web statisticsweb stats Business Phone Systems Tech Talk Forum - VOIP & Cloud Phone Help

Business Phone Systems

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 2 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
This is strictly for my Partner system, so 2 pairs per station

For Partner and any other two pair station systems it's always been two pair crossconnect: W/B and W/O.

-Hal

CALIFORNIA PROPOSITION 65 WARNING: Some comments made by me are known to the State of California to cause irreversible brain damage and serious mental disorders leading to confinement.
Atcom VoIP Phones
VoIP Demo

Best VoIP Phones Canada

Visit Atcom to get started with your new business VoIP phone system ASAP
Turn up is quick, painless, and can often be done same day.
Let us show you how to do VoIP right, resulting in crystal clear call quality and easy-to-use features that make everyone happy!
Proudly serving Canada from coast to coast.

I have a bunch of different colors but normally use yellow/blue type F 24 gauge.

Jeff Moss

Moss Communications
Computer Repair-Networking-Cabling
MBSWWYPBX, JGAE
For electronic telephones requiring 2 pair, I use WE Red/Blue-Red/Orange cross connection wire.

Arthur P. Bloom
"30 years of faithful service...15 years on hold"

Moderator-1A2, Cabling
Moderator-1A2, Cabling
When I worked that AT&T ISDN plant we used the R/BL-R/O 2 pair too. W/BL fro SLTs and W/BN for power.

Sam

"Where are we going and why are we in this hand basket?"
ChrisRR Offline OP
Moderator-1A2
OP Offline
Moderator-1A2
I have to admit, I'm not a huge fan of multi pair cross connect wire. I have a spool of 3 pair I use for my 1A2 and I find it unwieldy. I know it's the right thing to use, but what a pain in the butt. I just can't get it to lay down nice with those pretty "drip loops" I've seen in some of the pictures of really good work on here. Mine just looks like crap. I try to do the drip loops but they end up going in every direction except down. Maybe Uncle Arthur will show me how it's done at the TCI show in June. smile

It takes experience and patience. I always wanted to strangle the guys who would take itty bitty pieces of cross connect to tie the cross connects together to make the frame look "neat". I was a maintenance tech. It took a long time to troubleshoot stuff trying to find those hidden little gems. My other pet peeve cross connecting from the bottom up. Gravity works.

John 807
Originally Posted by ChrisRR
I have to admit, I'm not a huge fan of multi pair cross connect wire. I have a spool of 3 pair I use for my 1A2 and I find it unwieldy. I know it's the right thing to use, but what a pain in the butt. I just can't get it to lay down nice with those pretty "drip loops" I've seen in some of the pictures of really good work on here. Mine just looks like crap. I try to do the drip loops but they end up going in every direction except down. Maybe Uncle Arthur will show me how it's done at the TCI show in June. smile

Maybe you aren't using type F if the pairs all seem to come apart. Give it a few twists before you punch it down.

I can't imagine using individual pairs if there are two or three going to the same place. I take the two or three pair in my left hand then maybe two or three inches from the end fan it out in order while holding it that way with my fingers. Then, all at the same time, I slip the wires through the slots and hook them on the 66 block clips. While still holding them in the hooks I form the loop with my right hand finger by applying a slight downward pressure. (Wire should be coming from above from the rings.) I adjust the individual wires on the clip hooks if necessary to see that all wire lengths are the same and the loop is not "coming apart". Then I punch them down.

It takes practice and dexterity but it actually is quite fast.

-Hal

Last edited by hbiss; 01/14/17 12:26 PM.

CALIFORNIA PROPOSITION 65 WARNING: Some comments made by me are known to the State of California to cause irreversible brain damage and serious mental disorders leading to confinement.
ChrisRR Offline OP
Moderator-1A2
OP Offline
Moderator-1A2
Originally Posted by hbiss
Maybe you aren't using type F if the pairs all seem to come apart. Give it a few twists before you punch it down.

It's not that the wires are coming apart, it just doesn't lay straight. It seems to hold too much of the curl from being on the reel. (Despite my best efforts.)

You need to run it through your thumb and finger first to take the "lay" out of it and make it sorta straight.

Like Hal says, it's just a matter of practice. Put a Help Wanted ad on Craig's List for "1A2 installer" and you'll get plenty of experience. I hear that there's plenty of 1A2 work in Afghanistan these days.

I agree that putting little tie-downs around them is a pain when trouble-shooting, but the number of times you need to go back into an installation are few and far between.

Arthur P. Bloom
"30 years of faithful service...15 years on hold"

ChrisRR Offline OP
Moderator-1A2
OP Offline
Moderator-1A2
Originally Posted by Arthur P. Bloom
Put a Help Wanted ad on Craig's List for "1A2 installer" and you'll get plenty of experience. I hear that there's plenty of 1A2 work in Afghanistan these days.

I hate to ask what kind of... ahem... improvised devices they would connect to all those unused line keys...

I think I'll stay up here in the frozen north and live with slightly messy jumpers on a phone system that hardly gets used.

In all seriousness, I will try both Hal's and Arthur's suggestions to make my install a bit nicer. I have a best offer in on some red/blue-red/orange x-conn on ebay. 2 pair for the digital stations, single pair to the SLT's and maybe I'll get another color for the CO stuff, but I'll probably do the single pair jumpers all in yellow/blue.

Page 2 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

Moderated by  Silversam 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums84
Topics94,262
Posts638,696
Members49,757
Most Online5,661
May 23rd, 2018
Popular Topics(Views)
211,098 Shoretel
187,707 CTX100 install
186,794 1a2 system
Newest Members
BPopilek, Rich F, LewisR, TDKs79, Buttinset
49,757 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
dexman 18
Toner 12
TDKs79 8
teleco 4
Who's Online Now
1 members (nonameyet), 110 guests, and 222 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Contact Us | Sponsored by Atcom: One of the best VoIP Phone Canada Suppliers for your business telephone system!| Terms of Service

Sundance Communications is not affiliated with any of the above manufacturers. Sundance Phone System Forums - VOIP & Cloud Phone Help
©Copyright Sundance Communications 1998-2024