training" session for people in my office, I grabbed a random phone to show everyone things on. Turns out that one phone I grabbed doesnt have issues with 10 digit local calling. As a test, I swapped the headset with another phone and now the numbers arent cut off when you dial from Outlook. Its strange why that would apply to some phones and not others - especially if that is in the "dial plan" section of the setup.

plugging away!

Thanks
Chad

RIP Moderator-Mitel, Panasonic
RIP Moderator-Mitel, Panasonic
THE HEADSET FIXED THAT ?!

When I was young, I was Liberal. As I aged and wised up, I became Conservative. Now that I'm old, I have settled on Curmudgeon.

Moderated by  JWRacedog 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums84
Topics94,262
Posts638,695
Members49,757
Most Online5,661
May 23rd, 2018
Popular Topics(Views)
211,098 Shoretel
187,707 CTX100 install
186,794 1a2 system
Newest Members
BPopilek, Rich F, LewisR, TDKs79, Buttinset
49,757 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
dexman 18
Toner 14
TDKs79 8
pvj 4
Who's Online Now
3 members (Toner, curtonpond, Curlycord), 77 guests, and 245 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Contact Us | Sponsored by Atcom: One of the best VoIP Phone Canada Suppliers for your business telephone system!| Terms of Service

Sundance Communications is not affiliated with any of the above manufacturers. Sundance Phone System Forums - VOIP & Cloud Phone Help
©Copyright Sundance Communications 1998-2024