Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
TelcoBoy
Unregistered
TelcoBoy
Unregistered
I thought the KSU I bought on eBay was the same type as my old shoe box that I had 20 years ago. frown
I had an old logic 10 that I thought I could use.

I was planning to buy and old Western Electric 2500 series 1A2 6-Button Touchtone Desk Phone and maybe an ITT 2564 six button desk phone.

Are they compatible?

What about my line cards are they ok for what I want to do?

I will look at the document over again. Hopefully I will understand.

20 years ago I was able to play with my shoe box with almost no problems. I could add lines and stations to the KSU.
I should be able to work things out if I just can understand the wiring codes.

I just looked at the layout for the 66R1, 66R2 and 66R3 blocks but I have reference where the CO lines are patched and where the stations are supposed to be. In my old shoe box all the pins were identified. Is there a document that gives me this information?
Thanks

Last edited by TelcoBoy; 03/04/14 02:09 PM.
Atcom VoIP Phones
VoIP Demo

Best VoIP Phones Canada

Visit Atcom to get started with your new business VoIP phone system ASAP
Turn up is quick, painless, and can often be done same day.
Let us show you how to do VoIP right, resulting in crystal clear call quality and easy-to-use features that make everyone happy!
Proudly serving Canada from coast to coast.

Moderator-Vertical, Vodavi, 1A2, Outside Wire
Moderator-Vertical, Vodavi, 1A2, Outside Wire
You will be able to use any 1A2 telephone set, regardless of the manufacturer. Just be careful with the last three violet pairs on 565/2565 sets as they have specific functions for use with the 4A speakerphone set. Don't allow them to touch anything.

Your line cards are the last generation of ones made by WE. They are 100% solid state (no relays), so they don't make any noise. They also don't require grounding to ring on incoming calls, so you'll be good when using non-traditional sources for dial tone, as in CATV modems, Asterisk equipment, etc.

The fuse block above the power supply most certainly needs to be populated. These largely control steady lamp, flashing lamp and winking lamp for each line card slot. You'll need to refer the your BSP to find out which ones provide power to which slot(s).

Ed Vaughn, MBSWWYPBX
"Is there a document that gives me this information?"

Yes, Figure 8 in the BSP.

Arthur P. Bloom
"30 years of faithful service...15 years on hold"

Moderator-1A2, Cabling
Moderator-1A2, Cabling
I don't think I've ever seen that type of KSU!

What differentiates it from a 501? 6 Lines, power supply, intercom, blocks.....

What did it offer that the 501 didn't?

Sam

"Where are we going and why are we in this hand basket?"
Sam, it was Mother's last attempt at a packaged 1A2 system. It is a packaged, densely-populated box, that accommodates 4" and (more importantly) 8" cards, like the various DICM units, with all the internal wiring ready to go. It is also expandable with the addition of the 514. The combination could provide (ISTR) 14 CO lines and a large DICM. To install it properly, you need to run a connecting cable out to an IDF, otherwise it gets crowded quickly. That is its only drawback, as a "plug-n-play" box. But it is simplicity itself to install.

The next (and last) iteration of 1A2 was the 6xx series of modular panels. That family came out "just after the nick of time." A few minutes later, the Merlin®, etc, skinny wire systems were upon us.

Read the BSP and you'll appreciate its tight and compact engineering. If anyone wants one, one of my fellow members at TCI bought a few dozen of them at a GL auction. Just speculation, but that's where the one that our OP got his, I suspect, via Ebay. It probably is NOT marked "Bell System" (either the words are covered with a sticker, or obliterated in some other manner) but rather has a model number of "513AW".

Like most WE sold to the govt, the W stands for War department. Anytime you see a W at the end of WE model number, or the words "Bell System" missing from what you know is a BS product, that's where it came from. Since the product was never sold to a BOC, it had no reason to be labelled Bell System.

Arthur P. Bloom
"30 years of faithful service...15 years on hold"

Moderator-1A2, Cabling
Moderator-1A2, Cabling
Thanks, Arthur. Makes sense.....

Sam

"Where are we going and why are we in this hand basket?"
TelcoBoy
Unregistered
TelcoBoy
Unregistered
Good morning guys,

I did my homework and downloaded the documents needed. I read them and starting to understand them.

My first step this morning is to install all the fuses in the fuse box on top of my unit.

There are 15 to be installed.
They go as follows;

F1 5A
F2 5A
F3 1/2A
F4 2A
F5 2A
F6 2A
F7 2A
F8 2A
F9 2A
F10 2A
F11 2A
F12 2A
F13 2A
F14 2A
F15 2A
F16 Spare location.

Do they all need to be there? Seems alot!

Where can I get replacement fuses ( 1/2A, 2A and 5A ) if I blow one during the wiring in the near futur? They are probably hard to get !

Thanks,
Stephane

Finding the actual fuses may be tough. You can, however, purchase fuse wire. You can then repair the operated fuses yourself. Do a Google search and you'll find several sources.

Rcaman

Americom, Inc.
Where The Art And Science Of Communications Meet
TelcoBoy
Unregistered
TelcoBoy
Unregistered
Does anyone know the exact voltage for these fuses?

Stephane

The voltage is going to be in the low voltage range around 24 VDC. You will notice that most fuse wire ratings will be 32 Volt for low voltage ratings. Since your voltage requirements are lower than 32 Volts, the 32 Volt rating is fine. All high voltage fuses will be glass AG style fuses.

Rcaman

Last edited by Rcaman; 03/07/14 01:14 PM.

Americom, Inc.
Where The Art And Science Of Communications Meet
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  ChrisRR, EV607797, Silversam 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums84
Topics94,282
Posts638,762
Members49,764
Most Online5,661
May 23rd, 2018
Popular Topics(Views)
211,440 Shoretel
188,295 CTX100 install
187,076 1a2 system
Newest Members
Nadisale, andreww, gohunt, Darrick, telecopippo
49,764 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
Toner 23
teleco 6
jc2it 4
dexman 4
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 103 guests, and 195 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Contact Us | Sponsored by Atcom: One of the best VoIP Phone Canada Suppliers for your business telephone system!| Terms of Service

Sundance Communications is not affiliated with any of the above manufacturers. Sundance Phone System Forums - VOIP & Cloud Phone Help
©Copyright Sundance Communications 1998-2024