web statisticsweb stats Business Phone Systems Tech Talk Forum - VOIP & Cloud Phone Help

Business Phone Systems

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Moderator-Vertical, Vodavi, 1A2, Outside Wire
Moderator-Vertical, Vodavi, 1A2, Outside Wire
Surprisingly, I've bought thousands of SNS connectors on E-Bay. There are lots of people selling them there.

Ed Vaughn, MBSWWYPBX
Atcom VoIP Phones
VoIP Demo

Best VoIP Phones Canada

Visit Atcom to get started with your new business VoIP phone system ASAP
Turn up is quick, painless, and can often be done same day.
Let us show you how to do VoIP right, resulting in crystal clear call quality and easy-to-use features that make everyone happy!
Proudly serving Canada from coast to coast.

From what I have read. DirecTV has gone back to the T&B connectors.

I think the PPC connectors as the best and I get all of mine off of eBay.

Are the T&B connectors still two-piece?

Patrick T. Caezza
Santa Paula, CA 93060
C-7 - Low Voltage System Contractor - Lic# 992448
puttsy Offline OP
OP Offline
Originally Posted by EV607797
Surprisingly, I've bought thousands of SNS connectors on E-Bay. There are lots of people selling them there.

I always buy mine of eBay too. I can actually get them cheaper on eBay than from any supplier unless I'm buying a bulk pack (1000?) I do sometimes wonder if some sellers are D* guys selling them from the van though. And since I don't use them daily, a bulk pack just isn't worth sitting on considering what I would kind-of save.

Originally Posted by Mercenary Roadie
From what I have read. DirecTV has gone back to the T&B connectors.

I think the PPC connectors as the best and I get all of mine off of eBay.

Are the T&B connectors still two-piece?

DirecTV now approves and installs the red SNS connectors. SNS1P6U (fitting a wider variety of cable)

Yep, still 2-piece, kind-of. The standard ones come with the colour coded plastic boot pre-installed but it can eaisly be removed "in case of installation difficulty" (From lawsuit between PPC and T&B)

I've had a heck of a time finding the SNS BNC and RCA connectors though. The standard F connectors are everywhere but the compression BNC and RCA's aren't up on eBay often and defiantly not reasonably priced.

Great deals on T&B's and PPC F-connectors on eBay though. T&B are made in USA which gives them an even higher edge than PPC but, even without, they are still my preference. Just nicer to work with.

I just recently bought one of these:

https://www.service.kleintools.com/...s%20VDVTOOLS-VDVCRIMP/Product/VDV211-063

and they have a wide variety of connectors for it:

https://www.service.kleintools.com/Tool/PRD/Category/Coax%20Connectors,%20Splitters,%20and%20Accessories%20VDVTOOLS-VDVCOAXCON

I've always been very fussy about the compression tools I use and am very leery about the dumbed down "one size fits all" tools that are really being made for the sparkie and DIY market.

When compression fittings first started being used there were no such tools and like is still the situation with some BNCs, you have to use the tool designed for the connector. Compression connectors haven't changed much and in the beginning you could only find the tools at cable TV supply houses. Cable Prep was the most popular and is what I use today.

Funny thing about compression connectors, all are slightly different in the amount of "push" that the tool plunger must provide for a proper installation. All Cable Prep tools are adjustable for this reason and to enable the user to maintain the original factory calibration . I do notice a difference between RG6 PPC and Digicon and actually have two tools, each adjusted for each brand. So my point is that those "one size fits all" tools are a compromise at best and can't possibly seat everything properly, especially 6 and 11 on the same tool. To little and it's not seated all the way and too much the fitting is damaged. But what the hell would a DIY or sparkie know? VDV is a new source of revenue.

-Hal

Last edited by hbiss; 03/19/13 12:15 PM.

CALIFORNIA PROPOSITION 65 WARNING: Some comments made by me are known to the State of California to cause irreversible brain damage and serious mental disorders leading to confinement.
I have a Platinum Tools compression tool that does F, RCA, and BNC (each with its own adapter) and a Ripley compression tool for F connectors. Both are fully adjustable.

