web statisticsweb stats Business Phone Systems Tech Talk Forum - VOIP & Cloud Phone Help

Business Phone Systems

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
OP Offline

Hello.

Originally, I know that ILEC had to provide the CLEC with the local loop aka. last mile was a wholesale regulated price correct?

I know the ILEC had some court case decisions that allowed them to charge whatever they want.

Does anyone know how much they have raised the price for those local loops/last mile for the CLECs?

For my house, I use to have a lot of choices for phone service including FDN(florida digital networt) however after these court decisions, I only have AT&T and no CLEC service.
So the court case seem to have destroyed much of the competition.

My involvement in business lines was prior to these court decisions so I have been out of the game for a while.

Can anyone give me a idea of what the prices for that local loop look like now vs prior that 2004/2005 court decision( using the 1996 telecommunication act original intent)

Thanks.

Atcom VoIP Phones
VoIP Demo

Best VoIP Phones Canada

Visit Atcom to get started with your new business VoIP phone system ASAP
Turn up is quick, painless, and can often be done same day.
Let us show you how to do VoIP right, resulting in crystal clear call quality and easy-to-use features that make everyone happy!
Proudly serving Canada from coast to coast.

Go here for Florida: https://www.psc.state.fl.us/utilities/telecomm/
Each state regulates telecommunications rates as well as competition.

Rcaman

Americom, Inc.
Where The Art And Science Of Communications Meet
OP Offline
Originally Posted by Rcaman
Go here for Florida: https://www.psc.state.fl.us/utilities/telecomm/
Each state regulates telecommunications rates as well as competition.

Rcaman

So are you saying that the local loop/last mile is still somewhat regulated at the local level ?

I know that with comcast, they let them get away with murder. I am not sure if anyone is really regulating them even if the state is listed on the bill as a contact for regulation.

When I call, they claim they have no ability to regulate them.

Wondering is the same is true for telecom companies for business if they are basically allowed to charge whatever they want to CLECS.

I just know that around 2002, there was competition and currenly there is only a single monopoly ILEC for my residential service.
(Lucky I am grandfathered into FDN/NUVOX/Windstream) however they refuse to provide any residential service to my friends and family unless they have been granted a monopoly in the area.

So much for competition in the marketplace.

I guess they should of just repealed the entire 1996 telecommunication act if going to let the ILEC charge whatever they want for a local loop and kill the competition.

Is anyone in this forum work for a small ISP or does anyone know if there is a forum for CLEC who knows the inside track to how this local loop business work?

I would love to know.

Thanks.

I have no idea what Florida's laws are, however, I do know the regulators must meet the FCC regulations regarding competition when there is competition available.

This was the concern of many independent telephone companies when the FCC ruling did a broad brush approach to regulation. "What happens if there is no viable competition?" The FCC basically made no provision for that and left the dirty little issue up to the individual state public utility commissions. Many state commissions did nothing. Some, like Pennsylvania regulate everything and have a rule for every scenario.

I read the Florida PSC telecommunications provisions and, for the most part, they kind of shrug their collective shoulders and leave it up to the serving LEC whether it be ILEC or CLEC. My guess is, if you did some really hard digging within the PSC, you will find either a regulation or a comment regulation regarding your question. If it was me, I would be a "thorn in their flesh" until they fully addressed the issue. This is a situation that needs regulation, or, at the very least, a ruling that is considerate of the subscriber as well as the provider.

Rcaman

Americom, Inc.
Where The Art And Science Of Communications Meet

Moderated by  Silversam 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums84
Topics94,262
Posts638,697
Members49,757
Most Online5,661
May 23rd, 2018
Popular Topics(Views)
211,100 Shoretel
187,712 CTX100 install
186,800 1a2 system
Newest Members
BPopilek, Rich F, LewisR, TDKs79, Buttinset
49,757 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
dexman 18
Toner 11
TDKs79 8
teleco 4
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 140 guests, and 24 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Contact Us | Sponsored by Atcom: One of the best VoIP Phone Canada Suppliers for your business telephone system!| Terms of Service

Sundance Communications is not affiliated with any of the above manufacturers. Sundance Phone System Forums - VOIP & Cloud Phone Help
©Copyright Sundance Communications 1998-2024