web statisticsweb stats

Business Phone Systems

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
meisgq #605780 11/24/16 08:06 PM
I have a production lab that has 30 data drops to equipment with a 22' ceiling height. We used unistrut supported at the ceiling and floor. The conduit was connected to the unistrut with Minerlac 0B clamps. I have found nothing I like better.

Rcaman

Americom, Inc.
Where The Art And Science Of Communications Meet
Atcom VoIP Phones
VoIP Demo

Best VoIP Phones Canada

Visit Atcom to get started with your new business VoIP phone system ASAP
Turn up is quick, painless, and can often be done same day.
Let us show you how to do VoIP right, resulting in crystal clear call quality and easy-to-use features that make everyone happy!
Proudly serving Canada from coast to coast.

meisgq #605781 11/24/16 08:57 PM
ΒΌ" kindorff nuts and "Mae West" (mineralac) clamps.

Uhh, how could I forget those. You Guys are right. We call them "cowboys".

-Hal

meisgq #605892 11/30/16 04:09 AM
meisgq Offline OP
OP Offline
Sorry for the late response.

Sounds like there are basically two options:

1) Install a vertical piece of unistrut to support EMT
2) Install a strand of rope or support wire and strap the cable to it

Option 2 looks like the better option for a single data cable. Faster. Cheaper. Cleaner.

Shawn
Absolute Communications, Inc.
meisgq #605893 11/30/16 04:19 AM
Moderator-Vertical, Vodavi, 1A2, Outside Wire
Moderator-Vertical, Vodavi, 1A2, Outside Wire
I've encountered similar applications in commercial kitchens (actually school kitchens) where we needed to get network cables to the electric ovens and fryers, plus the POS terminals when the GC forgot to put pipe in the slab.

We screwed a 3/4" plumbing flange to the floor, SEE PICTURE HERE, added a 12" X 3/4" galvanized threaded nipple, then threaded a 3/4" X 3-hole FS (weatherproof) outlet box onto it. Of course, you can use any length of pipe from the floor flange to the bottom of the box.

From there, we would thread a full 10' length of 3/4" rigid conduit into this box and, if more height was needed (we're at almost 12 feet in length at this point), another portion of conduit was added. With everything being assembled wrench-tight, it's pretty solid, even with 20 feet of pipe.

In our installations, the box was fitted with the appropriate devices and we placed weatherproof covers to protect from the usual cleaning overspray.

Weatherproof outlet boxes are generally made with cheap aluminum alloy, however you can get type FS boxes made of galvanized cast iron ( LIKE THIS ) through an electrical supplier. They are solid as a rock if you have a harsh environment. If you're going more than 10' above the box, I would recommend that you spend the money on these instead of regular aluminum alloy ones.

Our final attachments above the ceiling were done using traditional fastening methods, such as threaded rod, Minerallac conduit clamps and Unistrut/Kindorf hardware to attach to the building structure.

Ed Vaughn, MBSWWYPBX
meisgq #605906 11/30/16 11:57 AM
I was going to suggest the same thing- RGC with a flange and FS box but I didn't think the OP would go for it. And you can get 20' lengths if you go to a plumbing supply.

-Hal

CALIFORNIA PROPOSITION 65 WARNING: Some comments made by me are known to the State of California to cause irreversible brain damage and serious mental disorders leading to confinement.
meisgq #605911 11/30/16 01:31 PM
We did one job using pipe flanges and rigid conduit. It was for a coal mine lab and MSHA required everything to be explosion proof. It was a lot of mechanical work and we actually hired a "mechanic" (only an electrician knows what I'm talking about) to do most of the rigid bending and intricate saddles and offsets. I'm not bad at it, but when the job was done, it looked like a work of art. It was well worth it to have the "mechanic" on the job when MSHA actually used that installation as an example of how to do it "safely and properly."

Rcaman

Americom, Inc.
Where The Art And Science Of Communications Meet
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Silversam 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums84
Topics94,282
Posts638,762
Members49,764
Most Online5,661
May 23rd, 2018
Popular Topics(Views)
211,436 Shoretel
188,278 CTX100 install
187,072 1a2 system
Newest Members
Nadisale, andreww, gohunt, Darrick, telecopippo
49,764 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
Toner 23
teleco 6
jc2it 4
dexman 4
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 103 guests, and 169 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Contact Us | Sponsored by Atcom: One of the best VoIP Phone Canada Suppliers for your business telephone system!| Terms of Service

Sundance Communications is not affiliated with any of the above manufacturers. Sundance Phone System Forums - VOIP & Cloud Phone Help
©Copyright Sundance Communications 1998-2024