web statisticsweb stats Business Phone Systems Tech Talk Forum - VOIP & Cloud Phone Help

Business Phone Systems

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
OP Offline
I have, what I think anyway, a strange problem. We use TA 908 gateways and this is the only site where this problem occurs.

We have a T-1 providing ISDN-PRI service to a site. The gateway is used to connect the PRI to a PBX that can only be configured with SIP trunks. This part works perfectly.

The problem is when the gateway experiences a power failure or the T1 goes out of service, the T1 interface will go to Yellow Alarm. It can be recovered by using CLI to loop up then loop down the network. My saving grace is I have remote access to the gateway so I can quickly get the site up but I shouldn't have to do this.

I opened a case with Adtran and the engineer said that if we put a hard loop on the interface and it goes to up, this eliminates the hardware. We did this loopback including the cable that connects to the NID and it passed.

After much effort, we were able to arrange a vendor meet with the LEC. We showed the technician our trouble. The technician said there is nothing wrong with the circuit because when he connects his T-BERT it goes right to up. He was also kind enough to "back to back" with the gateway. When we did this, the gateway went to UP instead of sticking on Yellow Alarm. I pointed out that if the gateway was bad we should have expected the same result of the interface going to Yellow Alarm but this was brushed aside by, "I can connect my tester to the NID and it comes right up."

I can't disagree with the logic but I am also not 100% convinced there is not an issue upstream from us. I am going to try another gateway just to try and save face with the customer. I don't care if I look dumb, I just want this fixed.

Any ideas? My thinking is that a Yellow Alarm on my interface means something upstream from me is not working. I find it strange that looping then not looping the T1 clears the trouble immediately. I am further encouraged by the fact that connecting the the T1 test set goes right to UP. Since this is a physical layer issue it must (at least in my mind) be a service provider problem.

We have tried a new cable from the gateway to the NID, the NID is about 25 cable feet from the gateway. The entrance terminal for the site is in the same room as the NID and is approximately 25 cable feet away with no splices or obvious defects, and the LEC technician was kind enough to try changing the card in the NID. I was not able to convince them to try the cold spare unfortunately.

My goal is to get this customer to work like every other T1 I have ever worked with. The challenge will be proving to the LEC it is not CPE equipment. I am keeping an open mind though and, as explained earlier, will try a new gateway.

Thank you in advance for your assistance.

Mike Meyer

Michael Meyer
Atcom VoIP Phones
VoIP Demo

Best VoIP Phones Canada

Visit Atcom to get started with your new business VoIP phone system ASAP
Turn up is quick, painless, and can often be done same day.
Let us show you how to do VoIP right, resulting in crystal clear call quality and easy-to-use features that make everyone happy!
Proudly serving Canada from coast to coast.

You're receiving a Yellow, meaning the far end equipment is seeing no signal. You loop it up and after releasing it clears, which to me means the far end equipment will sync to itself and releasing the loop causes your equipment to re-sync to the far end. I'm betting if you unplug from the NID wait a few seconds and plug it back in it will also re-sync. The best way to trouble shoot this would be to see if there is a signal from your equipment when you see the yellow by bridging into the circuit or putting a monitor on it. If you see a signal yet still receive the yellow the trouble is beyond you, a monitor could also be put at the NID.

I assume the LEC has remote testing capabilities on this, they could also see what signals they are getting when you see the yellow. Of course that takes the cooperation of the LEC.

Retired phone dude
My first thought is that the LEC is not sending the transition reset bit. The only way to see that is if the LEC comes back out, connects the T-Berd in the system in bridge mode, then have the CO yellow alarm the circuit and then have the CO restore the circuit. The tech should see the transition reset bit and your system should respond with an ack bit. Then do the same from the site and see, when your system sends the transition bit, the CO acks the sent bit with an ack bit.

Some systems use the same bit for the transition bit and the ack bit, so you may not see two different bits, but you should see the CO and your system sending bits to each other. If only ONE is missing, the circuit will not come up automatically.

Rcaman

Americom, Inc.
Where The Art And Science Of Communications Meet
OP Offline
Gentlemen - Thank you for your responses. I thought I knew T1 really well but, I have to admit, I am not too familiar with some of this.

