web statisticsweb stats Business Phone Systems Tech Talk Forum - VOIP & Cloud Phone Help

Business Phone Systems

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
John807 Offline OP
OP Offline
Greetings,
With all the cable out there today, whenever I do a job I certify it.
What I found was if I use Remee cat 5e made in the states the runs certify at Cat 6 or just under out around 220 feet. Another mfr Syston barely certified 5e at 104 feet. My price on both boxes was around $20 difference. $134 for Syston cat 5e plenum and $154 for the plenum 5e Remee.

John 807
Atcom VoIP Phones
VoIP Demo

Best VoIP Phones Canada

Visit Atcom to get started with your new business VoIP phone system ASAP
Turn up is quick, painless, and can often be done same day.
Let us show you how to do VoIP right, resulting in crystal clear call quality and easy-to-use features that make everyone happy!
Proudly serving Canada from coast to coast.

Moderator-1A2, Cabling
Moderator-1A2, Cabling
We had cable that wouldn't certify better then Cat4 years ago. It was from a reputable manufacturer and they came out and investigated. Turns out they had a problem in the factory and the cable was wrapped too tightly or pulled too tightly, but in any event it was hosed.

With cable manufactured overseas I imagine there's very little - if any - quality control.

In my situation, the manufacturer replaced all the cable, but not the labor to pull it out and reinstall it. How did you do as far as getting your money back?

Sam

"Where are we going and why are we in this hand basket?"
John807 Offline OP
OP Offline
Fortunately I only guarenteed Cat 5e speed, so I was o.k.. I did tell my vendor that the Syston cable was sub par. I told my other vendor I will continue to buy Remee from him. Remee is manufactured in upstate N.Y. I would highly recommend you give it a try. No I don't have a stake in it, just a recommendation.

John 807
Never heard of either brand. I've settled on Hitachi Cable. Last few boxes were made in New Hampshire.

John807 Offline OP
OP Offline
Thanks I will look into that brand as well as I believe Olympia is manufactured in the US.

John 807
Spam Hunter
Online Content
Spam Hunter
An electronics retailer that I sometimes visit here in the metro Boston area sells Remee cabling. I can't say that I've purchased any, but, he has shelves of pull boxes, spools and reels.

I Love FEATURE 00
I never heard of either brand. I personally use ICC cable products as their prices are good and they offer a limited Lifetime warranty on all of their products and if you take their training they will warranty the labor too.

I'll use Berk-Tek or General Cable when the client requires it.

Patrick T. Caezza
Santa Paula, CA 93060
C-7 - Low Voltage System Contractor - Lic# 992448
Moderator-Vertical, Vodavi, 1A2, Outside Wire
Remmee, General Cable, Commscope, Nordx/CDT, Superior/Essex, Berk-Tek and Hitachi/Manchester are made in USA. Some of ICC's products are made in USA, but most are not.

Any brand must have a hologram label on the package certifying UL or other approved testing agencies' acceptance of the product. You won't find these on most offshore cable. That's your first sign. If it's not listed, it's not legal to install.

Ed Vaughn, MBSWWYPBX
Spam Hunter
Online Content
Spam Hunter
Some Commscope cabling is made in China. A few years ago, I discovered that riser rated product was no longer made domestically. That along with the fact that Commscope's 4-pair CAT3 cable is now CAT5 cable that fails certification testing.

I Love FEATURE 00
A lot of cable manufacturers are using the ETL mark instead of UL mark as it is faster and cheaper to get. I personally feel the ETL is not on the same level as the UL even though they claim to be.

Patrick T. Caezza
Santa Paula, CA 93060
Originally Posted by dexman
That along with the fact that Commscope's 4-pair CAT3 cable is now CAT5 cable that fails certification testing.

I've noticed that with some other manufacturers, Paul. I suspect that this is cable that failed factory testing, the process was set up incorrectly, or anything else that would cause it to not meet specs. Since CAT5 is the new norm, I suspect that they just sell their products that fail to meet this spec as CAT3.

Personally, I hate working with CAT5 or above for voice use, but the reality is, voice and data are now the same by industry standards, so we have to adapt. CAT4 and above wasn't ever meant to be used with voice systems.

There aren't a lot of suppliers that stock CAT3 cable in the four pair size anymore, at least not in large quantities. A few of our suppliers offer to sell us CAT5E for the same price as CAT3 just to avoid the hassle of a special order from the factory.

Ed Vaughn, MBSWWYPBX
Spam Hunter
Online Content
Spam Hunter
Hey Ed!

The failed CAT5 cables are fine if termination is on 110, BIX or Krone hardware. It becomes a bit of a hassle when punching the stuff down on 66 blocks. mad

I still have some boxes of old style Systimax CAT3 cables...as well as most of the AT&T shielded 2-pair that I bought from you years ago. I'm going to religate them to reserve status....not that I'm doing much in the way of cabling at this point.

I Love FEATURE 00
John807 Offline OP
OP Offline
Very interesting, the Remee cable that certified as Cat 6 or better at around 225 feet bears the ETL mark and the Syston that barely cracked 5e at 104 feet carries the UL plus hologram stamp. Maybe Just a bad box? The Syston stuff is definitely off shore stuff according to my distributor and Remee is US made.

