Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
OP Offline
Hello John, Thank you so much for your response

Originally Posted by John Osvatic
Most T1/DS1's sold are of the ISDN Primary Rate Interface type. They consist of 23 Bearer Channels at 64kb/s that can be used for EITHER voice or data. The 24th channel is labeled the Delta Signaling Channel also at 64kb/s. Most of the time the Delta's only purpose is to process call functions from the CPE EPBX Voice Bearer channels to the Signaling System Seven world wide network "gateway" at the LEC

Even though not as common, I would like to learn more about SS7 interconnects, and how they are generally performed by the carriers (i.e., point codes, signaling etc..). Basically how ISDN/PRI trunks differ from traditional SS7 trunks.

I hope this is not a stupid question smirk.

Last edited by Phone Guy Mike; 07/01/13 08:37 AM.
Atcom VoIP Phones
VoIP Demo

Best VoIP Phones Canada

Visit Atcom to get started with your new business VoIP phone system ASAP
Turn up is quick, painless, and can often be done same day.
Let us show you how to do VoIP right, resulting in crystal clear call quality and easy-to-use features that make everyone happy!
Proudly serving Canada from coast to coast.

Dear PGM,
First off "The only stupid question is the one that is NOT asked". Secondly, I applaud your thirst for knowledge, however this forum does not allow the space needed to go into a detailed overview of ISDN or SS7. May I suggest you first get the book "Understanding Data Communications" by William Held. It will provide a good base of Telecommunications and Data Communications including ISDN and SS7. After that I would suggest searching for a book on "Understanding the Basics of SS7 and ISDN" in non technical terms.

Forty six years and still fascinated with Telecommunications!
PGM:
If you would send me a PM with your mailing address I would gladly send you a book titled " Telecom Crash Course" at no charge.

Thanks,

John O

OP Offline
Hello John,

Thanks again so much for your direction. I have found the third edition of the the Wiley book online, as well as a copy of the crash course book. Will go through them and better educate myself on the parts I am unfamiliar with. Stay tuned... smile

Last edited by Phone Guy Mike; 07/04/13 10:37 PM.
PGM, An important part of understanding ISDN (and PRI's) is an understanding of the various interfaces and protocols as defined by the International Telephone Union's standard setting committees. Don't overlook them.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Silversam 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums84
Topics94,285
Posts638,781
Members49,766
Most Online5,661
May 23rd, 2018
Popular Topics(Views)
211,755 Shoretel
188,948 CTX100 install
187,190 1a2 system
Newest Members
James D., Nadisale, andreww, gohunt, Darrick
49,765 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
Toner 22
teleco 5
dexman 4
dans 3
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 102 guests, and 184 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Contact Us | Sponsored by Atcom: One of the best VoIP Phone Canada Suppliers for your business telephone system!| Terms of Service

Sundance Communications is not affiliated with any of the above manufacturers. Sundance Phone System Forums - VOIP & Cloud Phone Help
©Copyright Sundance Communications 1998-2024