We have a Sunrise T10 Tester so I should be able to insert the tester into the circuit in bridge mode and make some of these observations myself yes?

In what I am hoping is the simple fix, I am going to try replacing the unit just to see. If the new unit works (which I honestly don't expect), then I can bring the gateway back to our shop and tinker with it there.

Thank you again and, anything you can offer to further advance my knowledge, is appreciated!

Mike

Michael Meyer
Spam Hunter
Spam Hunter
Often a Central Office switch can send a Yellow Alarm when the carrier is removed from service. A switch can generate a Yellow Alarm if error thresholds are exceeded. It depends on how the carriers are provisioned in the CO switch.

I Love FEATURE 00
Moderator-1A2, Cabling
Moderator-1A2, Cabling
Well it's either the equipment on either end or the circuit itself. Have you stress tested the T-1? Sometimes the circuit will go out and not reset by itself.

How is the circuit configured ? (AMI, B8ZS etc.). Test the hell out of the circuit, loop up the far end and then run the tests - All 1s, then All 0s (if it's B8ZS) then 3-24, then QRS.

If that passes, have the LEC go Head-to-Head with you (tester to tester, no equipment at each end. Prove the circuit and then work on the equipment.

Sam

"Where are we going and why are we in this hand basket?"
If your tester can read the patterns, then, yes, you should be able to see the data.

I had several PRI circuits that would do weird things like you are describing. The circuits originated in Verizon territory and terminated in Windstream territory. It was a nightmare to deal with as Verizon looked good and, at the terminating Co for Windstream, the circuit looked good. After I brought my Fireberd to the meet, it was discovered that, somewhere in Windstream's circuits, the circuit went from B8ZS to AMI and then back again. How did it work at all? Go figure. It took several months and a LOT of vendor meets to finally nail the problems down. I have to congratulate the Verizon tech in the Bala Cynwyd special Circuits group that worked on the trouble ticket all the way through and did identify the Windstream problem.

Don't give up. In my case, Windstream kept sending techs with multimeters to test the circuit. It wasn't until I put a Fireberd on the circuit and proved to Windstream's foreman the problem was in the circuit not my equipment.

Rcaman

Americom, Inc.
Where The Art And Science Of Communications Meet
OP Offline
Once again - Thank you for all the advice. I will let you know what transpires. ~ Mike

Michael Meyer
OP Offline
As promised, a status update. Replacing the unit resulted in no difference as I expected. My colleague and I were racking our brains. We combed through the config and nothing.

I noticed in the configuration commands for the T1 interface there was a command to disable Remote Alarm Indication. I figured we have nothing to lose trying this and disabled RAI. The T1 came up and would recover on LOS and power failure.

I ran this past the Adtran engineer and he called it a "band-aid that might hold". He still believes there is something faulty upstream from us or in the CO but I don't think we are going to convince the LEC to check those things based on the last vendor meet. I will just have to be happy with this solution. Main thing is the customer will be up after some type of failure not related to the gateway.

Big thank you to Justbill, Rcaman, and Silversam. Your advice was in the back of my mind and, while I didn't break out the tester yet, it definitely helped fire off the brain cell to prompt trying a command related to yellow alarms. ~ Mike

Michael Meyer

Moderated by  Silversam 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums84
Topics94,262
Posts638,696
Members49,757
Most Online5,661
May 23rd, 2018
Popular Topics(Views)
211,098 Shoretel
187,708 CTX100 install
186,794 1a2 system
Newest Members
BPopilek, Rich F, LewisR, TDKs79, Buttinset
49,757 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
dexman 18
Toner 12
TDKs79 8
teleco 4
Who's Online Now
2 members (Curlycord, Toner), 102 guests, and 245 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Contact Us | Sponsored by Atcom: One of the best VoIP Phone Canada Suppliers for your business telephone system!| Terms of Service

Sundance Communications is not affiliated with any of the above manufacturers. Sundance Phone System Forums - VOIP & Cloud Phone Help
©Copyright Sundance Communications 1998-2024