web statisticsweb stats Business Phone Systems Tech Talk Forum - VOIP & Cloud Phone Help

Business Phone Systems

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
OP Offline
Hello -
Equip: 8 port HyperEdge NIU, with 66 block demarc

Ran into an interesting problem when trying to extended two T-1s 15 feet to a router. The NIU slots 3/8 and 4/8 had no CPE connected to them. However slot 3/8 indicated normal operation (the PWR and ESF lights were on, no TLOS light). Slot 4/8 showed TLOS red on as expected. I swapped the two cards but the indicators did not change.
I proceeded to punch down my jacks onto the block and connect to the router. As expected on slot 4/8 the TLOS light went out and the circuit worked. The slot 3/8 circuit did not work. The Cisco 2900 router showed there was carrier but also alarm.
AT&T was on the bridge call and they were able to loop port 3/8, the LB light went orange, but they were not able to loop the Cisco DSU.
The previous circuit id that was on 3/8 was XBGQ091768 whereas most of our circuits start with HCGS.
Where are the configurations for a circuit set? Nothing is set in the NIU right?
Any help would be appreciated - thanks
PS - The NIU is connected to an ADC Remote Terminal which had MJ and MN alarms
Thanks

Atcom VoIP Phones
VoIP Demo

Best VoIP Phones Canada

Visit Atcom to get started with your new business VoIP phone system ASAP
Turn up is quick, painless, and can often be done same day.
Let us show you how to do VoIP right, resulting in crystal clear call quality and easy-to-use features that make everyone happy!
Proudly serving Canada from coast to coast.

Spam Hunter
Spam Hunter
A circuit ID starting with an "X"...to me...indicates a DS0 such as a stand alone 56k or 64k data circuit.

I Love FEATURE 00
HCGS is Bell Telephone/Bell Atlantic/Verizon designation of a high cap T circuit. A circuit with an X is a handoff circuit and is usually, but not always, a 56K v.37 circuit.

My guess would be Verizon never got out to install the 2nd circuit.

Rcaman

Americom, Inc.
Where The Art And Science Of Communications Meet
Take a look at the shelf itself and see if anything is plugged into the 3rd 8p8c jack on the NCTE mounting (SJ shelf). Those shelves can be wired out for handoff on a 25 pair block or the internal 8p8c jacks. A lot of the time vendors would just use the jacks instead wiring to the block.

Also, there is a dip switch that will change the handoff from an RJ48C (T1) to RJ48S (DS0). It should be configured as a RJ48C since the ADC Soneplex can only provide T1 service, but it might be worth seeing if you are able to tell how it is set.

OP Offline
This is older building and very likely there were 56K circuit there.

OP Offline
There were not any RJ jacks on this SJ shelf. Since I was going to just use a Cat5 patch cord to connect I was disappointed.
Where is a T-1 configured, not in the SJ right? The circuit just comes already configured to the SJ, and the only thing some SJ can do is LBO adjustments, right? -tnx

Last edited by George_J; 06/09/15 02:08 PM.
Spam Hunter
Spam Hunter
Smart jacks also provide an additional test point for remote troubleshooting purposes.

I Love FEATURE 00
Moderator-Vertical, Vodavi, 1A2, Outside Wire
Moderator-Vertical, Vodavi, 1A2, Outside Wire
Not to mention, you never know where Verizon will place them! Yep, 2,800 feet of OSP (CAT Zero) cable on the CPE side of this shelf. Eight years of them pointing the finger at us for CPE side failures. There's the proof:

[Linked Image from i98.photobucket.com]

Ed Vaughn, MBSWWYPBX
Originally Posted by EV607797
Not to mention, you never know where Verizon will place them! Yep, 2,800 feet of OSP (CAT Zero) cable on the CPE side of this shelf. Eight years of them pointing the finger at us for CPE side failures. There's the proof:

[Linked Image from i98.photobucket.com]

wow..... just wow.

Moderator-1A2, Cabling
Moderator-1A2, Cabling
Ed -

That takes laziness to a whole new level.

Unbelievable!

George -

As Dex said, The smart jack allows the provider an additional test point. In actuality, the main reason is the ability to remotely loop the circuit and test it, allowing remote testing - without having to roll a truck...

Sam

"Where are we going and why are we in this hand basket?"
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Silversam 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums84
Topics94,262
Posts638,696
Members49,757
Most Online5,661
May 23rd, 2018
Popular Topics(Views)
211,098 Shoretel
187,708 CTX100 install
186,794 1a2 system
Newest Members
BPopilek, Rich F, LewisR, TDKs79, Buttinset
49,757 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
dexman 18
Toner 12
TDKs79 8
pvj 4
Who's Online Now
2 members (Curlycord, Yoda), 138 guests, and 249 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Contact Us | Sponsored by Atcom: One of the best VoIP Phone Canada Suppliers for your business telephone system!| Terms of Service

Sundance Communications is not affiliated with any of the above manufacturers. Sundance Phone System Forums - VOIP & Cloud Phone Help
©Copyright Sundance Communications 1998-2024