web statisticsweb stats

Business Phone Systems

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
JPfahl #560816 11/04/13 04:01 PM
wireshark at the phone switch port? are the reg request getting that far?

Is there a way of clearing the cache of the phone? If so, does the broadcast IP still show up?

[Linked Image from i26.servimg.com]
TouchPoint Networks.

Serving the Northwest Since 1991
NEC Shoretel Zultys T3 Tadiran
Atcom VoIP Phones
VoIP Demo

Best VoIP Phones Canada

Visit Atcom to get started with your new business VoIP phone system ASAP
Turn up is quick, painless, and can often be done same day.
Let us show you how to do VoIP right, resulting in crystal clear call quality and easy-to-use features that make everyone happy!
Proudly serving Canada from coast to coast.

JPfahl Offline OP
OP Offline
I defaulted a phone that I would assume would clear it out. Still pulling that forge in address. Wireshark at the phone switch port still shows that addresses. THey are not in our network.

JPfahl #560824 11/04/13 06:46 PM
Moderator-Iwatsu
Moderator-Iwatsu
If the phone is getting an address of 10.0.7.whatever, it is being provided to it, if the phone is set for DHCP discovery. Te phone system won't hand out an address unless the DHCP server is enabled.

Test a phone like this, assuming you have a power brick for the phone. Remove the network connection from the MBU. Plug a phone, set for DHCP into the bottom 8P8C jack on the MBU. If you have the internal DHCP server disabled, the phone shouldn't boot up. Then set the phone for static IP, set an address in the phone system's subnet and see if it connects. Do your wireshark traps looking for the 10.0.7 addresses. You shouldn't see any.

Can I get a copy of your data base?

Sometimes the thoughts in my head get so bored, they go for a stroll through my mouth. This is rarely a good thing.
JPfahl Offline OP
OP Offline
I will do the test and double check the settings... thanks for checking in. I tried to send the db but the max file size is smaller the the db. Thoughts?

JPfahl #560833 11/04/13 10:11 PM
JPfahl Offline OP
OP Offline
I performed the afrorementioned test: removed network connection from the mbu. INternal and all dhcp servers disabled. Phone did not connect to the system. However, upon switching it to static and [NOT] yet setting an IP address the system assigned it a 10.0.0.10 address. So where did it get that from. This test was just the phone and phone system. Nothing connected and dhcp i thought disabled. By that i mean in the programmer all of the DHCP fields have a zero in them. Is there actually a disable enable switch i should be looking for?

JPfahl #560866 11/05/13 01:35 PM
Some manufactures require the system to be rebooted after certain changes, could this be the case with your internal DHCP server?

We get old too soon, smart too late
JPfahl #560884 11/05/13 07:39 PM
Moderator-Iwatsu
Moderator-Iwatsu
Any time you make any kind of IP address change, reboot the phone system.

The 10.0.0.10 address is the default-out-of-the-box IP address on the phone IIRC. Reboot the phone switch, configure the phone with an IP address of 80. whatever and try the test again.

Run the SNMP diagnostic report so you can see what IP addresses phones are using. Pay particular attention to subnet and gateway. I'm thinking you have a route issue back to the phone system. Phone reboots are usually caused by 1) Losing the TCP connection to the switch; 2) Losing power to the phone. If you're using PoE switches, that could indicate a failing switch or bad ports.

Where have you told things about VLAN tagging? It needs to be either 'tagged' to a VLAN number everywhere, or not tagged at all. The best filtering method for a VLAN with this equipment is to make it related to Iwatsu MAC addresses to keep unwanted aquipment out of the way.

PM sent regarding data base.

Sometimes the thoughts in my head get so bored, they go for a stroll through my mouth. This is rarely a good thing.
JPfahl #562796 12/13/13 09:35 AM
Would love an update on this. Did you ever find the problem?

James Berman
Business Telephone Systems
770-638-5000
Mitel - Premise and Cloud Solutions
Iwatsu
| Business Telephone Systems Atlanta |
JPfahl #562869 12/15/13 10:15 AM
JPfahl Offline OP
OP Offline
Thank you to all who have offered knowledge to this case. We have yet to determine the cause. IWATSU and the phone vendor insist that the issue lies with the network but have thus far failed to pinpoint the exact cause. Myself and other experts indicate that the network has been eliminated base on the 7 layer OSI model and insist that it is the phone system. So, no resolution yet! Thank you. We are going to redesign the IP network this month and see if that puts it in order. Short of that and physically separating the phone and network we have no answers.

JPfahl #602896 08/04/16 01:35 PM
I registered here just so I could chime in and say "me too" I know this is an old thread, but it did help us so I wanted to contribute my 2ยข too.

We have IWATSU IP phones hanging off our main phone system and started seeing the same "wonky" behavior when they were moved to another building. We had a couple in service that worked fine for years on a /16 subnet (255.255.0.0) getting addresses from DHCP in the old building.

Once we moved the phones to a new building (different subnet, same network, no firewalls only routers in between so no traffic gets blocked) they starting having issues.

For us the phones would get an IP address from DHCP but could not contact the phone system. You could ping the phone from anywhere (same building, building with the phone system, etc) but they just wouldn't talk to the phone system!! After looking at this post (and talking to Iwatsu support) setting the phones to a static IP address fixed them right up! Even if we gave them the same address they were getting from DHCP! I think something is busted in the IWATSU phone's network stack but that's nothing we could fix.

Another odd coicidence was that the subnet at the new building was also a /23 subnet (just like the original poster). Maybe these phones break when getting a non-class A,B,C subnet from a DHCP server??

I think it's rubbish that we have to statically assign IP addresses, but at least we have a work around.

--Andrew Duey
Network Engineer

Last edited by Andrew Duey; 08/04/16 01:35 PM.
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  JBean3329 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums84
Topics94,287
Posts638,784
Members49,767
Most Online5,661
May 23rd, 2018
Popular Topics(Views)
211,806 Shoretel
188,967 CTX100 install
187,202 1a2 system
Newest Members
A2A Networks, James D., Nadisale, andreww, gohunt
49,766 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
Toner 22
teleco 5
dexman 4
dans 3
Who's Online Now
2 members (Robbks, jeffmoss26), 112 guests, and 167 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Contact Us | Sponsored by Atcom: One of the best VoIP Phone Canada Suppliers for your business telephone system!| Terms of Service

Sundance Communications is not affiliated with any of the above manufacturers. Sundance Phone System Forums - VOIP & Cloud Phone Help
©Copyright Sundance Communications 1998-2024