web statisticsweb stats Business Phone Systems Tech Talk Forum - VOIP & Cloud Phone Help

Business Phone Systems

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#604813 10/17/16 01:30 AM
Bruno Offline OP
OP Offline
I "manage" as a volunteer the wiring and systems for phone, PA, computers and power in a non-profit summer camp in Maine. This includes the outside plant. We have 24 buildings scattered on a 1 square mile property, with many 600-feet cable runs in trees and utility poles.

Last week-end we had a 800-foot cable run, replacing a bunch of old phone and PA speaker wires that were strung (not lashed) 10 to 20 years ago by my predecessors.

I'm trying to bring order to the chaos and apply some better practices, such as lashing cables to a messenger strand, routing cables away from power lines, using waterproof junction boxes, etc.

This being a non-profit, budget is tight. We can afford 1/8" strand, not 5/16". We can't afford specialized hardware and a lasher is out of question.

But I still needed to lash 800 ft of cable, and we could rent a bucket truck for only 2 days, so I had to come up with a solution.

Behold, my homemade lasher.

[img]https://photos.google.com/share/AF1...anBDdGZueXNXMHltLUlGTzkxSnNVdUNUeklrSWFB[/img]

I made it out of 40$ worth of 1 1/4" PVC pipe and fittings. It uses spools made with PVC pipe and discs machined on a lathe.

[img]https://photos.google.com/share/AF1...anBDdGZueXNXMHltLUlGTzkxSnNVdUNUeklrSWFB[/img]

The body was glued together and then sliced in half on a table saw. The two halves are snapped together over the cable bundle and held together using worm gear hose clamps.

The device was built hastily in a few hours. There was no time for testing. A standard 1200' reel of lashing wire was transferred to two homemade spools.

It was used extensively over during two days, including a miserable rainy day. It performed flawlessly with no need for repair or modification.

More pictures and details are available here: Google album

Look for tiny comments at the bottom of pictures.

Edit: I don't know why my pictures don't show up in the text.

Atcom VoIP Phones
VoIP Demo

Best VoIP Phones Canada

Visit Atcom to get started with your new business VoIP phone system ASAP
Turn up is quick, painless, and can often be done same day.
Let us show you how to do VoIP right, resulting in crystal clear call quality and easy-to-use features that make everyone happy!
Proudly serving Canada from coast to coast.

Moderator-1A2, Cabling
Moderator-1A2, Cabling
I'm very impressed! Good job!

Thank you for volunteering at a non-profit.

Sam

"Where are we going and why are we in this hand basket?"
Spam Hunter
Spam Hunter
You can upload the pictures to the Photos forum and link them from there. Bill did it recently with his Granny picture. It is uploaded to the Photos forum and he linked to it in a post in the Phone Booth. smile

I Love FEATURE 00
Bruno Offline OP
OP Offline
Thanks for the tip, as the rabbi said.
Too late for editing my post again, so I'll just add pictures here.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Looks like it did the job needed and not near as heavy as a lasher.

Retired phone dude
That's pretty impressive. Don't be too surprised if anyone else makes one like that for his tool box, too.

Admin
Admin
Pretty darn impressive indeed!

[Linked Image]
Bruno Offline OP
OP Offline
Thanks!
For those who might be interested in the future, I have added a breakdown of parts and measurements on some of the pictures. While doing that, I have accidentally broken the 2nd link in my original post. Sorry for that.

The trade-off for this device, of course, is that you need to spin it around manually all the way along the wire. This means you need a bucket truck. It was surprisingly painless: move the lasher 2 feet, spin it 2 times, repeat. The worst part is repositioning the bucket truck so many times. ALso being stuck in the bucket for hours in the rain.

Some improvements are needed:
- find a better way to hold the two halves together; the pipe clamps are simple ans strong but a PITA to apply and remove at every transfer;
- add a tensioning mechanism, probably just some kind of washer under the spool lid.

https://gmptools.com/nf/71517.htm

I know somebody also made an even simpler and inexpensive manual lasher but I believe that was Cable Spinning that seems to be out of business.

-Hal

CALIFORNIA PROPOSITION 65 WARNING: Some comments made by me are known to the State of California to cause irreversible brain damage and serious mental disorders leading to confinement.
Bruno Offline OP
OP Offline
Interesting design. They do away with spinning the spool around the cable bundle, by using a custom cylindrical spool inserted at one end around the bundle.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  EV607797 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums84
Topics94,262
Posts638,694
Members49,757
Most Online5,661
May 23rd, 2018
Popular Topics(Views)
211,098 Shoretel
187,704 CTX100 install
186,794 1a2 system
Newest Members
BPopilek, Rich F, LewisR, TDKs79, Buttinset
49,757 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
dexman 18
Toner 14
TDKs79 8
pvj 4
Who's Online Now
2 members (teleco, BobRobert), 110 guests, and 254 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Contact Us | Sponsored by Atcom: One of the best VoIP Phone Canada Suppliers for your business telephone system!| Terms of Service

Sundance Communications is not affiliated with any of the above manufacturers. Sundance Phone System Forums - VOIP & Cloud Phone Help
©Copyright Sundance Communications 1998-2024