web statisticsweb stats

Business Phone Systems

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
"https://ibin.co/1VMer8BBLzMA"

There is no need for a three-gang box (we're not surprised, though, are we, that an architect specified something about which he knows little or nothing?)

Since we can populate a single-gang plate with up to six (6) standard jacks, there is no need to supply such a wide plate.

The answers to your hum question are (1) no, but I wouldn't do it that way, I would keep the power in a physically separated box, or (2) the NEC down here allows a two-gang box as long as there is a special partition in the box to ensure that the high- and low-voltage systems play nicely together.

Here's a slightly outdated (2008) version of the rule:

800.133 Installation of Communications Wires, Cables, and Equipment. (A) Separation from Other Conductors. (1) In Raceways, Cable Trays, Boxes, and Cables. (c) Electric Light, Power, Class 1, Non–Power-Limited Fire Alarm, and Medium-Power Network-Powered Broadband Communications Circuits in Raceways, Compartments, and Boxes.

Communications conductors shall not be placed in any raceway, compartment, outlet box, junction box, or similar fitting with conductors of electric light, power, Class 1, non–power-limited fire alarm, or medium-power network-powered broadband communications circuits.

Exception No. 1: Where all of the conductors of electric light, power, Class 1, non–power-limited fire alarm, and medium-power network-powered broadband communications circuits are separated from all of the conductors of communications circuits by a permanent barrier or listed divider.

Exception No. 2: Power conductors in outlet boxes, junction boxes, or similar fittings or compartments where such conductors are introduced solely for power supply to communications equipment. The power circuit conductors shall be routed within the enclosure to maintain a minimum of 6 mm (0.25 in.) separation from the communications circuit conductors.

Arthur P. Bloom
"30 years of faithful service...15 years on hold"

Atcom VoIP Phones
VoIP Demo

Best VoIP Phones Canada

Visit Atcom to get started with your new business VoIP phone system ASAP
Turn up is quick, painless, and can often be done same day.
Let us show you how to do VoIP right, resulting in crystal clear call quality and easy-to-use features that make everyone happy!
Proudly serving Canada from coast to coast.

Originally Posted by surdel
I want to know if the traditional wall plate jack colors in the US are white jack for voice and blue for data?

Just curios on this one. I purchaced the last supply stock of jacks, cables and so on and have a number of jacks that are red, yellow, green and so on from my ex boss. I would imagine a red female beldon jack could be used as a backbone cable but, have not seen it used in that case.

There is no standard for data jack color. It will depend on what the client specifies. I have had clients want the wall plate and jacks to match (commercial and residential), I have had them want the Voice to match the wall plate and the data to be (insert color here).

Patrick T. Caezza
Santa Paula, CA 93060
C-7 - Low Voltage System Contractor - Lic# 992448
As to color-coded jacks, the distinction between voice and data is rapidly disappearing. The concept of "universal" ports terminated on patch panels is becoming more common.

Originally Posted by surdel
Okay here is a request on the blue prints. Tell me this will/will not cause hum from AC power onto the data cables? Thee gang wall plate with voice on one gang opening and data on the other?

https://ibin.co/1VMer8BBLzMA

I see no problem with this requirement.

The voice and data will go on the low voltage side of the 3-gang box and the 2 5-15R duplex receptacles will go on the side. It all adds up as the 2 5-15R duplex receptacles require a 2-gang box and you have to have the low voltage stuff in it's own single gang box.

So a 3-gang box with a barrier fits the bill just fine.

Patrick T. Caezza
Santa Paula, CA 93060
C-7 - Low Voltage System Contractor - Lic# 992448
Moderator-Vertical, Vodavi, 1A2, Outside Wire
On a side note: Is it Belden here in the US and Beldon in Canada?

Ed Vaughn, MBSWWYPBX
surdel Offline OP
OP Offline
Rather BE Fishing. Okay sounds good.

Spam Hunter
Spam Hunter
My convention is Telco Gray for primary voice, white for redundant voice and blue for Internet. Keystone jacks are color coded identically. Ditto for all patch cords. Housings are clearly labeled with P Touch labels identifying which jack is for what.

I Love FEATURE 00
Ed, I think Beldon was just a typo.
It was originally Nordx, based in Canada, so it's still more prevalent there.
Belden bought CDT and got rid of most of the individual company names.

Jeff Moss

Moss Communications
Computer Repair-Networking-Cabling
MBSWWYPBX, JGAE
I'm not sure it is a typo, Jeff. There are other threads going where the Canadian members seem to consistently spell it "Beldon". I'd normally agree with you, but there seems to be so much consistency that I have to wonder.

Now, I do still see the constant misspellings of Siemon and Siemens (and variations) in this trade and even more in the electrical field. "Siemons" is my favorite.

Ed Vaughn, MBSWWYPBX
Originally Posted by jeffmoss26
Ed, I think Beldon was just a typo.
It was originally Nordx, based in Canada, so it's still more prevalent there.
Belden bought CDT and got rid of most of the individual company names.

Nordex was formed from the sale of Nortel's cable division so that's why they had Bix etc.

And I agree that Beldon is a typo, never seen a company called that selling telephone stuff in Western Canada.

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  Silversam 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums84
Topics94,283
Posts638,765
Members49,764
Most Online5,661
May 23rd, 2018
Popular Topics(Views)
211,446 Shoretel
188,300 CTX100 install
187,081 1a2 system
Newest Members
Nadisale, andreww, gohunt, Darrick, telecopippo
49,764 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
Toner 23
teleco 7
dexman 4
jc2it 4
Who's Online Now
3 members (justbill, highlysecptial, Toner), 155 guests, and 124 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Contact Us | Sponsored by Atcom: One of the best VoIP Phone Canada Suppliers for your business telephone system!| Terms of Service

Sundance Communications is not affiliated with any of the above manufacturers. Sundance Phone System Forums - VOIP & Cloud Phone Help
©Copyright Sundance Communications 1998-2024