web statisticsweb stats Business Phone Systems Tech Talk Forum - VOIP & Cloud Phone Help

Business Phone Systems

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#574938 07/27/14 01:05 PM
ILE Offline OP
OP Offline
I see it on every bid/spec project, and paint additives are fairly reasonably priced to achieve a class A E84 rating. What I've never seen before today, and this is at a new firehouse, is a stipulation that the fire retardant stamp/label be visible on the backboard. I've never had to label a backboard as such. I searched, but could not find a roll of labels for this purpose, and I would think one would have to show some type of certification to even have possession of these. Any thoughts?

btw, I chuckled because the whole spec read that the fire retardant backboard be painted to match the surrounding walls, but the label had to be masked off so it remained visible. I immediately contacted the department of redundancy department.

Atcom VoIP Phones
VoIP Demo

Best VoIP Phones Canada

Visit Atcom to get started with your new business VoIP phone system ASAP
Turn up is quick, painless, and can often be done same day.
Let us show you how to do VoIP right, resulting in crystal clear call quality and easy-to-use features that make everyone happy!
Proudly serving Canada from coast to coast.

Moderator-Avaya-Lucent, Antique Tele
Moderator-Avaya-Lucent, Antique Tele
I've seen it as a a sheet of plywood that came from the lumber yard with the fire retardant applied by the manufacturer, and a stamping on the face stating the fire rating. When they paint the board to match the surrounding walls, this stamping get's masked off so the fire inspector can confirm that the underlying board is manufacturer certified as to its rating.

Admin
Admin
Fairly routine request around here for many years. Good luck finding 4x8 sheet of 3/4 inch plywood that is certified fire resistant. Used to source them locally but no longer. Last price was ~$250 a sheet.

[Linked Image]
Originally Posted by ILE
What I've never seen before today, and this is at a new firehouse, is a stipulation that the fire retardant stamp/label be visible on the backboard. I've never had to label a backboard as such. I searched, but could not find a roll of labels for this purpose, and I would think one would have to show some type of certification to even have possession of these.

There is no such thing as fire retardant labels that you stick on the backboard.

What is required is the fire retardant is applied to the backboard at a factory and a ink type stamp is applied at the factory that marks them fire retardant.

As was said before. When you paint these backboards you have to mask off the label(s) so they can be seen by an inspector. Don't get caught in the trap of making off the label and then covering it with equipment.

Patrick T. Caezza
Santa Paula, CA 93060
C-7 - Low Voltage System Contractor - Lic# 992448
Minards $45 4'x8'x3/4" U.L. Listed and certified to be FR1 compliant. New York and Los Angeles approved.

Rcaman

Americom, Inc.
Where The Art And Science Of Communications Meet
Originally Posted by Rcaman
Minards $45 4'x8'x3/4" U.L. Listed and certified to be FR1 compliant. New York and Los Angeles approved.

Rcaman

Good information, but were do you find it? Nobody around here has heard of it let alone carry it.

Patrick T. Caezza
Santa Paula, CA 93060
C-7 - Low Voltage System Contractor - Lic# 992448
Spam Hunter
Spam Hunter
Minards is a chain of stores. The closest one to New England is in OH. Their website says that the boards cannot be shipped to home. I think that there is something that can be mixed into paint to make it fire retardant...but...it will need to be reapplied every so often.

I Love FEATURE 00
RIP Moderator-Nisuko-Tie, General
RIP Moderator-Nisuko-Tie, General
I buy it at the local non big box real lumber yard/builders supply for less than 50 for 3/4 x 4 x 8

Skip
------------------------------------

Serving SW and West central Fl since 1984
Save big money at Menard's laugh

Jeff Moss

Moss Communications
Computer Repair-Networking-Cabling
MBSWWYPBX, JGAE
Mid Western. Ohio, Michigan, Indiana, Illinois, Wisconsin, Minnesota, Iowa, Missouri, Nebraska, Kansas, South Dakota, North Dakota, Wyoming, and Kentucky.

However, the company that makes the product sells to big box outlets across the country. The pricing may vary. Trueguard LLC, 715 Denver Avenue, Loveland, CO 80537. Either do a Google search or contact the company to find out where to find their product in your area.

By the way, there are many other companies that manufacture fire retardant wood sheets and panels. This is just one that I happen to know about.

Patrick, here's a link to sources of fire retardant wood manufacturers near CA. Click Here

Rcaman

Last edited by Rcaman; 07/29/14 05:17 PM.

Americom, Inc.
Where The Art And Science Of Communications Meet
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Silversam 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums84
Topics94,262
Posts638,696
Members49,757
Most Online5,661
May 23rd, 2018
Popular Topics(Views)
211,098 Shoretel
187,707 CTX100 install
186,794 1a2 system
Newest Members
BPopilek, Rich F, LewisR, TDKs79, Buttinset
49,757 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
dexman 18
Toner 14
TDKs79 8
jc2it 4
teleco 4
Who's Online Now
1 members (Toner), 103 guests, and 241 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Contact Us | Sponsored by Atcom: One of the best VoIP Phone Canada Suppliers for your business telephone system!| Terms of Service

Sundance Communications is not affiliated with any of the above manufacturers. Sundance Phone System Forums - VOIP & Cloud Phone Help
©Copyright Sundance Communications 1998-2024