web statisticsweb stats Business Phone Systems Tech Talk Forum - VOIP & Cloud Phone Help

Business Phone Systems

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#28615 09/09/03 01:46 AM
chuck Offline OP
OP Offline
We have an old VVP voice mail system (Ver. 8.2) that sometimes doesn't start in the morning. When the customer comes in, the screen will display "General Failure Reading Drive C, Abort, Retry, Fail". What does the system do overnight? I'm thinking it exits to DOS to defrag or something, but I can't find any commands to do this. If I restart the system in the daytime I can't get it to fail! Thanks, guys.

Atcom VoIP Phones
VoIP Demo

Best VoIP Phones Canada

Visit Atcom to get started with your new business VoIP phone system ASAP
Turn up is quick, painless, and can often be done same day.
Let us show you how to do VoIP right, resulting in crystal clear call quality and easy-to-use features that make everyone happy!
Proudly serving Canada from coast to coast.

RIP Admin
RIP Admin
I would do a SCANDISK or CHKDSK, also look in the error messages to see if you can spot the problem.

Russ runs a local service and private tech center.

[Linked Image from sundance-communications.com][/url]
There is an option for the system to exit to DOS at a pre-determined time. And there are some batch files that are supposed to run.

It is in the general information screen.

As DTMF said check your hard drive, it may be going bad. (All hard drives will fail you just don't know when....)

DJ

chuck Offline OP
OP Offline
Yeah, that's what I was looking for! Thanks. By the way, this hard drive DOES have bad clusters, but we thought that scandisk/fix would solve our problems. We reloaded the VM system from floppies and hoped we would live happily ever after but still have that restart problems. Thanks again.

Our Key Voice VM hard drive failed. Although we have some of the files backed up (I think I have the VM folders intact) but starting the rmail application freezes every time.
I cannot find the installation diskettes - is there anyplace they can be downloaded from? I assume this is a serial/key protected software so I assume I just need to find my key file and I'd be all set?

Our version runs on DOS 6.2 - how do I tell what version that is if it won't run?

Last edited by bspargo; 11/15/16 08:33 PM.
Admin
Admin
You'll need the good copy of DOS 6.2, good copy of the Key Voice mail installation batch and the appropriate serial key dongle. Unsure what the rmail application is...

[Linked Image]
I have 6.2 and the dongle.
Somewhat messed up files from the VM but mostly there and recoverable I think. How would I get the Key Voice mail installation? That's what I cannot find. We got it back in the late 90s and it has run great for us... back in 2006 we had a flood at the building and alot of things like archived diskettes, etc went. So I think I do not have the originals anywhere.
rmail.exe is in the VM folder which appears to be the actual executable of the Key Voice software?

Last edited by bspargo; 11/16/16 10:50 AM.
I feel like Dr Frankenstein. I have made it ALIVE again. VVP 8.2, licensed with dongle. Do you think there is a download anywhere for disk images to keep as an archive in our cabinet for the next time we have a heart attack?

I'd use something to make a copy of the disk in the system now, like Symantec Ghost or Clonezilla. Easier to pop a working image back on then have to set up the auto attendant, etc again.

Jason Perkins
Network Engineer

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums84
Topics94,262
Posts638,693
Members49,757
Most Online5,661
May 23rd, 2018
Popular Topics(Views)
211,097 Shoretel
187,703 CTX100 install
186,792 1a2 system
Newest Members
BPopilek, Rich F, LewisR, TDKs79, Buttinset
49,757 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
dexman 18
Toner 14
TDKs79 8
Who's Online Now
1 members (Curlycord), 94 guests, and 242 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Contact Us | Sponsored by Atcom: One of the best VoIP Phone Canada Suppliers for your business telephone system!| Terms of Service

Sundance Communications is not affiliated with any of the above manufacturers. Sundance Phone System Forums - VOIP & Cloud Phone Help
©Copyright Sundance Communications 1998-2024