John 807
ADI sells Remee and Honeywell brand cable - I have used both without any issues. Just did a small Cat 6 plenum job, all Honeywell cable and ICC jacks/panel.

Jeff Moss

Moss Communications
Computer Repair-Networking-Cabling
MBSWWYPBX, JGAE
Originally Posted by John807
Very interesting, the Remee cable that certified as Cat 6 or better at around 225 feet bears the ETL mark and the Syston that barely cracked 5e at 104 feet carries the UL plus hologram stamp. Maybe Just a bad box? The Syston stuff is definitely off shore stuff according to my distributor and Remee is US made.

UL or ETL testing has NOTHING to do with whether the cable meets any manufacturers certification specification. The listing is only to determine compliance with voltage breakdown between conductors(150 volts for CL2 or CM cable) and that the cable meets smoke emission and flame spread for the particular type of cable (general purpose- CM, riser- CMR or plenum- CMP).

-Hal

John807 Offline OP
OP Offline
Thanks Hal, Just rolling with what another poster said. So basically all the ETL or UL says for what ever the rating is. Is a burn and emission rating. Not a speed rating.

John 807
Moderator-1A2, Cabling
Moderator-1A2, Cabling
The only people that I figure would give a "Speed rating" to would be the EIA/TIA and possibly BICSI.

Sam

"Where are we going and why are we in this hand basket?"
Originally Posted by John807
Thanks Hal, Just rolling with what another poster said. So basically all the ETL or UL says for what ever the rating is. Is a burn and emission rating. Not a speed rating.

All the NEC cares about is the protection of life and property. They couldn't give a rat's patoot whether your CAT5e passes data, only that it doesn't harm anybody or burn the building down.

-Hal

CALIFORNIA PROPOSITION 65 WARNING: Some comments made by me are known to the State of California to cause irreversible brain damage and serious mental disorders leading to confinement.
Is everyone ready for the new LP communications cable and all of the NEC that will go with it?

Experiencing EMI on data cable can be very common these days with the higher speeds that are being pushed through the cabling. Run a data cable over the dimmers for several LED lights and it will cause EMI on the cable most of the time . Even the high-end equipment will be affected by it. I've had to fix this problem way to many times lately

Patrick T. Caezza
Santa Paula, CA 93060
We use West Penn Wire. Their CAT 5E certifies as CAT 6 out to 300 feet. We only use CAT 6 anymore. I just got tired of carrying several spools of the different cables, so everyone in the company only carries CAT 6 Plenum.

Hal is correct. The UL ratings only address conformance to voltage breakdown and smoke emissions when burning. The NEC is a Life Safety code and there is no specifications for BERT or speed compliance.

IEEE makes specification on data carrying bandwidth and the TIA/EIA usually follows the IEEE specifications.

Rcaman

Americom, Inc.
Where The Art And Science Of Communications Meet
John807 Offline OP
OP Offline
We still run a lot of cat 5e mostly clients that don't want to mix 5e and 6 in their space. We tried to tell them if we run 6 now it will cost less when we replace the 5e. The answer is usually we will probably move or 7 will be out by then.

John 807
CAT 7, which has not been adopted by TIA/EIA is already a standard. But, I doubt if anyone has installed it.

The next category cable is CAT 8. That WILL be adopted by TIA/EIA

Rcaman

Americom, Inc.
Where The Art And Science Of Communications Meet
We tried to tell them if we run 6 now it will cost less when we replace the 5e.

They will never have reason in their lifetime to replace the 5e. That is unless some IT weenie convinces them that the have to. doh

-Hal

CALIFORNIA PROPOSITION 65 WARNING: Some comments made by me are known to the State of California to cause irreversible brain damage and serious mental disorders leading to confinement.
But CAT 8 is only meant for the data centers according to the various bodies involved in its creation.

I don't know of anyone that makes anything for CAT 7 here in the states since it's not a recognized standard here.

Patrick T. Caezza
Santa Paula, CA 93060
Spam Hunter
Online Content
Spam Hunter
Despite its intended use as data center cabling, I suspect that CAT 8 will find its way into premises installations.

I Love FEATURE 00
Originally Posted by dexman
Despite its intended use as data center cabling, I suspect that CAT 8 will find its way into premises installations.

True, but it does have length limits

Patrick T. Caezza
Santa Paula, CA 93060
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  Silversam 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums84
Topics94,262
Posts638,693
Members49,757
Most Online5,661
May 23rd, 2018
Popular Topics(Views)
211,098 Shoretel
187,703 CTX100 install
186,793 1a2 system
Newest Members
BPopilek, Rich F, LewisR, TDKs79, Buttinset
49,757 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
dexman 18
Toner 14
TDKs79 8
Who's Online Now
2 members (Curlycord, dexman), 54 guests, and 245 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Contact Us | Sponsored by Atcom: One of the best VoIP Phone Canada Suppliers for your business telephone system!| Terms of Service

Sundance Communications is not affiliated with any of the above manufacturers. Sundance Phone System Forums - VOIP & Cloud Phone Help
©Copyright Sundance Communications 1998-2024