web statisticsweb stats Business Phone Systems Tech Talk Forum - VOIP & Cloud Phone Help

Business Phone Systems

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
OP Offline
After talking with the head-honchos here, it seems as if "number only" just won't do. So, I'll have to find that PAL chip. I've seen the T-1/E-1 with PAL on ebay for about $480. But, I'd rather not play games with Ebay. Anyone know of a decent supplier that won't rape me?

Please also tell me frankly if I should hire a phone tech to install and configure the PAL. I have an Administrator's guide and no other Inter-tel books.

"You can't have the PAL chip installed on a T-1 card and have that card be anything but an ISDN card, and the card will read 'T1 Primary Rate Interface Card' if it is ISDN" - so when I make it ISDN will we lose any programming? I'm not sure what you're warning me of here.

Atcom VoIP Phones
VoIP Demo

Best VoIP Phones Canada

Visit Atcom to get started with your new business VoIP phone system ASAP
Turn up is quick, painless, and can often be done same day.
Let us show you how to do VoIP right, resulting in crystal clear call quality and easy-to-use features that make everyone happy!
Proudly serving Canada from coast to coast.

Well, if Ebay doesn't work for you, then either you are buying used from someone you trust or new from a VAR. Eschelon is a good resource in yer area, as they are the largest Inter-Tel reseller in the world. The first step is securing yer PAL.

Second, you put in yer order for the ISDN circuit. It must be configured for NI2 or National ISDN 2.

Third, if yer gonna support yerself, you will, on the night of the cut, program yer T1 card to a T1 Primary Rate Interface Card. Change 'CO Provides Progress Tones' to 'Yes'. Change 'Central Office Switch Type' to 'National ISDN 2'. Double-click on 'Call Type' and change the International Call Types to 'Unknown'. If you can't call International, change this back to 'ISDN'. Double-click on 'Circuits' and program the circuits that you have to B-Channel. Go to yer T-1 Trunk Group. System>Devices and Feature Codes>CO Trunk Groups>T-1 Trunk Group>Trunks. Right click on the gray and add yer B-channels.

Test. Make sure you can dial local, 800, and LD in and out of state. Do a 911 test. If you do not get caller ID name & number, it is the provider, not the PBX. If you think you need more support than this, PM me and I will give you my cell #...

OP Offline
Okay, sounds like I should give it a shot. By the way, I wanted to see if I could get number only w/o the PAL through Cbeyond, and this was their response... "This account is currently on the T1 CAS service. Caller ID name and number are not delivered on this service. There is not a way for us to provide this information to you. Our PRI service does offer both features, so you may want to investigate if your PBX can support PRI if these features are necessary."

This is a totally different answer than I got from them initially and is contrary to what their contract states. Plus, they've completely glossed over the fact that I only asked for "number only", since I already know that I need the PAL for name and number.

Apparently they have our switch configured for Digital CAS and not PRI and that has been the problem all along.

OP Offline
As a follow-up, we got our PRI installed and Cbeyond is supposedly sending name and number caller ID. I have verified this with them. However, we are only getting number.

I looked at the flags associated with each extension on the phone system and the flag for "display name" is marked as yes.

Is there another setting I'm not aware of?

OP Offline
If I'm using a Standard Display phone 550.4400 do I need to toggle the display to see name and number by hitting the infinity symbol and entering 379? It's not working either way, but it would be nice to know how it's supposed to work.

Go to System>Cabinets. Double click on the T-1 PRI card. Check the protocol type, it should read 'National ISDN 2" (NI2). If it does not, then the card is programmed wrong or the circuit isn't NI2. If the circuit isn't Ni2 then you can't get CID name. If it is NI2 and your keysets are set for caller ID name, then you will see name if the PBX is receiving it. It is pretty common for the provider to claim they are sending name when in fact they are not. The botom line is to make sure both the card and the provider are set for NI2.

Phil,
For loop start lines check this:
AXXESS SYSTEM / PREMIUM FEATURES / ADVANCED CO INTERFACES: Must be checked yes.
AXXESS SYSTEM / CABINETS / OPTIONS CARD / DSP PROGRAMMING / CALLER ID RECEIVERS: Must be programmed and the appropriate number of DSPs installed on the OPC.
AXXESS SYSTEM / DEVICES AND FEATURE CODES / TRUNKS / TRUNK CIRCUIT / SERVICE TYPE: Caller ID option must be selected.
AXXESS SYSTEM / STATION RELATED INFORMATION / FLAGS / EXPANDED CO CALL INFORMATION ON DISPLAYS: Appropriate keysets must be included in list.
AXXESS SYSTEM / STATION RELATED INFORMATION / FLAGS / OUTSIDE PARTY CALL INFORMATION HAS PRIORITY: Appropriate keysets must be included in list.

For PRI not displaying name, Check in database programming - SYSTEM - Station Related Info - Flags. Make sure "Outside Party Information Has Priority" has all the stations listed that require Caller ID to be displayed

OP Offline

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Stix1 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums84
Topics94,262
Posts638,693
Members49,757
Most Online5,661
May 23rd, 2018
Popular Topics(Views)
211,098 Shoretel
187,703 CTX100 install
186,792 1a2 system
Newest Members
BPopilek, Rich F, LewisR, TDKs79, Buttinset
49,757 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
dexman 18
Toner 14
TDKs79 8
jc2it 4
Who's Online Now
1 members (Curlycord), 111 guests, and 244 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Contact Us | Sponsored by Atcom: One of the best VoIP Phone Canada Suppliers for your business telephone system!| Terms of Service

Sundance Communications is not affiliated with any of the above manufacturers. Sundance Phone System Forums - VOIP & Cloud Phone Help
©Copyright Sundance Communications 1998-2024