Jeff Moss

Moss Communications
Computer Repair-Networking-Cabling
MBSWWYPBX, JGAE
LRC Electronics was up the road from us. For those of you who know the Corning, Inc. name, it was located about 15 miles East of Corning, New York. A hamlet by the name of Horse Heads.

I did a stint in the middle 70's for a mom & pop cable company, actually we had 9 systems of various sizes. I was the only employee. I had to go directly to LRC and get a bag or two of F connectors and some 1/2" mainline splices a couple of times.

Always amazed me how clean the place was and how many hundreds of thousands of pieces of connectors they had waiting to be shipped out.

J

Admin
Admin
I went the multi tool path because it was just easier. I own a Digicon branded tool and my original Ripley tool that I used for SNS. When I went to PPC's, it was easy to buy a new tool so I got the Ideal Omniseal set up for PPC's.

When Digicon's were being sold in bulk, I went to the eBay seller (in my case Tech Tool Supply out of Livonia, MI) and set up an account with them. I still get all of my cable hardware from them. Digicon has fallen out of favor, not sure if it's price or availability, and I still have a couple hundred SNS's in my gamefisher box. I have not done a video or hospitality property for a couple of years so I'm a bit out of the loop on what's the latest and greatest video distribution hardware. Pretty much, the startups just go to the local cable TV outlet and beat them up for $8 a room.

Carl

Originally Posted by Jeff E
LRC Electronics was up the road from us. For those of you who know the Corning, Inc. name, it was located about 15 miles East of Corning, New York. A hamlet by the name of Horse Heads.

I did a stint in the middle 70's for a mom & pop cable company, actually we had 9 systems of various sizes. I was the only employee. I had to go directly to LRC and get a bag or two of F connectors and some 1/2" mainline splices a couple of times.

Always amazed me how clean the place was and how many hundreds of thousands of pieces of connectors they had waiting to be shipped out.

J

Yes! Horse Heads, NY. That's what I was trying to remember. Back in those days all cable companies were mom and pop. One day I was doing service calls and the next I was setting poles and hanging strand.

-Hal

CALIFORNIA PROPOSITION 65 WARNING: Some comments made by me are known to the State of California to cause irreversible brain damage and serious mental disorders leading to confinement.
Remember the f connectors that were available in the olden days? One type had a small separate ring ferrule and the other type had the small ferrule attached to the connector. It didn't matter how well you made the connection, a tug or sharp bend would pull the cable out of the connector. Then came the connectors with a longer attached ferrule meant to be used with a hex crimp tool. You needed a coax flaring tool to be able to insert the connector,and a tool to hold the connector so the copper steel center conductor didn't wind up inside your finger. Even the mil spec bnc connectors were not much better. They were similar to compression fittings for copper tubing. You first had to solder the center conductor to the pin and then wrench tighten the nut at the rear of the connector. A sharp bend would still pull the cable out of the connector. When I first used a LRC connector , I was astounded at the ease of inserting the connector on the cable and the pullout resistance. It's almost impossible to pull the cable out of the latest ppc xl connector.

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  MooreTel 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums84
Topics94,262
Posts638,696
Members49,757
Most Online5,661
May 23rd, 2018
Popular Topics(Views)
211,098 Shoretel
187,710 CTX100 install
186,795 1a2 system
Newest Members
BPopilek, Rich F, LewisR, TDKs79, Buttinset
49,757 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
dexman 18
Toner 11
TDKs79 8
jc2it 4
teleco 4
Who's Online Now
1 members (Toner), 163 guests, and 239 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Contact Us | Sponsored by Atcom: One of the best VoIP Phone Canada Suppliers for your business telephone system!| Terms of Service

Sundance Communications is not affiliated with any of the above manufacturers. Sundance Phone System Forums - VOIP & Cloud Phone Help
©Copyright Sundance Communications 1998-2024