web statisticsweb stats

Business Phone Systems

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
No one is preaching here. It's just common observation. If you WANT to be more than a cable jockey, then learn some skills and don't take offense at helpful suggestions.

The simple fact is the telecommunications field is a technical field and there are multiple disciplines of learning in which one must have some skill to Adequately perform the job.

The answers to the questions are all available (except for the ones that are trick questions) and easily found with a little study and time. What the people on this forum are suggesting is that you take it on yourself to find the answers by STUDYING like we ALL had to do.

Rcaman

Americom, Inc.
Where The Art And Science Of Communications Meet
Atcom VoIP Phones
VoIP Demo

Best VoIP Phones Canada

Visit Atcom to get started with your new business VoIP phone system ASAP
Turn up is quick, painless, and can often be done same day.
Let us show you how to do VoIP right, resulting in crystal clear call quality and easy-to-use features that make everyone happy!
Proudly serving Canada from coast to coast.

matt185 Offline OP
OP Offline
It's only you bro not everyone , I really doubt you know the answers though if you do I'll PayPal you something if u can help me out

Admin
Admin
Rather than make it a challenge, why don't you tell us what you know? Take the quiz in this forum and we'll grade it with comments.

Carl

If there was a trick question in the 14, I didn't see it. Some of them called for judgement, but no tricks.

Last edited by Carl Navarro; 09/10/16 06:37 PM.
matt185 Offline OP
OP Offline
I'd thought I would make it fun cuz I don't know it but WTF is the point of a forum if all ur gonna do is preach

Ever hear the expression "you can give a man a fish and he will eat for a day but if you teach a man to fish he can eat for a lifetime"?

Believe me, everyone here knows the answers and with a little work you can too. For example the answer to question #1 could be found in about 10 seconds by Googling the Side Kick User Manual. Other questions are common sense especially those about cable and grounding which you should know as a sat/cable installer.

I have never run a ground for a pole but I have seen plenty of them. So want to know the answer to #3? Go look at some poles.

-Hal

Matt, other than my first answer to your question, I have stayed out of this discussion. I am known for my patience with difficult people, up to a point, and then, I'm afraid, I become less tolerant. So, here comes the less-tolerant part:

I am not sure of your age or level of education. I am not sure if English is your native language. I am not sure that you understand what all these experienced and intelligent folks are trying to tell you. If you can read and understand the previous sentences, then we can continue the discussion in a meaningful way. Please compare my method of typing a message with yours. Mine uses capitalization, phrasing, correct spelling, and punctuation. Yours does not. I would not hire you based simply on your lack of command of the language and your argumentative and hostile manner. I would never let you loose at a subscriber's house or business, considering the way you approach a conversation.

Your method of communicating is belligerent. (Google it). One does not refer to gentlemen whom one has not met as "bro."

While I agree with my fellow technicians here, that the test, as stated by you, is not the best or brightest way to evaluate an entry-level person, I must agree with them that asking us to tell you the answers is not the best way for you to learn our trade. I will re-iterate what I stated earlier: To be able to answer these questions requires some field experience.

Your challenge to one of my friends that you pay him money if he can answer the questions is just insulting. He has a job, and knows the answers. You do not have the job, and you apparently do not know the answers. If he tells you the answers, how will you know if he's correct?

Come back when you have removed the chip on your shoulder, and are ready to speak in a civilized way to us. You need to learn some manners.

And, by the way, the answers are as follows:

1 - 1
2 - 2
3 - 3
4 - 3
5 - 4 (not exactly correct, but close)
6 - 3
7 - 4
8 - asks about "terminals" and the answers are type of wire/cable. The correct answer is 6-pair Buried Service Wire, or BSW, run to the nearest buried splice, pedestal, or pole. Any multi-conductor materiel is referred to as "wire" if 6-pairs or less, and as "cable" above 6 pairs. Cable is always referred to in the number of pairs. There is no such thing as "twenty-cable" in our industry.

9 - 2
10 - all of the answers are correct
11 - 4
12 - 2
13 - 4
14 - 3

My PayPal account address is [email protected]. I would say that $60 would be appropriate.

