web statisticsweb stats Business Phone Systems Tech Talk Forum - VOIP & Cloud Phone Help

Business Phone Systems

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
OP Offline
Hi,

I'm an end user who loves phone systems so I know a little about them, but not too much. I had a problem with hum/static at the NID in my basement.

Here is an entry on my repair ticket written by the tech:

====
There is x battery going into the house per the meter.
There was a pblm on the F2.
He sees x batt on the line going to the house.
NID is inside.
There looks to be a pblm going to ward the inside tho-
Notes say demarc in basement RJ11C jack:
====

Here are my questions:

1. F2 is the box where the "big cable" from the B Box gets split out for the drop to my house, is that right?

2. They seem to be saying that the problem is between that box and my Network Interface Device, which is in my basement. Is that right? In other words, the drop?

3. What does "x battery going into the house per the meter" mean?

Thanks guys!

CC

Atcom VoIP Phones
VoIP Demo

Best VoIP Phones Canada

Visit Atcom to get started with your new business VoIP phone system ASAP
Turn up is quick, painless, and can often be done same day.
Let us show you how to do VoIP right, resulting in crystal clear call quality and easy-to-use features that make everyone happy!
Proudly serving Canada from coast to coast.

Moderator-Avaya, Polycom
Moderator-Avaya, Polycom
1???
2 yes
3 There is battery on the pair going to your house?

This is there problem not yours.

Spam Hunter
Spam Hunter
I had to do some digging as my memory of cabling terminology is very rusty from being out of the industry for over four years.

The F1 cable would be located between the Central Office and a neighborhood crossbox. From there, the F2 cables fan out to the buildings.

So, the LEC has cleared the F1 cable and there is a problem with the F2 pair.

If spare F2 pairs are available, the LEC will move your line. If not, pairs will need to be repaired.

Verizon is taking a different approach in areas where FiOS is available. Chronic customers are moved off of copper onto fiber and the old copper plant is abandoned in place.

I Love FEATURE 00
"x" is sometimes shorthand for cross or crossed, if that helps at all...

Jim Bennett
==================================================
Please hit "Enter" twice, it's a long way to Utah.

OP Offline
Thanks -- this happens a lot and he did ask if we have Fios in the neighborhood, so maybe they will move me.

I'm really confused about battery on line!

T&R is reversed maybe?

-Hal

CALIFORNIA PROPOSITION 65 WARNING: Some comments made by me are known to the State of California to cause irreversible brain damage and serious mental disorders leading to confinement.
Normally, "Battery on Line" or "Wet Line" refers to a line with no dial tone but if you blow into the connected test set, you will hear sidetone. Around here, this happens a lot on copper. It can be caused by split pairs or an open splice that has gotten wet and is bridging several live circuits.

Depending on where you are, Verizon will, most likely, if it's available, switch you to FiOS. Verizon seems to have abandoned copper and will do everything they can to not repair it. It's a shame, really. Copper built the modern telecommunications system and, if properly maintained, will continue to provide reliable service for another century.

Rcaman

Americom, Inc.
Where The Art And Science Of Communications Meet
Originally Posted by Rcaman
Normally, "Battery on Line" or "Wet Line" refers to a line with no dial tone but if you blow into the connected test set, you will hear sidetone. Around here, this happens a lot on copper. It can be caused by split pairs or an open splice that has gotten wet and is bridging several live circuits.

Depending on where you are, Verizon will, most likely, if it's available, switch you to FiOS. Verizon seems to have abandoned copper and will do everything they can to not repair it. It's a shame, really. Copper built the modern telecommunications system and, if properly maintained, will continue to provide reliable service for another century.

Rcaman

They don't care. It's a damn shame.

Trump 2020
Proud 1 star member.
How many telephone lines do you pay for in this house?

Before you called the telephone company, did you open the NID and plug in a known, working telephone?

If so, how did the line sound?

X-battery going toward the house will be almost an impossibility if you have only one line. I suspect that the "technician" mis-read the meter and saw, instead, a ground, or a slight ground, called an "escape".

What type of service wire feeds your house? Buried? Aerial?

Arthur P. Bloom
"30 years of faithful service...15 years on hold"

...crickets...

Arthur P. Bloom
"30 years of faithful service...15 years on hold"

Moderated by  MooreTel 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums84
Topics94,262
Posts638,696
Members49,757
Most Online5,661
May 23rd, 2018
Popular Topics(Views)
211,098 Shoretel
187,707 CTX100 install
186,794 1a2 system
Newest Members
BPopilek, Rich F, LewisR, TDKs79, Buttinset
49,757 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
dexman 18
Toner 12
TDKs79 8
teleco 4
Who's Online Now
1 members (nonameyet), 110 guests, and 222 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Contact Us | Sponsored by Atcom: One of the best VoIP Phone Canada Suppliers for your business telephone system!| Terms of Service

Sundance Communications is not affiliated with any of the above manufacturers. Sundance Phone System Forums - VOIP & Cloud Phone Help
©Copyright Sundance Communications 1998-2024