web statisticsweb stats Business Phone Systems Tech Talk Forum - VOIP & Cloud Phone Help

Business Phone Systems

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#605881 11/29/16 09:44 PM
C64PC Offline OP
OP Offline
Hey guys! Years ago I used to work in the telecom field (installing copper and fiber)then there was a major layoff so I maanged to find work for an IT agency mainly mainframes (no joy). After years of fighting management I managed find a job elsewhere to a Telecom Agency where I became a field tech. My main job is working with old analog and digital phones. I work in various old buildings where I see 66, bix, krone blocks (all mixed together), bad conditions, and hardly labeled. So I am learning how to trace via tone tester, punching down, setting up voicemail; but I realized I forgotten a lot and I need to learn more (quickly) especially if I want to hold onto this position. I am learning as much as I can OJT, but it is not enough.
So can anyone recommended more sites like this one and what schools in NYC or online can help train me to be a better telecom phone tech. Need all the help I can. Thank you so much.

Last edited by C64PC; 11/29/16 09:44 PM.
Atcom VoIP Phones
VoIP Demo

Best VoIP Phones Canada

Visit Atcom to get started with your new business VoIP phone system ASAP
Turn up is quick, painless, and can often be done same day.
Let us show you how to do VoIP right, resulting in crystal clear call quality and easy-to-use features that make everyone happy!
Proudly serving Canada from coast to coast.

Dude,
I hate to say it but it's trial and error. Either you know it or not. Unless you have a good on the fly knowledge base IE an old timer on speed dial. You are going to be on your own alot. This is a dying trade with IT guys who think they can do it better. Uh huh NO

John 807
Admin
Admin
I've been on the Teracom mail list for several years, but I can't remember if I actually ordered the course or not. At $200, it's a bit pricey, but I would guess it's filled with a lot of refresher material. https://www.teracomtraining.com/textbook/t101.htm

Carl

I think any material or course available today is going to be more IT centric than ancient history. I doubt that material covering what you are doing would be a big seller. Besides, how would you condense a careers worth of learned knowledge into something that would be useful to a reader? All of us "old timers" learned our craft by actually doing the work and AFAIC that's the only way to do it. Yes, this is a dying trade. As far as the IT weenies that are taking over are concerned, all of that stuff is obsolete as is our jobs. About the only advice I can give you is to do your best and enjoy it while you can. Fortunately I'm ready to retire- and not a moment too soon.

-Hal

Might try searching through Sandman's site, he had a lot of how too stuff. Here's a start

Retired phone dude
C64PC Offline OP
OP Offline
Thank you for your reply. I am on the fence if telecom is a dying field, but I do agree IT wannabes are moving in along with project 'weekend warriors' who figure they can do it better or save money in the short rung. Anyway thank you for the advice.

Last edited by C64PC; 12/06/16 08:12 AM.
Well, you can look at it this way- if you become really proficient you will be one of the few left who can do this kind of work. Like 1A2 though, how much will be left as time goes on.

-Hal

Moderator-Vodavi, Vertical, XBlue
Moderator-Vodavi, Vertical, XBlue
Just be sure to document any wiring changes that you make on those old terminals. That's a CYA that you can take to the bank!

- Dave S. -

You can never appease your ideologue opponents.

Yes, please document all the wiring for the record.

Moderated by  dexman 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums84
Topics94,262
Posts638,693
Members49,757
Most Online5,661
May 23rd, 2018
Popular Topics(Views)
211,096 Shoretel
187,702 CTX100 install
186,790 1a2 system
Newest Members
BPopilek, Rich F, LewisR, TDKs79, Buttinset
49,757 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
dexman 18
Toner 14
TDKs79 8
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 115 guests, and 238 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Contact Us | Sponsored by Atcom: One of the best VoIP Phone Canada Suppliers for your business telephone system!| Terms of Service

Sundance Communications is not affiliated with any of the above manufacturers. Sundance Phone System Forums - VOIP & Cloud Phone Help
©Copyright Sundance Communications 1998-2024