Business Phone Systems

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
OP Offline
Hello,
Looking for suggestions on equipment or devices that will allow me answer calls on a multi line phone within say a 1/4 or 1/2 ring.

I'll spare you the details, but I'm needing to answer phone calls quickly. The obvious choice would be a headset but after a bit of research I've come across a handset lifter, which is intriguing. The only problem is that it presumably needs to be used in conjunction with a headset.

Is anyone aware of a headset lifter that is activated via a button, that would sit on a desk, without need for a headset? For example, push a button that you have right next to your keyboard which lifts the receiver, then you can pick the receiver up.

I don't like the idea of having to use/wear a headset. I field hundreds of calls daily so while it may sound dumb, the aggregate time saved will be well worth it.

Thanks for the help!

-J

Atcom VoIP Phones
VoIP Demo

Best VoIP Phones Canada

Visit Atcom to get started with your new business VoIP phone system ASAP
Turn up is quick, painless, and can often be done same day.
Let us show you how to do VoIP right, resulting in crystal clear call quality and easy-to-use features that make everyone happy!
Proudly serving Canada from coast to coast.

Some telephone systems (e.g. ESI) provide for a button to be programmed as a headset key. You don't even have to hear the ring, as soon as the key light flashes, push the headset key and the call is answered.

What phone system do you have?

Rcaman

Americom, Inc.
Where The Art And Science Of Communications Meet
OP Offline
Hi there,
Thanks for the reply! We have nortel t7316e phones.

On many telephone systems, each telephone is equipped with a speakerphone button that, when pressed, immediately answers the incoming call. The call is then on speakerphone. The time it takes to answer is limited only by your reaction time and physical acuity.

If you adjust the speakerphone volume to the lowest setting, (so as not to disturb the nearest worker) on an incoming call, you could punch the speakerphone button immediately to answer the call, then lift the handset and the call will be automatically transferred from speakerphone to the handset without any other action on your part.

I understand that you want to answer it "as quickly as possible" but I hope you realize that referring to "1/4" or "1/2" ring is not a realistic perception of how telephone systems work. It would require many minutes of typing to describe ringing cadences, Central Office vs PBX ringing, wink-start vs ground-start vs loop-start lines, etc. During a detailed and lengthy discussion, starting with your telling us much more information as to the who, where, why and what of your request, we might be able to come up with a perfect plan to address your requirements.

As one example, ground-start lines provide the called party with an electrical indication that an incoming call is present, BEFORE the ringing even starts. That would fall under the description of "0/0ths" of a ring.

There are sophisticated (and expensive) systems called "ACD" (Automatic Call Distributors) that detect and answer an incoming call, then assign the call, immediately, to the next available agent, without any ring at all. The calling party hears ringing, of course, but the agent does not. He simply hears a short duration tone to alert him that his telephone is "live" and he is then connected to the call automatically. These systems assume the use of headsets by the agents.

Arthur P. Bloom
"30 years of faithful service...15 years on hold"

Caller ID info is delivered between the first and second ring, so you'll miss out on that if you answer too soon.

Jim

You still have to push a button to activate handset lifter.
Just pickup handset or push Speaker.
With lifter you do 2 things to answer call.

Without it you do 1 thing.

"Caller ID info is delivered between the first and second ring, so you'll miss out on that if you answer too soon."

Excellent point, Jim.

Arthur P. Bloom
"30 years of faithful service...15 years on hold"

What are you doing that is so important that you have to be able to answer a cable within 1/4 to 1/2 of a ring?

I have always been under the impression that the number of rings you hear are not the same number that the calling party hears. I've made calls that I have heard no rings and the answering party had heard 3 rings.

Patrick T. Caezza
Santa Paula, CA 93060
C-7 - Low Voltage System Contractor - Lic# 992448
Headsets are specially designed for folks who answer "hundreds of calls" daily.

I have a phone system that will auto answer every call when you aren't busy.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  MooreTel 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums84
Topics94,288
Posts638,794
Members49,767
Most Online5,661
May 23rd, 2018
Popular Topics(Views)
212,350 Shoretel
188,999 CTX100 install
187,391 1a2 system
Newest Members
Robbks, A2A Networks, James D., Nadisale, andreww
49,767 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
Toner 23
teleco 7
dexman 5
dans 4
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 118 guests, and 391 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Contact Us | Sponsored by Atcom: One of the best VoIP Phone Canada Suppliers for your business telephone system!| Terms of Service

Sundance Communications is not affiliated with any of the above manufacturers. Sundance Phone System Forums - VOIP & Cloud Phone Help
©Copyright Sundance Communications 1998-2024