web statisticsweb stats Business Phone Systems Tech Talk Forum - VOIP & Cloud Phone Help

Business Phone Systems

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Snorri Offline OP
OP Offline
Hi all, I have searched here and on Google and I cannot find any information regarding the actual 550.5233 box and the 8-port and Win2K and OS2 variations. Is there somewhere these options are documented? It looks like I am stuck supporting this system for a while so I am looking to pick up an identical box to have as backup. I plan on using Clonezilla to clone the hard drive, and then I could just swap into another 550.5233/compatible box to continue running.

Basically I have found a 550.5233 box on eBay for $1500, but I just can't imagine spending that if there are other options. For instance, there is a snazzy looking rackmount Intertel box on eBay for $300 which looks similar...but clearly I do not know enough about it.

If someone could help me find the documentation and information regarding the actually hardware, and what I need for emergency backup, I would appreciate it.

Atcom VoIP Phones
VoIP Demo

Best VoIP Phones Canada

Visit Atcom to get started with your new business VoIP phone system ASAP
Turn up is quick, painless, and can often be done same day.
Let us show you how to do VoIP right, resulting in crystal clear call quality and easy-to-use features that make everyone happy!
Proudly serving Canada from coast to coast.

The VPC (ie. part 550.5233) is a PC system. Granted a very very old one, with a lot of ISA bus slots, enough to hold all your voice and FAX cards. Having tried to source something in the past, it was far easier to buy a spare VPC with the hardware I needed, rather than try to build up parts. Especially now that buying a PC with like say 6 ISA slots would be crap shoot to find the lucky pot of gold. It is possible that the 'Inter Tel Voice Mail Server Rack mount' on eBay is a rackmount form of the VPC. The description seems sane, the blury screen shot looks appropriate.

If it ran Windows2000 vs. OS/2 depends on the version of Axxess code you need to run, very early ones ran on OS/2 (maybe up to v4.x of Axxess software? IIRC?), while later ones ran on Windows 2000.

That indeed was my strategy, had a spare VPC for when my main one died. Which it did. And I then swapped in my spare. I guess going forward, we plan on upgrading before the total death of the system. Depending on what you need, and how much effor t it takes, $1500 goes a long way to a new system.

Snorri Offline OP
OP Offline
First, thanks for the helpful reply.

The same company which had the exact model also has this for $450:

https://www.pcliquidations.com/p19760-inter-tel-axxess-550

The only part that seems different is that is an "8-port" and mine is a "12-port". For the life of me I do not see where this makes a different on the rear of the PC! Is this some sort of logic that the Intertel software uses for licensing?

Here is a shot of the rear of our production unit:
https://imgur.com/a/KydTI

I mean, it looks like we are only using the 1 serial and 1 "OPC PCM PORT". The $450 unit above certainly has the ports for it...am I crazy?

I think the number of ports refers to how many voicemail channels may be in use at a time.

Correct, the number of ports is how many concurrent voice-mail channels are going at a time. This isn't just the number of concurrent calls leaving a message, remember the VPU also does announcements, call routing, queues, etc. So, all that processing is something eating a channel inside the VPU. Although a port isn't tied up for the whole call duration.

The number of ports on the VPU is directly related to how many DSP cards you have, and how many DSPs are on each card. More DSPs gets you more channels.

IIRC, there are 2 port cards, 4 port cards & 8 port cards. Inter-Tel may not have sold the 2-port cards, but the company they OEM'd them from did. There was also a FAX card that may or may not be installed in the VPU. All hooked over the internal ribbon cable bus to the AIC card.

Snorri Offline OP
OP Offline
This is EXACTLY the info I was looking for! Thank you!

Moderated by  Stix1 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums84
Topics94,262
Posts638,697
Members49,757
Most Online5,661
May 23rd, 2018
Popular Topics(Views)
211,100 Shoretel
187,712 CTX100 install
186,800 1a2 system
Newest Members
BPopilek, Rich F, LewisR, TDKs79, Buttinset
49,757 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
dexman 18
Toner 11
TDKs79 8
teleco 4
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 140 guests, and 24 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Contact Us | Sponsored by Atcom: One of the best VoIP Phone Canada Suppliers for your business telephone system!| Terms of Service

Sundance Communications is not affiliated with any of the above manufacturers. Sundance Phone System Forums - VOIP & Cloud Phone Help
©Copyright Sundance Communications 1998-2024