web statisticsweb stats Business Phone Systems Tech Talk Forum - VOIP & Cloud Phone Help

Business Phone Systems

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
OP Offline
I know this is pretty far our there for 2015 - a model 186 W - a pretty old bird. However, I'm certain there has to be someone who has had some experience in repairing these dials.

At least, I hope there is someone with a good suggestion!

For reference to this problem, I have been using another 186 that I recently acquired.

My 186 W's dial was stuck, so I took it apart to clean it. Upon reassembly, I noticed that I had the little block of contacts in the wrong place. At this moment, the phone could not dial the numbers 2,5,8, and 0. Everything else worked fine. This contact block is shown in picture A

Now, upon fixing the contact arrangement,referencing from another 186, nothing seems to work. Upon pressing a button, there is a little pop and a lessening of volume on the line. No audible tone can be heard. Upon removing the contact block completely, nothing is heard when pressing a button.

PICTURE A
[Linked Image from i57.tinypic.com]

I have had the dial apart now twice, and cannot seem to identify anything wrong with the dial. There are no noticeable contacts out of place.

I have included some pictures hoping to help users identify my dial. I'm hoping you may see an error and are able to aid me in fixing my dial.

PICTURE B
[Linked Image from i59.tinypic.com]

PICTURE C
[Linked Image from i58.tinypic.com]

I really appreciate any advice that is to be shared.

Last edited by PartyLIne4; 09/01/15 06:06 PM.
Atcom VoIP Phones
VoIP Demo

Best VoIP Phones Canada

Visit Atcom to get started with your new business VoIP phone system ASAP
Turn up is quick, painless, and can often be done same day.
Let us show you how to do VoIP right, resulting in crystal clear call quality and easy-to-use features that make everyone happy!
Proudly serving Canada from coast to coast.

OP Offline
Possibly the problem.

Burnt transistor leg

[Linked Image from i59.tinypic.com]

I'll be back in a bit!

Moderator-Vertical, Vodavi, 1A2, Outside Wire
Moderator-Vertical, Vodavi, 1A2, Outside Wire
Originally Posted by PartyLIne4
My 186 W's dial was stuck, so I took it apart to clean it. Upon reassembly, I noticed that I had the little block of contacts in the wrong place. At this moment, the phone could not dial the numbers 2,5,8, and 0. Everything else worked fine. This contact block is shown in picture A

Now, upon fixing the contact arrangement,referencing from another 186, nothing seems to work. Upon pressing a button, there is a little pop and a lessening of volume on the line. No audible tone can be heard. Upon removing the contact block completely, nothing is heard when pressing a button.

I'm not a GTE/Automatic Electric guy, but all mechanical DTMF dials, regardless of manufacturer, operated on the same general concept. Your 2,5,8,0 issue was the result of one of the sets of contacts around the outer perimeter of the dial that corresponds with the pressing of one of these digits. Each digit operates two sets of contacts to create dual tones (DTMF). One set of vertical and one set of horizontal contacts are closed to blend two tones together. Sounds as if your faulty contacts are located at the top or bottom edge of the dial pad.

As for the second part: On the back of the dial (picture A), one set of normally-open contacts 'turns on' the dial, as in these contacts close whenever any button is pressed to power the oscillators. That set of contacts is either not closing, or your suspected transistor leg is the culprit.

The click/mute of audio when a button is pressed is proper operation. This is an intentional muting circuit to prevent loud tones from being returned to the receiver. This is the result of another set of contacts (also in picture A) that places a resistor across the receiver unit in the handset. This set of contacts is going to be adjacent to the ones on the back of the dial as the one mentioned above. They may be N/O or N/C depending upon the circuit design. The tones are very loud when generated by the dial, so they have to be muted to prevent discomfort when holding the handset to the ear. From what you've said, those contacts seem to be working properly.

You sound like you're on the right track otherwise.

Ed Vaughn, MBSWWYPBX
OP Offline
Thanks a bunch EV!

I have learned so much about these dials in the past couple of days.

The transistor leg actually popped loose from its joint during my "rough" handling of it. smile

I soldered her up and she works like a charm!

Wonderful!

Again, I really appreciate, and will definitely refer to your provided information!

Last edited by PartyLIne4; 09/03/15 12:44 AM.

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums84
Topics94,262
Posts638,697
Members49,757
Most Online5,661
May 23rd, 2018
Popular Topics(Views)
211,100 Shoretel
187,712 CTX100 install
186,800 1a2 system
Newest Members
BPopilek, Rich F, LewisR, TDKs79, Buttinset
49,757 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
dexman 18
Toner 11
TDKs79 8
teleco 4
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 140 guests, and 24 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Contact Us | Sponsored by Atcom: One of the best VoIP Phone Canada Suppliers for your business telephone system!| Terms of Service

Sundance Communications is not affiliated with any of the above manufacturers. Sundance Phone System Forums - VOIP & Cloud Phone Help
©Copyright Sundance Communications 1998-2024