Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#561698 11/20/13 05:15 PM
PeterO Offline OP
OP Offline
Greetings!

Newbie here. A sister company discontinued the use of their Telenium IP which we still use, and gave us their IP 7024D (LIP-7000 series) phones. In the process of reconfiguring them to use them as remote phones, I managed to brick a few :\

The first one I successfully reconfigured, then noticed the firmware was different so I just _had_ to try out "remote upgrade". Yep. Pretty dumb move. The phone ended up in download mode unable to FTP the firmware. I figured that that would be recoverable when I brought the phone back into the office, because I could still get to the web interface (which had a form where you can upload firmware). Well. No such luck. I switched the phone to DHCP. Now it won't even get an IP address anymore (yes, we do have a working DHCP server). Loss 1.

I had brought a second phone to home (just in case it wouldn't work rightaway). Well. I was in the middle of reconfiguring IP settings and gateway when my wife asked to use the computer, so I set it aside. When she was done facebooking, and I tried to finish configuring the phone but it was locked up solid. No response. I powercycled it. Now, that previously working (but misconfigured) phone won't go past Initializing.......

Brick 2.

I tried a third one at work. In the middle of playing with it (reconfiguring IP, gateway, and mode) I have an incoming call, so I had to set my play 7024D aside. Well. Same thing. Frozen, and nothing but Initializing.... on powercycle.

Brick 3!

I was able to reconfigure the remaining phones and didn't brick any others, but I would really like to revive my freshly killed phones.

I don't have firmwares, and I'm not sure whether or not these are available to end users like us. I'm not beyond setting up a tftp server and spending some time tinkering. I had one open (because on one of them the horn switch didn't work most of the time) and noticed that there is a JTAG header. This is not super useful to me as I don't currently have a jtag cable, whatever required software to reflash, nor whatever firmware file I'd need, but it gave me some hope.

I put the board of the phone with the broken horn switch with one of my bricks and that one now works great, but I'm still left with a couple of paperweights that worked before.

Is there hope? A semi-secret combination of keypresses or a way to reflash over ethernet? The firmware on our phones appeared to be quite old. I now know that he firmware on our new phones is actually a bit more recent.

Any hints would be most welcome. And yes, you may laugh - I had it coming!

Best,

Peter.

Atcom VoIP Phones
VoIP Demo

Best VoIP Phones Canada

Visit Atcom to get started with your new business VoIP phone system ASAP
Turn up is quick, painless, and can often be done same day.
Let us show you how to do VoIP right, resulting in crystal clear call quality and easy-to-use features that make everyone happy!
Proudly serving Canada from coast to coast.

Retired Moderator
Retired Moderator
Plug the phone in without the ip connection. Hit transfer to force it into quick start mode. Configure it, re-connect it then hit speaker to reboot.

www.myrandomviews
"Old phone guys never die, they just get locked in some closet with an old phone system and forgotten about"

Retired, taking photographs and hoping to fly one of my many kites.
PeterO Offline OP
OP Offline
Hello Derrick,

Thanks for the response.

No luck with that - transfer button seems to do nothing, at any stage of the boot process.

The phones stuck at INITIALIZING ... don't respond to any keypress, and the phone that I broke by trying firmware flash doesn't respond either. Eventually it times out with a message on the screen:

DHCP SVR - NO RESPONSE
FAILED(3332858# ->DFLT)

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums84
Topics94,285
Posts638,782
Members49,766
Most Online5,661
May 23rd, 2018
Popular Topics(Views)
211,776 Shoretel
188,962 CTX100 install
187,200 1a2 system
Newest Members
James D., Nadisale, andreww, gohunt, Darrick
49,765 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
Toner 22
teleco 5
dexman 4
dans 3
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 169 guests, and 171 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Contact Us | Sponsored by Atcom: One of the best VoIP Phone Canada Suppliers for your business telephone system!| Terms of Service

Sundance Communications is not affiliated with any of the above manufacturers. Sundance Phone System Forums - VOIP & Cloud Phone Help
©Copyright Sundance Communications 1998-2024