web statisticsweb stats Business Phone Systems Tech Talk Forum - VOIP & Cloud Phone Help

Business Phone Systems

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Rain Offline OP
OP Offline
Hello,

I am extending a POTS line from a 66 block to a rack mounted patch panel. I punched down the blue pair on the 66 block, extended with Cat5 to the patch panel and punched with a 568B config, but when I plug my buttset into the port, I do not get a dial tone. Not sure what I might be doing wrong it seems pretty straight forward, any advice? thanks

Atcom VoIP Phones
VoIP Demo

Best VoIP Phones Canada

Visit Atcom to get started with your new business VoIP phone system ASAP
Turn up is quick, painless, and can often be done same day.
Let us show you how to do VoIP right, resulting in crystal clear call quality and easy-to-use features that make everyone happy!
Proudly serving Canada from coast to coast.

What kind of a 66 block is it? Some are split and require bridge clips to complete the connection. If I don't have my glasses on I can misalign the wiring.

Have you checked for dial tone at the 66 block? With and without the "house" wiring? At the demarc?

Some modular adapters don't fit the patch panel well and can be the issue--pull the wire off of the patch and test the wires themselves.

Rain Offline OP
OP Offline
the cat5 off the 66 block in the suite to the patch panel has dial tone but when I terminate to PP using the 568B config and plug my banjo into the port with my butsett, I do not have dial tone. I have even tried a different port location, I know when I terminate with 568B my pinout should line up with the RJ11 jack from the Banjo & butsett so Idon't know why I don not have dial tone

It all boils down to this:

If you want dial tone on a RJ-45 8c8p jack, positions 4 and 5 must be connected to your dial tone source.

According to your original post, you terminated the white/blue blue/white pair of your cat 5 cable to the 66 block. Do you have dial tone on the white/blue blue/white pair at the location where you want to terminate the cat 5 cable on the patch panel? It's easy enough to test. Strip the insulation off the white/blue blue/white and clip your butt set on the pair. Is there dial tone on that pair?

If there is dial tone on the white/blue blue/white pair, then it is an easy matter to terminate the white/blue blue/white leads on positions 4 and 5. If the connections are made and you tested and have dial tone on the pair, and if you still can't detect dial tone with your testing shoe, then you either have a defective jack or a defective testing shoe.

Rcaman

Americom, Inc.
Where The Art And Science Of Communications Meet
Call a phone installer. This is not user level. vvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvv

Vaya con Dios amigos!
Butch
Moderator-Vodavi, Vertical, XBlue
Moderator-Vodavi, Vertical, XBlue
What Rcaman said. All I have to add is that if you have dial tone at one point and not the other, check your continuity.

- Dave S. -

You can never appease your ideologue opponents.

I see this as Troubleshooting 101:

1) Verify Dial-tone to 66 Block (apparently already done)
2) Verify Dial-tone out from 66 Block - hook your buttset to the output terms verifying that you are not on opposite sides of a split block, also visually check for "off by half a pair". If possible, use your bed-of-nails to hook directly to the blue pair right after the 66 Block. I've had used 66 blocks that have had the contacts spread enought that they don't bite the wire properly.
3) Verify Dial-tone at far end of Cable before connecting to patch panel. Note: some cables have whites that have very little color, are you sure you have Blue/White on both ends.
4) Finally connect your cable to the patch panel and make sure you are not miswiring by checking pin 1 to (2 thru 8), then 2 to (3 thru 8) etc.

The above should point to where the issue lies - poor contact at the 66 Block, bad cable, or bad/miswired path panel port.

Moderated by  Silversam 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums84
Topics94,262
Posts638,696
Members49,757
Most Online5,661
May 23rd, 2018
Popular Topics(Views)
211,098 Shoretel
187,710 CTX100 install
186,795 1a2 system
Newest Members
BPopilek, Rich F, LewisR, TDKs79, Buttinset
49,757 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
dexman 18
Toner 11
TDKs79 8
jc2it 4
teleco 4
Who's Online Now
1 members (Toner), 163 guests, and 239 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Contact Us | Sponsored by Atcom: One of the best VoIP Phone Canada Suppliers for your business telephone system!| Terms of Service

Sundance Communications is not affiliated with any of the above manufacturers. Sundance Phone System Forums - VOIP & Cloud Phone Help
©Copyright Sundance Communications 1998-2024