Arthur P. Bloom
"30 years of faithful service...15 years on hold"

Here are some more, and, I hope, more meaningful questions:

What is the nominal voltage for a POTS line?

What is the voltage and frequency of ringing current?

Why do we use a twisted pair?

What is an exclusion circuit, and how is it wired?

What effect, if any, does a reversed pair cause?

What symptom(s) are heard when testing an unbalanced pair?

You are testing a cable pair for a POTS line. At one point you clip on the pair and hear a hum. Further down the line, you clip on and hear static. What fault condition are you likely to find?

What is a counter-cell?

What is a CEV?

When do you have the right-of-way when driving a Verizon vehicle?

Arthur P. Bloom

Moderator-Nortel, Computers, General
Moderator-Nortel, Computers, General
Bet you never see a dime Arthur...

Scientists say that the universe is made up of Protons, Neutron & Electrons. They forgot "Morons".
Dave. (CTUB) Canadian Techs Use Bix!
When do you wear safety-glasses?

What is an MDF and what is an IDF?

How do you determine the ownership of a joint-use pole?

What are load coils, and what do they do?

What gauges of wire are generally used in subscriber cable?

What color is the 51st pair in a 50-pair cable?

How does the medical term "interstitial" apply in telephony?

What is the difference between a carbon protector and a heat coil?

What is a bridging head?

What is a LARP circuit?

Before entering a manhole, what procedures must be followed?

What is the difference between an FXS and an FXO?

What is the difference between ANA and ANI?

How often must climbers (gaffs) be inspected?

What does the RJ in RJ-14 stand for?

You are installing a 6-pair BSW. What do you do to the 4th and 5th pairs at the pedestal or buried splice end of the wire. Why?

Describe capacitance as it applies to telephone transmission cable.

How many chest compressions per minute does one apply to a victim who is not breathing?

Describe where the terms Tip and Ring come from.

What is the difference between grounded ringing and metallic ringing?

What does the acronym "DIY" mean on a service order?

Who is buried in Grant's Tomb?

Arthur P. Bloom

What is a varistor?

What does PIC stand for?

When is it appropriate to use flooded cable in aerial service?

Up to how many feet of flooded entrance cable can be run in a building?

Why aren't manhole covers square?

What does the M in 66M50 stand for?

Name one of the three men at Bell Labs who invented the transistor.

If a subscriber offers you a tip, what is the correct response?

Why do some systems use ground-start trunks?

Describe REN.

Why do we use 1004 Hz instead of 1000 Hz for testing trunks?

What is DTMF? MF? 10PPS?

What is an RJ45?

What is a diode bridge?

What documents and equipment must be carried and presented to a DOT inspector when you are driving a bucket truck?

What is open wire?

What binder group and pair color is pair 183?

When splicing paper cable, what is the mnemonic for arranging the groups?

What is a Picabond machine?

What can happen if the ground wire comes loose from a protector?

How often must a reading be taken from a gasimeter being used in a cable vault?

What is the meaning of a drop wire being run "out of limits" ?

Which one of the following terms does not belong in the group: J-hook, P-tie, ram's horn, B-connector

The preceding questions are some of those that I used when I was an instructor at the phone company. If you can answer 50% correctly, I will refund the $60.

Arthur P. Bloom

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  MooreTel 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums84
Topics94,284
Posts638,771
Members49,765
Most Online5,661
May 23rd, 2018
Popular Topics(Views)
211,457 Shoretel
188,314 CTX100 install
187,088 1a2 system
Newest Members
Nadisale, andreww, gohunt, Darrick, telecopippo
49,764 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
Toner 23
teleco 5
jc2it 4
dans 3
dexman 2
Who's Online Now
2 members (jkmartin, KRRath), 133 guests, and 297 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Contact Us | Sponsored by Atcom: One of the best VoIP Phone Canada Suppliers for your business telephone system!| Terms of Service

Sundance Communications is not affiliated with any of the above manufacturers. Sundance Phone System Forums - VOIP & Cloud Phone Help
©Copyright Sundance Communications 1998-2024