web statisticsweb stats Business Phone Systems Tech Talk Forum - VOIP & Cloud Phone Help

Business Phone Systems

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#585799 03/06/15 02:46 AM
OP Offline
Customer has a Sonicwall router connected to high speed internet, tested at 30Mbps down 11Mbps Up. I don't remember the hand-off from the ISP.

Another 3rd party service got involved saying that the connection to their cloud service is slow because the WAN port on the Sonicwall is not configured correctly. This other guy does not work for the ISP.

X1 WAN port set to Auto Negotiate. Status shows 100Mbps Full Duplex.
This other company's tech says this needs to be set to 100Mbps Full Duplex, but not Auto Negotiate.

I made the change off hours. The speed dropped in half. Multiple tests max out at 18Mbps down when set this way. When set back to Auto, speed jumps back to 30Mbps.

Does this prove that Auto Negotiate should be set for this port?

Atcom VoIP Phones
VoIP Demo

Best VoIP Phones Canada

Visit Atcom to get started with your new business VoIP phone system ASAP
Turn up is quick, painless, and can often be done same day.
Let us show you how to do VoIP right, resulting in crystal clear call quality and easy-to-use features that make everyone happy!
Proudly serving Canada from coast to coast.

Yes it should be set to auto negotiate. I have never had to change that setting. And I use SonicWall all the time.

OP Offline
Thanks. I will probably need to go onsite to check it out. I don't think any issue is related to the Sonicewall.

The simple answer to the question is does it speedtest to what the customer is paying for when the port is set to auto? If so, advise cloud vendor, ticket complete.

Jeff
Lead Field Engineer, MSCNS
Did you try it at half-duplex?

Auto Negotiate can cause more problems than it's worth. To many times it has set itself to the wrong mode and it's one of the first things to be checked when you are having speed issues.

What does the 3ed party mean by slow? If a speed test says you are doing 30Mbps down and 11Mbps up. The the problem is on the 3rd parties end.

Patrick T. Caezza
Santa Paula, CA 93060
C-7 - Low Voltage System Contractor - Lic# 992448
OP Offline

Under closer examination onsite, we found that there was a data switch between the Sonicwall router and the ISP's router. This data switch works ok with Auto Negotiate. When changing the speed to 100Mpbs Full duplex on the Sonicwall, the switch would revert to half duplex. I also see that the connection to the ISP router is also connected at half-duplex.

The switch is an unmanaged switch, so we are going to see if the carrier can switch to Auto-negotiate to match the data switch, or we will need to replace that switch with one that we can set to 100Mbvps full.

I don't think that removing this switch is an option because there appears to be 2 other routers connected.

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums84
Topics94,262
Posts638,695
Members49,757
Most Online5,661
May 23rd, 2018
Popular Topics(Views)
211,098 Shoretel
187,706 CTX100 install
186,794 1a2 system
Newest Members
BPopilek, Rich F, LewisR, TDKs79, Buttinset
49,757 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
dexman 18
Toner 14
TDKs79 8
pvj 4
Who's Online Now
3 members (Curlycord, JBean3329, mongo5150), 107 guests, and 255 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Contact Us | Sponsored by Atcom: One of the best VoIP Phone Canada Suppliers for your business telephone system!| Terms of Service

Sundance Communications is not affiliated with any of the above manufacturers. Sundance Phone System Forums - VOIP & Cloud Phone Help
©Copyright Sundance Communications 1998-2024