Business Phone Systems

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#475216 07/06/12 03:36 AM
KENB Offline OP
OP Offline
I need to put in a protection terminal at a location that has been lightning stuck many times before I took them and twice since.
They are reluctant to rods .

So i am running my ground to a ground stake
and putting in either solid state or gas tube protectors.

Question is solid state or gas tube which is best and fastest.
It appears solid state ,but would like a reccomendation.

Atcom VoIP Phones
VoIP Demo

Best VoIP Phones Canada

Visit Atcom to get started with your new business VoIP phone system ASAP
Turn up is quick, painless, and can often be done same day.
Let us show you how to do VoIP right, resulting in crystal clear call quality and easy-to-use features that make everyone happy!
Proudly serving Canada from coast to coast.

Gas always works. I have a coal mine with a Mitel and all 300 off prem lines were solid state protected. After replacing both the protectors and many, many station modules, I reverted back to gas.

The solid state protector is technically faster, however, in the environment here, the lightning is seldom a one strike hit. At the mine, it is not unusual for a 4 or 5 multi strike hit which basically shorts the solid state units and they pass all that energy right along to the equipment being protected. Gas is a little slower, but reliable.

Make sure your "equipment ground and the electrical supply service ground are at the exact same potential. Even a milli-ohm difference is enough to cause back striking. I have seen lightning actually follow a "ground" wire to the equipment because there was a resistive difference between the electric service ground and the Telco/equipment ground. Also, be extra sure the serving electrical transformer is fully grounded. If the power is coming from a pole mount transformer, and, as is often the case, the solid copper ground wire is either missing or cut, you open your equipment to extremely dangerous conditions.

Rcaman

Americom, Inc.
Where The Art And Science Of Communications Meet
RIP Moderator-Mitel, Panasonic
RIP Moderator-Mitel, Panasonic
The LAST thing you want to be is the best ground, because then all the BAD electrons go through your system from 3rd-pin-pwer-ground to chassis ground to your ground stake. I'm here to tell you, you WILL be replacing a lot of parts!!!!!!!!!!!

After the second go-round I used one of the 3-to-2 adapters that used to come with power tools for using 'grounded plugs' with non-grounded outlets. Remove the little tab and then your ground is isolated better. Not perfect, but it worked for me. Third time around it destroyed their entire computer network, but the phones were fine as froghair! I TOLD THEM THEIR BUILDING GROUND WAS NON-EXISTENT!!

When I was young, I was Liberal. As I aged and wised up, I became Conservative. Now that I'm old, I have settled on Curmudgeon.
Agree with other that a common ground potential is a must.

I've had good luck with both gas and solid state. Use the lowest voltage you can that doesn't produce a false trip.

Retired phone dude
National Electrical Code: [800.40(B)(1), 810.21(F), 820.40(B)(1) and 830.40(B)(1); 800.40(D), 810.21(J), 820.40(D), and 830.40(D); 250.50, 250.52 and 250.94. Also IEEE Std. 1100.

For those of us who used to work OSP, The NESC Grounding methods for electric supply and Multi-grounded systems is considered the authority.

Rcaman

Americom, Inc.
Where The Art And Science Of Communications Meet
KLD Offline
Yes, everyone here is correct....no grounding difference at all. Have their electrician megger their ground and YOUR ground to verify the equalized grounding of your equipment and the electrical. If there is no difference all voltage induced will rise and fall equally...no potential for discharge damage.

Be careful that no one has attached to the cathodic grounding (lightning rods' ground) of a building. It could "backdoor" your lightning protection/ground.

I prefer gas...we used them on copper circuits that were in power generating plants. Gas "resets" easier and quicker and does not fail as quickly as solid state.

Just my humble opinion.

Ken
---------
KENB Offline OP
OP Offline
Thank you for all your responses. aok

We are replacing all gas arrestor with solid state IDC when ever possible.

Sorry for bringing up an old thread but, I will be connecting two buildings about 200 feet apart via an underground conduit. We have almost no lightning strikes out here.
I will be connecting digital phones and paging.

curious if I should use the solid state for the digital pairs and the gas for the paging pairs.

I am less concerned about lightning since it is a very low chance of that playing an issue (especially repeated hits) but rather preventing false trips.

I have always used Gas before but I am entertaining going solid state since I have had issues with the gas in the past and ran across the solid state ones and they say that is recommended for digital circuits. "They" being discount-low-voltage.com - no I don't buy from there, but was the first to pop up on a google search.

[Linked Image from i26.servimg.com]
TouchPoint Networks.

Serving the Northwest Since 1991
NEC Shoretel Zultys T3 Tadiran

Moderated by  EV607797 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums84
Topics94,280
Posts638,742
Members49,764
Most Online5,661
May 23rd, 2018
Popular Topics(Views)
211,374 Shoretel
188,181 CTX100 install
187,022 1a2 system
Newest Members
Nadisale, andreww, gohunt, Darrick, telecopippo
49,764 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
Toner 15
dexman 4
teleco 4
jc2it 4
Who's Online Now
1 members (nortelvoip), 71 guests, and 97 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Contact Us | Sponsored by Atcom: One of the best VoIP Phone Canada Suppliers for your business telephone system!| Terms of Service

Sundance Communications is not affiliated with any of the above manufacturers. Sundance Phone System Forums - VOIP & Cloud Phone Help
©Copyright Sundance Communications 1998-2024